Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Re: macliam's worse nightmare

Post by macliam » Fri Jun 22 2018 1:07am

kevinchess1 wrote:No, it;s not a tax on Quiona on Ciabatta bread sandwiches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFTeF74dyY
I thought fantasy football was something else entirely! :eh:
Only England could build their hopes so high on 1 game.......

..... and the way things are going, the "unstoppable" team seem unlikely to win the Rugby World Cup either ;)

Keep dreaming. :mrgreen:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

bprev

Post by bprev » Fri Jun 22 2018 11:22pm

Don't be biased..England could win something some day.probably the week after you win Euromillions Jackpot. The Lottery Jackpot, Thunderball and the Irish Lottery ,in the same week

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jun 23 2018 12:05am

bprev wrote:Don't be biased..England could win something some day.probably the week after you win Euromillions Jackpot. The Lottery Jackpot, Thunderball and the Irish Lottery ,in the same week
That's just cruel - by the time all those came together, Hell would most certainly have frozen over......

I'm sure England could win something - the best idea is to do what the septics do, create a sport hardly anyone else plays - and then have a "world series" between teams based in North America......... I know they tried with cricket, but then everyone else started to play - even Ireland, for god's sake!

Good luck on Sunday though - it'll be nice for the boys to meet their bankers :shifty:

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Jun 23 2018 12:29pm

In a 32 team competition Any eejit can pick one team and say they wont win
I could double down on that and say NI and ROI wont win
But the trick is to try and pick a winner
Haven't seem anyone do that yet
If you asked me before the WC started I would have said 'Germany' and the best non European team would be Uruguay
England to have their best tournament this century
Now thats its kick off and having watch some games I'm sticking with U but think Belgium will win it
I'm now more optimistic about England's chances
In the past we have been 'Unlucky' The Hand of god in 86. Germany lucky goal in 90
Beckhams sending off in 98
Brazil flukey goal in 02
Gerrards disallowed in 10
This year, in a game destined for a draw we got a late winner
Maybe the tide has turned, maybe
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jun 23 2018 2:03pm

Kev, I'm no football fan, so I don't follow teams and tend only to watch the big internationals. Every nation has its sob stories, every one thinks "we wuz robbed" - the second "Hand of God" against Ireland, Germany's loss in '66. Equally, there are the weird ones - Greece winning the Euros in Lisbon in 2004, etc., etc. The problem with the England team, any England team, is the ridiculous expectation, they are either sh*t or they are the best ever, no in-between. Normally they fail to meet that expectation and.......

From what I've seen, I don't think the Portuguese team has the quality to extend their Euro win (but they have Ronaldo), Spain are disappointing but still there, Argentina have a lifeline, Brazil have something to prove - Croatia were very strong and compact. Hard to call.

On another level, the invincible, super, world-beating Rugby team (pre 6-Nations) failed to win and have had a run of poor results ..... if they lose to South Africa today the tour will be a whitewash and the post-mortems will be bloody. Ireland have just beaten Australia to take their series 2-1 and win the Lansdowne cup Image(not without controversy over the refereeing) but after they lost the first game in the series, there was a determination to come back, not calls for Schmidt to be sacked as trainer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44558938
Thanked by: kevinchess1

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jun 24 2018 2:03pm

OK, I will hold my hand up - for the first time there is an England team who have not (yet) been hyped to high heaven - and they are playing well. I am impressed by their patience and strength to overcome the wrestling matches and the coolness of Harry Kane under pressure...... and the Rugby team actually won the last summer series game against South Africa too.

5-0 at half-time is probably flattering and says much about the quality of the opposition, equally the fact that Panama have got through the England defence on a couple of occasions is a worry, but so far they are doing well and all seem to be clicking.

How this will translate into games against better opposition, time will tell - but the team seems to be playing well. How they would react when they are down against a better team will be key. The match against Belgium - if it doesn't just end up as a tactical play-off - might tell us more, but for now Well Done England.

......I'm now off to wash my mouth out :mrgreen:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 25 2018 6:59am

So my mate, Father O'Macliam, goes to the church and kneels in prayer:

"Father God, I prayed and prayed that England would win the World Cup but we have been knocked out. Why, Father God did you let that happen?"

A voice booms out over the empty church, " My son, I rigged the group stages so they could get through but I could not bring myself to rig any matches. Sorry you lost your bet with Father O'Kevin and I just hope the sea is not too cold when you go skinny dipping at midnight as a result."
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jun 25 2018 4:08pm

Actually, the increased expectation of an England victory causes me to retread an old t̶y̶r̶e̶ joke

An England supporter is crossing the desert when his Lada overturns and he breaks his leg in several places. Whilst moaning and writhing in agony, his hand hits something buried in the sand - an old oil lamp!

Not knowing whether it would be worth a few quid on Bargain Hunt, the fan rubs off some of the grime.........and a Genie appears in a puff of smoke!

The genie tells the fan that he is grateful. blah, blah - and long story short. the fan can ask for anything he desires.

The fan says "I'd like my leg to be as good as new!"

But the genie shakes his head, looking at the mangled appendage "I was never too clever with surgery", he says, "Anything else?"

"I'd like England to win the World Cup" says the fan

The Genie sighs, shakes his head and says "Let me see that leg again....." :mrgreen:

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jun 25 2018 4:10pm

PS - someone posted this on another forum (I think they might be Belgian....)