Search found 360 matches

Return

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by pabenny
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New logo

On my screen (IE9), the upper right hand part of the l is cut off.
by pabenny
Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "100%" cashback sites retain £40m!

Back on topic and away from unnecessary sniping...

The 'cashback kept' as Richard describes it includes the £5 a year fee that Quidco charged all members until a free category was introduced 12(?) months ago. And TCB now also have a premium section.

I guess the 'cashback kept' heading also includes cashback forfeit by members who let their membership lapse.
by pabenny
Sat May 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone know what's up with Rpoints?

Luke_PieStalker wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:Anyone know what's up with Rpoints??

Where to start....????

Exactly. I think I signed up when the new owner launched it - or maybe my membership carried over but whichever it was I haven't visited in years. Whatever the buyers paid, it wasn't worth it.
by pabenny
Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trivago UK: The world's largest hotel search

2 shares. I don't think this will make it to my list of dailies.
by pabenny
Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: £13.50 cashback @ Money Dashboard!

This article might shed a little light

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/10931477/New-law-to-help-all-in-one-accounts.html

Yes it does
The British Bankers’ Association said it recognised the value of these services but also had “real concerns” about sharing bank details. “It’s like handing over the keys of your front door to a stranger,” a spokesman said.

It would prefer services that do not require account passwords and said banks are working on such technology.

I read this as a pretty strong signal to keep clear for now.
by pabenny
Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: weekly email?

Never had any track apart from Flight Haggle and Flight Search.
by pabenny
Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Accounts and Notice of AGM

Thanks for clarifying on the debtors/creditors. I am surprised that payouts are made before money is received - I assumed the long period between click and award was to allow for this.
by pabenny
Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Accounts and Notice of AGM

richard@imutual wrote:
pabenny wrote:I am surprised that payouts are made before money is received

It's the other way around.

Sorry - misread your response.
by pabenny
Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'm sad to see Marks & Spencer have left us

The biggest brands don't need to lure customers to shop online - hence no affiliate commission (=cashback). That's why amazon disappeared from cashback sites years ago - apart from occasionally in categories where they are trying to establish themselves. Ditto John Lewis, Argos (most of the time), and now M&S. It's why Boots and others also offer lower commission for existing customers.
by pabenny
Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cashback and discount codes

No prizes, Kev, just wanted other people's opinion.

I purchased through Another cashback website; my cashback tracked and then was rejected; my claim was also rejected. And when I complained, the response was b).

I think that is dishonest behaviour by the retailer. I accept that the cashback may not be forthcoming on this occasion, but I would expect the website to pushback to the retailer.
by pabenny
Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cashback and discount codes

A retailer prominently displays a discount code on their home page, valid for a few days. Promotion is visible whether visiting directly or from a cashback website.

Would you expect to earn cashback?

a) Yes, this is a general promotion, no reason to expect restrictions on cashback
b) No. Cashback website T&C say that cashback is not payable when a discount code is used
by pabenny
Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Love this one

Would this be considered acceptable if it showed a man beating a woman?

No, I thought not.

This is equally unacceptable.
by pabenny
Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Instant Access Rates

With current low rates there is very little difference between best and middling rates and unless you have a lot of cash that you need instant access to, it's barely worth the trouble of opening new accounts. 0.25% difference on £1000 is worth £2.50 gross. You can earn that in a moment by not having a Starbucks.

As I'm sure you know, the best rates are on current accounts (TSB, Santander and others), offset mortgages, regular savings accounts (especially those linked to having a current account - eg M&S, First Direct).

If you really want to chase down the best instant access accounts, try looking at MSE, moneyfacts or Which?
by pabenny
Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Website issues

kevinchess1 wrote:And me
I checked with This
And it was down :thumbdown:

Not come across that site before - useful. Thanks Kev.
by pabenny
Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fund Selection for ISA

Charges
Charges
Charges

Actively managed funds are rarely better than passive funds (index trackers):

If the fund manager's charges are, say 2% (not untypical), your fund has to beat the market by more than 2% in order to outperform a tracker. Yes, some funds do outperform, but do they consistently outperform. And can you identify which funds/managers will outperform in the future?

Few funds outperform the market by enough to justify the higher fees. If you are an active investor, willing to keep a close eye your funds, maybe go for managed funds. 'Close eye' means monitoring for changes in personnel, scrutinising performance almost daily, reacting quickly.

You may have got lucky in your choice of funds to date. Doesn't mean you will in future.
by pabenny
Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i don't even know what i would want to track? the FTSE100? there's no Index that i would want to 'back'.

Tracker funds track the market as a whole, or more specifically a broad segment of the market.

The FTSE100 is an index of the 100 largest companies listed in UK (meaning those with the highest market capitalisation). It is quite heavily skewed towards certain sectors - eg 14 of the members are in banking and financial services and there are quite a few mining and minerals companies.

The FTSE250 is the next 250 largest companies; the FTSE 350 is FTSE100 + FTSE 250, and the FTSE All-share index is all companies listed in the UK.

In my view the all share index is the best one to track as it better reflects the whole economy rather than being weighted towards certain sectors.

There are also index funds tracking foreign stock markets. These are inherently more risky for a Sterling investor because the value of the investment is also affected by currency fluctuations. The falls in the value of the pound against EUR and USD will have boosted the GBP values of funds denominated in other currencies (because a given amount of EUR now buys more GBP). Conversely a strengthening pound will depress the value of your holding. For this reason, I would avoid non-UK index trackers.
by pabenny
Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Longish explanation - with apologies if I'm telling you things you already know.

It is universally held that investors should hold a diversified portfolio to spread the risk - or in everyday language, don't put all of your eggs in one basket. So almost all the time, a holding of say, Barclays, Tesco, BAe, and BP, will perform better than one entirely of bank shares. A well diversified portfolio contains more than four companies and maybe also cash, bonds, and property.

Most private investors don't have enough money to make it worthwhile investing directly in individual companies. And dealing costs soon swallow up the gains from being an active trader. So watching and investing in individual companies may be interesting but isn't really a sound or practical investment strategy.

So most of us going into the markets do so through pooled or mutual funds - the sort of thing you buy as an ISA.

That's where charges come in. The investment manager charges you fees for his work and passes on expenses such as stamp duty. As I said in my first reply, passive/tracker funds have low annual charges whereas those for actively managed funds are typically 2-3% higher. The reason to choose an actively managed fund is because you believe it can beat the market. Clearly some do - and some don't. But unless they beat the market by more than the extra 2-3% fees - all of the extra return is swallowed up by the extra fees. And even a poorly-performing fund takes the fees, so you end up even worse off.

All of that said, if you want to treat investment as a hobby which might make you money - or could lose you money, if you enjoy monitoring company performance and news, reading tips and analysis, then fine. All of the above is still true and still relevant but be clear that your motivation is the interest and pleasure of investing rather than just the financial return.
by pabenny
Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...d i want something that Will beat the market...

Why try to beat the market?

The idea that any one fund, any one stock can reliably beat the market is fiction pushed by managers of active funds, marketers of active funds, share tipsters, etc.

Remember the correlation between risk and reward? Higher reward comes with higher risk, but ultimately it is like a roulette wheel where the dealer always wins in the long term: In the markets, an equal value of funds will beat the market as will underperform, because 'the market' is simply the sum of everything. Just like always choosing red (or black) on a roulette wheel. And just as there is a hole on the roulette wheel where the dealer wins, in the markets, the managers always win because they take their fees.

You may get lucky. Just as always betting on red, or using intuition to guide your bets can give a run or 'luck' at the table, your careful research and selection may give you a gain for a time. And then your 'luck' will turn and there is a sudden move in interest rates or exchange rates, or an accounting scandal.

In the medium to long term, higher fees will always wipe out superior performance.
by pabenny
Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In which case, I recommend the imutual merchants here.
by pabenny
Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Instant Access Rates

Increasingly the case that the best rates are here
by pabenny
Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What could you not live without

And unlike many stock cubes, it is low salt.
by pabenny
Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 20+ Ways To Be Paid...

Payment options that allow more than 100% value are always interesting.

Although TCB are offering redemptions at a big selection of stores, they're actually offering love2shop vouchers and then listing out stores that accept them as if they are a separate option.

amazon is probably the only one that interests me. I can bank amazon gift codes and so do not have a risk of losing or forgetting to spend.
by pabenny
Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cashback Tracking Notification

TCB immediately pops up a box saying 'we've recorded your visit' to xxx site. Since it's before any transaction takes place, its not confirm that you will earn/have earned cashback. I think they also confirm tracking the transaction - I have that turned off.

Q emails users when transactions move from tracked to confirmed and confirmed to payable. But doesn't report rejections.

Personally I get enough emails without adding more. I' would prefer a limited resource to be spent on maximising cashback rates, increasing the number of retailers and on improving reliability of tracking.
by pabenny
Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic