Search found 234 matches

Return

Re: MBNA to exit UK market

I'm not sure the headline is quite right.

MBNA (Maryland Bank something or other) was bought by Bank of America a few years back. MBNA USA has now become Bank of America Card Services but Bank of America has now decided to sell off other chunks of MBNA. I think MBNA Canada has already been sold, and they are looking for a buyer for MBNA Europe. This doesn't mean to say that MBNA Is going to 'exit the UK market', it just means to say that someone else will probably end up owning it, and depending on who it is they might decided to change some things.
by Constantine
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exclusive: £15 cashback for £10 deposit at Yipiii

mark_r_abcd wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but how do Yipiii make any money?

They get the cashback, I presume. Or hope to from people's continued use of the site.
by Constantine
Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

..You are correct in saying the independent Boundary Commission decides on boundaries. But it was the Tories who decided that it was in their interests to cut the number of MP's as most of those whose seats will disappear will belong to Labour not Tories. Another cynical power grab by the Tories.

Cynical? It is well established that there is currently an electoral bias in favour of Labour.

in 2005 Labour had a lead of 3 points over the Conservatives, and got a majority of over 60 seats; in 2010 the Conservatives had a lead of 7 points over Labour, but did not have an overall majority at all. Prima facie this appears unfair.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/electoral-bias/

Removing that bias is a good thing.

... So once again the minority of the country will vote for an Tory Govt with a large majority.

As opposed to a minority of the country voting for a Labour Govt with a large majority you mean? Like in 2005.
by Constantine
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We are not paying enough in disablity benefits

...There is no harm in borrowing money to help make the economy richer or in running a deficit. Yes there is. See Greece. An extreme example you cite, and nothing to do of course to do with the Greeks having an aversion to paying tax.

Of course it's a flippin extreme example. It's a pretty extreme when an entire nation goes bust. (But it happens.) The same thing would have happened here had we continued to run a deficit of 10% of GDP. (As we did back in 2010.) As it is, it's now down to 4% of GDP, which is lot better, but it is still a bit too big.

So there is a harm in "running a deficit". And "borrowing money to help make the economy richer" is the kind of excuse that politicians come up with to avoid making difficult decisions.
by Constantine
Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am not accusing any one party, I do not think the elderly in need or the disabled have been treated well by the Labour, Tory or Tory/LibDem coalition....

Yes you are. Don't fib. You said "Those most in need are being failed by the cost cutting Tory Govt."

...And of course the tribunal cases are only the tip of the iceberg. Many who are turned down just accept the decision. .

That could well be because it is the correct decision. You have a benefit. There is a threshold that sets who qualifies for this benefit. Some applicants meet this threshold, some don't. Of course, some people are going to get turned down. Why would anyone expect anything different.?

... And many who fill in the form do not know how to do it properly. A friend before his own health deteriorated used to do work for the Red Cross. Elderly people sent home from hospital get someone from the Red Cross going round to help them and fill in Attendance Allowance forms. He said it was usually like pulling teeth getting the details.

Well, yes. Some people suffer from mental health conditions. They have problems filling in forms, so they need help, and help is available. I'd guess that has always been the case.

...For example the question can you wash and dress yourself would be answered "yes", But Dave would eventually discover that they could but had to sit down to wash themselves and dressing took half an hour or even more. They felt that they could do it but the correct answer was no as they really needed help to wash and/or dress.

Having to 'sit down to do something and 'needing help' to do something are two very different things. But anyway, as far as PIP, or Attendance Allowance is concerned, people may well "eventually discover" that their needs change over time.

..So how many people should be getting disability benefits but are not? Yes, there are some who know how to work the system and get benefits they are not really entitled to but many, many more and not getting the benefits they should be getting.

What number qualifies as "many, many more"? What criteria are behind your "should"?

..And I blame every political party for letting down those most in need due to problems due to health, disability or age . None of them have clean hands over this scandal.

What scandal? All your opening post has highlighted is that people who disagree with a benefit award sometimes challenge the decision by utilising the tribunal system. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are not. Granted, in a perfect world, this wouldn't happen. But it isn't a peferct world.
by Constantine
Wed May 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

William Joseph wrote:...There is no harm in borrowing money to help make the economy richer or in running a deficit.

Yes there is. See Greece.
by Constantine
Wed May 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well I guess we all have our different opinions and never the twain will meet. I'm happy with that. It is what politics is all about.

I'm talking about economics not politics.

Nations that consistently run large deficits eventually run out of money and default. Irrespective of politics.

Politics only matters in that encompasses the BS that persuades people to ignore economics.:)
by Constantine
Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Angela Rayner has been to the Diane Abbott maths class."

blythburgh wrote:...PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A VOTE AND MAKE SURE YOU USE IT ON 8TH MAY. Sorry for shouting but I feel voting is so important. And I am talking to supporters of all parties and none.

It's even more important to turn up on the right day.:)

MAKE SURE YOU USE YOUR VOTE ON THE 8TH JUNE!
by Constantine
Sat May 13, 2017 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: An Accident waiting to happen...

Money spent tarting up a tower block by cladding the outside - meanwhile reports that the fire alarms weren't working...... and obviously the fire suppression (if it existed) was inadequate. Things that would have a company closed down, yet people young and old were housed there.

A quick makeover to increase the market value, but scrimping on the infrastructure - with the deaths now standing at almost the same number as the London terrorist attack, this needs to be a criminal investigation.

You are misinformed. Tarting up the tower block by cladding the outside (as you put it) had nothing to do with increasing market value. Grenfell Tower is council housing, The cladding was all about thermal insulation. It was a green thing.
by Constantine
Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

..The developers web site describes the cladding as "rain screen cladding" which although they would have also taken the opportunity to include insulation its main priority would be to stop the deterioration of the underlying concrete structure and the reinforcement by the ingress of moisture.

The cladding used in the refurbishment of Grenfell was Celotex RS5000 It's a PIR Insulation board "Designed to enhance the thermal performance of insulated façade systems" and "suitable for rainscreen cladding applications above 18 metres in height"

https://www.celotex.co.uk/products/rs5000
by Constantine
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whatever the product (and this one, with the polyethylene core is definitely suspect), cladding, whether for weatherproofing or insulation, is indeed a way of "tarting up" a building that needs attention. Even if not to increase the value, it is certainly to give residents a false sense that "something" structural has been done, at minimal cost.

The budget for the Grenfel Tower refurbishment was £10.3m. The scope of works included; New heating and hot water, New double glazed windows, Thermal cladding of the building, Smoke/safety and ventilation works, Improved foyer and door entry, Associated environmental works, 9 x new hidden homes, New nursery, New boxing club, Landscaping improvements.

That's not a "minimal cost", and it's a bit more than "tarting up".

The claim is made in today's Daily Mail that the fire-resistant version of the panels only costs £24 per square metre compared to £22 per square metre for the plastic cored 'flammable' version. Or £5,000 extra. Apparently.

..The cladding in question has been blamed for a very serious fire in Melbourne some 3 years ago. In a report, the Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the rapid vertical spread of the fire was “directly associated” with the external cladding..... exactly as with this one. Similar cladding was blamed for 3 major fires in Dubai. The idea of using an inflammable aluminium composite cladding on a building with only passive fire control was lunacy.

However, there are other things that need to be looked at - one of the residents tried to use a fire extinguisher, but it didn't work, the alarms didn't go off, the instructions for residents to stay in their flats led to them becoming trapped in the inferno. The fire control system was supposedly overhaule at the same time as the cladding was applied...... and another thing that was done was to upgrade the common central heating system. Somewhere along the line the passive fire control system failed and the fire spread from one flat to another and from one floor to another. How thois happened must be discovered and other similar tower blocks checked to ensure that, this time, lessons are learned.

There have been a number of fires in tower blocks where the cladding has been cited as responsible for the spread of the fire. Such as the fire at the aptly named Torch in Dubai in 2015. It is an 86 storey tower block. There was a serious fire. Everybody got out alive, largely because it was designed to cope with a serious fire.

I am inclined to the view that, as far as many of our 1970's built tower blocks are concerned, no amount of retrofitting can ever cure the basic design faults. We have to tear them down and rebuild.
by Constantine
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Mail calls for BBC to be impartial......

Aleays good to start the day with a joke!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4670592/Liam-Fox-slams-BBC-anti-Brexit-coverage.html

Daily Mail commits to absolute impartiality on any pro-Thatcher... )

Pro-Thatcher?

I think you'll find she's dead.

Time to move on, I would say. :)
by Constantine
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I find this unbelievable

The CPS has outlined the 'Statutory definition of consent' and addresses the question of 'capacity to consent'.

They refer to R v Bree [2007] EWCA 256, where it was decided that;

if, through drink, or for any other reason, a complainant had temporarily lost her capacity to choose whether to have sexual intercourse, she was not consenting, and subject to the defendant's state of mind, if intercourse took place, that would be rape. However, where a complainant had voluntarily consumed substantial quantities of alcohol, but nevertheless remained capable of choosing whether to have intercourse, and agreed to do so, that would not be rape.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/rape_and_sexual_offences/consent/#a03

It is the jury that decides whether or not the complainant was capable of giving consent and did so, or whether they lacked capacity and therefore could not consent.

What is also important is the bit about "subject to the defendant's state of mind". A basic principle of criminal law is that you need to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) both actus reus and mens rea - you have to prove that the accused did the deed, and that they were aware that the deed was indeed a crime. (Guilty mind an all that.)

We don't have access to the transcript of the trial. We don't know what evidence was presented by either the prosecution or the defence. But the jury did.
by Constantine
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I find this unbelievable

..I am still shocked at the outcome given what I read. But I have to accept the court ruling and leave it up to the powers that be to decide whether or not to appeal the court judgement...

You are reading far too much into the statement;

Claire Matthews, prosecuting, said witnesses described the alleged victim as being “falling over drunk”

That's what she says. But then, it's her job to present the case for the prosecution in the strongest possible way. We aren't told what the defence barrister said about the witnesses concerned. Neither do we know what the jury thought about their testimony.

I've sat on a jury, where the basis of the defence was two alibi witnesses. We, the jury, did not believe a bl00dy word. We found the toerag concerned guilty. He got five years. Not a rape case, but the same principle.
by Constantine
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Don't mention the rock!

Perhaps he should be asked about his country's failure to hand back Olivença to Portugal and it's disputes over territory in North Africa. Failing that, the Marines have already practiced the next move ..

Well yes, there are the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla in Morrocco. The Morroccans would like them back, no doubt to restore the territorial integrity of Morocco.
by Constantine
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Don't mention the rock!

macliam wrote:Now, I know you Brits aren't very good at remembering the past

I don't think you'll find many people around these days who can remember the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713.
by Constantine
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: best Daily Clicks?

PriceLog Flight & Hotel Search is two per day?!?

F*** me. First time I've heard of that. Why didn't anybody tell me? :)

Oh, I suppose Mr Expressman has done just that. Mega thanks, even if it is only thruppence. But then it is another golden crumb.
by Constantine
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: best Daily Clicks?

PriceLog Flight & Hotel Search is two per day?!?

F*** me. First time I've heard of that. Why didn't anybody tell me? :)

Oh, I suppose Mr Expressman has done just that. Mega thanks, even if it is only thruppence. But then it is another golden crumb.

It was posted elsewhere by diane4 and it is in the terms and conditions on the click page.

http://www.imutual.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=77952&hilit=PriceLog+Flight+%26amp%3B+Hotel

Thanks for that. Now you've made me feel even more stupid.:)
by Constantine
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carillion has "no future"?

Press comment states that Carillion was (and is) the most shorted stock in the FTSE. As it happens, I know that the FCA has some Short Selling Regulations and shorting has to be disclosed.

I've found you this website that uses the FCA data, and tells you which shares are being shorted
http://shorttracker.co.uk/

I'm not a member of the investment club. I'm just trying to be helpful here. But, for example, I'd suggest you don't buy any shares in Ocado. If there's a lot of people out there who think a company's share price is overvalued, it's a good idea to stay away from it, unless you really know something. Sometimes the shorters are bang on. As they were with Carillion.
by Constantine
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HS2 contracts have been awarded to the CEK joint venture, consisting of Carillion, Eiffage and Kier

The JV will build two tunnels;

Lot C2 – North Portal Chiltern Tunnels to Brackley £724m
Lot C3 – Brackley to Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel South Portal £616m

https://www.carillionplc.com/news-and-media/cek-carillion-eiffage-kier-joint-venture-awarded-two-hs2-lots-worth-1-4-bn/

The balance sheet has big holes and company is teetering on the brink. There is likely to be a rights issue, which will dilute our stake (i.e. reduces the value of our holding further) unless we participate (i.e. stump up cash). Are we prepared to participate?...

Odds on there will be a rights issue.

....I know HS2 has awarded a contract and this is to be welcomed, but they are withdrawing from market segments (Middle East) which will reduce future expected profits (and future losses which were until recently unexpected).

Bear in mind that HS2 is a government contract. If you were a private company or a government department setting up a 25 year PFI, would you place it with a company that may or may not see the year out?

They have "secure undertakings from all the members of the consortium that they will deliver that contract". Presumably, HMG expect the other two members to deliver, irrespective of what happens to Carillion.
by Constantine
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

kevinchess1 wrote:
Constantine wrote:...They have "secure undertakings from all the members of the consortium that they will deliver that contract".

Yes, I've had promises from builders too. :(

Ah yes, but did you get a "secure undertaking"? :)

And, no, I don't know what that means.
by Constantine
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blame Brexit?

Here are the latest trade figures.
http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02815

As you can see, the UK had a current account deficit of £84.5 billion in 2016. This is what economists call a sh*t load of money; or 4.4% of GDP. We have been funding this deficit by flogging off assets; stuff like prime London property and the likes of Weetabix and the House of Fraser which we sold to the Chinese.

Brexit or no Brexit, we can't go on for ever flooging off assets to Johnny foreigner just to pay the bills for all those iphones or whatever. Normally what happens to countries with large trade deficits is that their currency falls, making exports cheaper and imports more expensive. Johnny foreigner starts buying more of whatever the nation produces; the natives start grumbling about the rising price of jars of mayo, and buy less of the stuff.

The result of the EU referendum may well have triggered a fall in exchange rates for good old GBP. But part of me thinks it was inevitable that GBP would eventually fall in value. £84.5 billion is a lot of money.:)
by Constantine
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another 2p bites the dust

Daily clicks come, and daily clicks go. That has been the way of things since the beginning.

I must admit I don't know the detail of how this 'affiliate marketing' works in relation to daily clicks. But I have a suspicion that it works something along the lines of, website X promotes itself by offering 10p (or whatever) for every click through another website delivers to its site. Other people then set up websites that feature this click, and then sign up with a cashback website which can deliver them a regular stream of clicks. They hope to pocket the 10p, pay the cashback website 5p, and produce a regular stream of income.

What I think happens is that eventually website X comes to the conclusion that they are getting a lot of bl00dy clicks that are no good at all, they don't generate any income. As in no one actually books a flight. They may even do a little bit of research and discover that the clicks originate from members of a cashback website who are just doing it get 3p and have no intention of ever booking a flight to New York. So they basically kick the intermediary off the program.

Of course, I am only guessing here.
by Constantine
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Charlie Gard: facts, medicine and right-wing fictions

Here's a pretty good summary of this tragic case:
https://medium.com/@charlesarthur/charlie-gard-facts-medicine-and-right-wing-fictions-e4b933ed8c12

The full judgment:
https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/gosh-v-yates-and-gard-20170411-1.pdf

I'm curious, what's the "right-wing fiction"?
by Constantine
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic