Time for this (again)

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Should we ditch daylight saving time?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 10 2018 3:04pm

Remain as we are thanks!
24%
Leave clock-changing in the past!
76%

Total votes: 21

blythburgh

Re: Time for this (again)

Post by blythburgh » Tue Sep 04 2018 8:29am

Boro Boy wrote:
Chadwick wrote: What about in space, or near black holes, where time moves at different speeds?
Would half an hour be sufficient, or would we need to change it every few years, like a leap year?

(Yes, I have just read A Brief History of Time :ugeek: )
Is that suppose to be a show stopper or an attempt at humour...!?! :crazy:
I read it as humour and definitely not a showstopper
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Sep 04 2018 12:18pm

Boro Boy wrote:Is that suppose to be a show stopper or an attempt at humour...!?! :crazy:
Neither.
I saw your (presumed) tongue in cheek comments about half hours being taken seriously by blythburgh, and I thought to myself, 'how can I help clarify matters?'
Having thought of several ways I could defuse the escalating confusion, I carefully put them to one side and waded in with the most nonsensical rubbish I could think of at short notice.
You're welcome.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Sep 04 2018 12:51pm

Chadwick wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Is that suppose to be a show stopper or an attempt at humour...!?! :crazy:
Neither.
I saw your (presumed) tongue in cheek comments about half hours being taken seriously by blythburgh, and I thought to myself, 'how can I help clarify matters?'
Having thought of several ways I could defuse the escalating confusion, I carefully put them to one side and waded in with the most nonsensical rubbish I could think of at short notice.
You're welcome.
So you have assumed that the proposal to permanently move the clock 1/2 hour and sticking was not a realistic or responsible suggestion...!?! :eh:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 05 2018 8:06am

It is easy to calculate the time in other countries when we are on GMT or BST time but if we have a difference of plus or minus X hours and 30 mins it makes it far, far harder and more confusing.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Sep 05 2018 9:00am

blythburgh wrote:It is easy to calculate the time in other countries when we are on GMT or BST time but if we have a difference of plus or minus X hours and 30 mins it makes it far, far harder and more confusing.

9 + 0.5 = 12.3 (!?!) Yes you are right!!! Absolutely phenomenal task...! :think:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Sep 05 2018 10:32am

Boro Boy wrote:So you have assumed that the proposal to permanently move the clock 1/2 hour and sticking was not a realistic or responsible suggestion...!?! :eh:
Yes.
I thought your emoji was indicating you did too.

There are some places where half hour zones exist - Australia for example, but I think they're only useful if you're physically between two time zones and for some reason neither of those is suitable for you. To be honest, the Australian system makes no sense to me. With +8 one side and +10 the other, surely the obvious choice is +9.

It gets more complicated when you consider that South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Canberra and Tasmania all have daylight saving time, so for half the year they are a further hour out, creating 5 time zones.

It turns out the reason is... cricket.
Wikipedia wrote:In May 1899, South Australia advanced Central Standard Time by thirty minutes after lobbying by businesses who wanted to be closer to Melbourne time and cricketers and footballers who wanted more daylight to practice in the evenings, disregarding the common international practice of setting one-hour intervals between adjacent time zones. Attempts to correct these oddities in 1986 and 1994 were rejected.

So, the general convention is for 1hr zones, unless you need more time in the nets, or want to show allegiance to one neighbour at the expense of another.

[/geekmode] :geek:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 05 2018 11:15am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:It is easy to calculate the time in other countries when we are on GMT or BST time but if we have a difference of plus or minus X hours and 30 mins it makes it far, far harder and more confusing.

9 + 0.5 = 12.3 (!?!) Yes you are right!!! Absolutely phenomenal task...! :think:
It is obvious we are never going to agree on this one so no point in continuing to discuss.

But I am a woman and thereforecorrect, you are a man and therefore incorrect :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanked by: stockportcounty

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Sep 05 2018 3:05pm

Also the entire country of India has the same time zone which is 4.5 hours ahead of us
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Sep 06 2018 12:02am

kevinchess1 wrote:Also the entire country of India has the same time zone which is 4.5 hours ahead of us

...drowning in proof that 1/2 hour time changes work...! :thumbup:

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Oct 27 2018 11:00pm

Don't forget BSE end at tomorrow at 2 am
So put your cocks back

Bloomin daylight robbery
Politically incorrect since 69