Search found 35 matches

Return

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by richard@imutual
Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by kevinchess1
Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Beware - AMAZON scam

'Tis the season to be scammed!! :wtf:

Just a reminder to keep alert - the scammers are out and about!

SWMBO just asked me what I'd ordered from Amazon, as she had an email to say it was being delivered 23 December. I have nothing on order, so took a look - the email was quite good at first sight, from Amazon.co.uk, not .com, with an order number and a picture of the product,etc. ..... apart from the fact it's nothing I would ever buy. :?

Then I noticed the address details - her email as name, " Registered address, United Kingdom " as adress..... hmmm :think:

Looked further down the email " If you did not purchased this item and want to Cancel the transaction Please click on the link below ". Bingo - why can't these dorks ever spell-check (or grammar check) their scams :roll:

So, hit reply to see what spoof address was being used - Amazon <JGT-7841716@clozon.freshservice.com> , yeah, yeah. that'll be genuine then.

HOWEVER - she didn't know that, might have clicked the button and.........

Sent to Amazon via stop-spoofing@amazon.com
by macliam
Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New pound coin coming.

milo55 wrote:when do current coins become not legal tender ???

From the BBC report above ( :eh: ):
"The round £1 will be legal tender alongside the new, more-secure coin until 15 October."
by macliam
Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

when do current coins become not legal tender ???
From the BBC report above ( :eh: ):
"The round £1 will be legal tender alongside the new, more-secure coin until 15 October."

So raid the piggy bank etc between the new coins coming out and the 15th Oct as after than they will not be usuable. Might have a value to use as a bit of jewellery or to a collector if they are special enough or in mint condition but apart from that just scrap value.
No, that's the date to take the coins out of general circulation. There has to be an exchange programme for those who miss the cut-off date.......
by macliam
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope macliam is right and banks will take them for a time bu t unlike notes there is not promise on them.

I quote the Beeb:

T he new 12-sided £1 coin will enter circulation on 28 March, the government has said.
The round £1 will be legal tender alongside the new, more-secure coin until 15 October.
The public are being urged to use their current £1 coins or bank them before they lose their legal tender status.
The government estimates around a third of the £1.3 billion worth of coins stored in piggy banks or saving jars around the UK are the current £1 style.
Some of those returned by the public will be melted down and used to make the 12-sided version.

And what of those returned but not used in the new version?

Will the public have to pay for them to be stored?

Or will they be sold to game makers for a new style Monopoly?
by blythburgh
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, it's a little thinner and lighter although also slightly larger diameter than existing £1 coins. Major banks and post offices will continue to exchange old coins for some time after 15 October.

More answers here:
http://www.thenewpoundcoin.com/
by Sarah
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Instant Access Rates

Those who have/had the nationwide 5% reg saver ending - little inside info

One your 12 months rate of 5% ends
Move your money out
Apply to close the reg saver (instructions on nationwide account) - Basically send a secure message online
Check your online banking the day after
Once the reg saver has dissapeared from your listed online accounts (24-72 hours)
Reapply for another 5% reg saver
Opens instantly
Start all over again

I got a letter inviting me to open another 5% reg saver as my old one was ending, thought it was a mistake so phoned up to query it and was told the above is true annd its fine to do so.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
by Luke_PieStalker
Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Co-operative Bank struggles continue

As an account holder, I will stay with them. They are covered by the bank guarantee and I see no reason to dismiss ther past service and ethical outlook to jump into bed with the other banks......

Sad to see what can happen to a good business due to lack of oversight ..... but won't be the first, or last I suspect.
by macliam
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

..so their Cashback card is changing from a dual card account to a single card account.
by planteria
Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

TSB credit card still pays 1% cashback (subject to terms & qualifying current account) until 30 June 2018.
by Sarah
Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

good point re. TSB Sarah.. they rejected me when i applied last year, despite pushing good money through a current account with them.
by planteria
Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: clearing credit card in full each month / partial payments?

sorry not with you on this - my understanding of the credit history /file , is that in terms of building a good credit history/score ,potential lenders like to see regular payments once a month with a balance being carried over(so they see the potential to make money out of you )- but not too big a balance !!! , and not too many payments each month - as it would seem you are finding it hard to pay it off. Anyway this is my experience of how it seems to work
Except for internal applications with the same bank, a credit file doesn't contain too much information. Experian and Call Credit both show just the total amount of repayments made within the month. There is no count for the number of payments made.

I pay my balance off in full every month and never had any issues obtaining any other credit, including the best offers. I think people overthink credit ratings these days. Just make sure you keep up to date with payments and you'll be absolutely fine.
by Bruce
Tue May 23, 2017 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: clearing credit card in full each month / partial payments?

the theory is that leaving the full balance to 'register' as the monthly balance, and then clearing in full, such as by Direct Debit, is most beneficial.. and that partial payments during the month, which reduce the monthly balance, reduce the individual's record of 'Spend & Repay'.
by planteria
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: beating inflation

I've got over 50% of my savings in a Prudential Prudence Bond which is on track this year to make over 7% , since I took the bond out in 2002 it has averaged about 5%
by expressman33
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Current Account Interest/Rewards, Regular Savers, Direct Equities, Investment Bonds?

The current account options are well known - Santander, TSB, Tesco
Ditto regular savers - HSBC, First Direct, M&S - all require a current account

Equities...
There are quite a few shares with above inflation yields. You could buy, say Royal Dutch Shell, yielding more than 6%. But you would need to dig a bit deeper to understand why the historic yield is up there.

Note dividend yields are generally expressed as historic dividend as a % of current share price. Why is that important? Mostly because any bad news is factored into the share price - eg expected lower profits and potential lower dividend. There may have been share repurchases, announcements of rights issues, etc.

With equities, your capital is not preserved. So, worst case, you lose it all. If you'd bought RBS in 2007, your shares would now be practically worthless. If instead, you'd bought Barclays, your shares would be worth about half what they were then.

And then there is the question of diversification (all investment theory says you should not hold shares in one company or sector, but should spread your risk across different companies and sectors).

Oh. And dealing costs - ie the charges to buy and sell shares.

Corporate bonds
Best avoided as rises in interest rates will reduce the capital value. And given current levels, interest rates are only moving in one direction.
by pabenny
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a TSB current account, along with a Lloyds account which pays some useful interest.

I have the HSBC and M&S regular savers, along with one with Nationwide.
by planteria
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i currently have the

3% from TSB on £1500 (£45 a year)
3% from tescos on 2 sets of £3000 (£182 a year)
£3 a month from halifax (£36 a year)

when i can fully fund it will open a nationwide for the 5% on 2500 (£127), IF its still around when i could fully fund it, *when the m&s ends*

until then doing the m&s saver 3 months in to it to get the 3% on £250 pay pcm with really aint worth anything is it *current accounts are much better than pay monthly savers* (£41 a year, tho as it tops up they card i guess i could count that in then its worth a bit more)

and the dailys here .55p when everything tracks more like .40p really tho (£146 a year)
and qmee *another survey site, tho pays more for the effort vs swagbucks, i found anyways YMMV* at about £10 a week for 3 weeks now, so if stays that if not will see over time (£520 a year) *so the best thing im doing for easy extra money, aint even with banks, imutual bets all but 6K in tescos that not everyone can get both accounts now, and qmee is set to beat all if i stays are the avg i have been getting*

and ofc besides those things, buy to cex phones, when EE and CPW are silly enough to do ones for £10.99 / 100% return, for cashback £5 or better on offer + phone at cex about £5-£8 each, more depending on who the credit is for as its combi-able *only 02, and way to much live chat but oh well* all to one sim then pay by mobile gambling well not really as betting a set amount on zero red and black in roulette again gambling is it lol *for a return of £38.60 of £50.40 on a £40 or 4 x £10 sims*
by chrisking66
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First Direct

After many years as a loyal customer, I got fed up with Smile and the whole Coop Bank fiasco. So I decided to switch to First Direct, based on the many plaudits it has received. However, so far I am singularly unimpressed. Having spoken to them, I explained that I bank mainly online and like to deposit cheques by post, I was assured all would be well. My concerns about the actual transfer were assuaged, with many guarantees, etc., etc. :thumbup:

OK, so my account was set up, but the money I agreed to seed it with from my Smile account was never requested, so I transferred some funds manually. Then there was a total black hole, there was no communication of the DDs being set up or much else, until I phoned them. I felt decidedly uneasy. Then, for an online account, requested online, I had to stay on the line for 10 minutes whilst they "activated" the account and gave me a password for online access! I also had to request a paying-in book and envelopes because none had been supplied (despite my previous conversation with them). :roll:

The actual switch appears to have happened (but I'm yet to use it in anger or see if incoming funds arrive correctly), all funds have been transferred from my existing account, but my ISP did not draw against the new account via a DD and used my credit-card, charging me for the privilege (another thread, methinks). :x

I then set up the online access and....... it is possibly the worst I have seen and obviously just an adjunct to their telephone service. To access my account, I have to go to their main page and request online access. Then I get a separate quarter-screen secure intermediate window (for no apparent reason) followed by another tiny screen in it's own window with all browser functions disabled. This screen shows my balance, if I actually want to see or do more, I have to request it. Total garbage - I think I'll be changing bank again soon at this rate...... :thumbdown:
by macliam
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First Direct

OK, as I say, I'm not a quitter - and perhaps I will be won over by something in the longer run.

However, the online banking interface is awful and the best anyone says is "I've got used to it". For someone to claim to be an online bank and then to provide an interface that nobody defends is somewhat galling and hasn't provided the warmest welcome. It may be that I've been through a hiatus in joining - but I worry that their back-end operations seem to be stuck in the past.

I still have to sort out the situation with my ISP, which is a chicken and egg - the ISP claim the DD was not active, the bank says it was, I end up paying a charge to pay by Visa :(

However, I must say I'm also surprised at the attitude of Smile, who lost a long-term customer without a query or comment. Since requesting the transfer I heard not a dickiebird from them...... Personal banking, my arse. :shifty:

Still, at least it's still "free" here in the UK - Portuguese banks charge you just to have an account. :x
by macliam
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First Direct

For online they are probably not the best, but if you ever have to phone them they are leagues ahead of other banks.
by parchedpeas
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Topcashback Summer Treats Giveaways

Today's clue is Boohoo

23/08/2017 Nasty Gal (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/nasty-gal/)

24/08/2017 misguided (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/missguided/)

25/08/2017 Philips (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/philips-uk/)

26/08/2017 H Samuel (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/h-samuel/)

27/08/2017 Boohoo (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/boohoo/)
by bobster007
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic