Film Review: My Generation / Michael Caine

Boro Boy

Film Review: My Generation / Michael Caine

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 08 2018 11:23am

I was lucky enough last night to be invited at a pre-release viewing of My Generation at The Soho Hotel.

Characterised as "Michael Caine's joy ride through his youth" this film was not so much a history of Michael Caine but Michael's view of what was a revolutionary period of the 1960's, a time when London seemed to be the Centre of the World for fashion, music and talent of all kinds. This is all highlighted by following (in what seemed like a soft revolution and massive change) the lives of people such as Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, David Bailey, Marianne Faithfull, Twiggy and of course Michael Caine. This is all achieved in a light-hearted way although it deals with some serious subjects it all fits together well but hang on for what is a hectic but impressive, informative (whilst remaining light-hearted) view of a decade in an hour and a half.

Michael himself was due to be present at this viewing, unfortunately he has recently broken his ankle (painful) but he was represented by his beautiful wife and daughter. None of this detracted from the evening as the film is well worth watching and does not come across as the usual documentary style film, as it seems highly personalised; I would think Michael had a lot of involvement in the cutting room.

I give this a 4 out of 5 - try not to miss it when it reaches your local cinema - due for general release 14th March. Cert.12A
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Boro Boy

Re: Film Review: My Generation / Michael Caine

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 08 2018 12:20pm

I should have added there is a free exhibition on at 3 Carnaby Street open until 8pm until 21st March. Worth a visit, see: https://mygenerationmovie.co.uk/carnaby ... chingfilms

and the film overview: https://www.mygenerationmovie.co.uk

Have fun... :thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh

Fuggsy

Post by Fuggsy » Wed May 09 2018 9:27am

Not a lot of people know that...
Thanked by: blythburgh, Boro Boy

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri May 11 2018 9:07am

Fuggsy wrote:Not a lot of people know that...
Michael Caine has actually changed his name to his stage name: Michael Caine and was due at the Premier of the film but had broken his ankle and couldn't attend... Not a lot of people know that as well... Hope he is well now - national treasure!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri May 11 2018 9:20am

He lived in Lowestoft for a time. Not a lot of people know that.

He that he fell in love with his first wife in Lowestoft another thing not a lot of people know.

They were both in a play at the Marina Theatre, she was the leading lady of the rep company and he was a rookie actor. Not a lot of people know that.

The Marina Theatre is still a theatre and part time cinema not a lot of people outside of the area know that.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri May 11 2018 9:57am

Michael Caine never said "Not a lot of people know that".
It was Peter Sellers, impersonating Michael Caine on his answerphone. Sellers later repeated the line on Parkinson, and it stuck - wrongly attributed to Caine. Sellers has said that Caine used to quote Guinness World Records, finishing with the line that "there's not many people who know that." In Educating Rita, Caine does say it, but as an in-joke.

Not a lot of people know that.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri May 11 2018 10:30am

Chadwick wrote:Michael Caine never said "Not a lot of people know that".
It was Peter Sellers, impersonating Michael Caine on his answerphone. Sellers later repeated the line on Parkinson, and it stuck - wrongly attributed to Caine. Sellers has said that Caine used to quote Guinness World Records, finishing with the line that "there's not many people who know that." In Educating Rita, Caine does say it, but as an in-joke.

Not a lot of people know that.
I knew that

A lot of famous sayings come from speeches that are given by one person but are actually written by another who never, ever gets the credit. Not a lot of people know that.

I still think of Margaret Thatcher's cabinet as "the vegetables" and SIr Geoffrey Howe as "Humpty Howe". Satirical shows can leave a long lasting affect on my mind at times. Same as cartoons, SIr Harold MacMillan will always be Supermac to me.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler