World Cup

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
expressman33

World Cup

Post by expressman33 » Mon Dec 12 2022 1:05pm

Unpopular Opinion: I think this man did a fantastic job. Doesn’t deserve any of the hate he’s receiving online. Granted, some decisions were questionable, but ultimately he has defied all the odds to become the first blind man ever to referee at a World Cup. Image
Thanked by: tonyg, blythburgh

blythburgh

Re: World Cup

Post by blythburgh » Tue Dec 13 2022 8:03am

What a wonderful post. I am blind as a bat as to what is a tackle and what is a foul and when it is should lead to a penalty. But too many people who have played at the top level or have been commentating for years have complained about some of the refs in this tournament. Apparently one has even been sent home early.

On top of the World Cup in a place that only bribery led it to be chosen it is the final insult to all players and fans of the teams
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Dec 13 2022 1:01pm

Other referees seem to agree that Sampaio got all the big decisions correct. I note the claim isn't that he was on France's side, just that he was poor - but isn't it odd that England got the two penalties awarded?

Had it been the other way around then I might understand the claim, however one team scored two goals in open play and the other failed to score from two penalties.... so the reason for the loss seems obvious. England lost on penalties...... again. Imagine how awful the refereee would have been if the French had a first-choice lineup.

I think the soft opposition flattered England and did them no favours. After a disastrous start, France beat Denmark and Poland on their way up..... England drew with the USA and had Iran, Wales and Senegal to beat to get to their first real test.... which leg would you choose?

At least Sampaio's country is no longer an active participant in the World Cup...... imagine if he had been Argentinian, like the one for Morocco v Portugal......
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Dec 14 2022 9:00am

I have read people who really know what they are talking about that the way the Ref delayed the 2nd penalty that Kane missed could have been the cause. But in the end we could easily have gone out to the eventual champions. But of course what you expect to happen in football does not always
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Fri Dec 16 2022 5:31pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Dec 13 2022 1:01pm
I note the claim isn't that he was on France's side, just that he was poor
it was clear that he was poor and that his decision making, and that of the VAR team, which is even harder to understand, was very detrimental to England. i don't adhere to any of the conspiracy theories, but the outcomes were clear to see by anyone that understands the game. Upamecano and Hernandez could have had four bookings each. it wasn't a game in which the challenges were sly and that the referee was conned, many of them were just openly desperate/clumsy, but play was waved on.. and then fair tackles by England were unjustly punished.

the delay for the penalty certainly wasn't helpful blyth, but at his level he has to have the mental strength to hit the target regardless. despite the frustration re what had gone before, the second pen goes in, the momentum swings, and it could have been very different.

many said 'the winner of this quarter goes on to win the World Cup'. let's hope so.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Dec 16 2022 6:55pm

planteria wrote:
Fri Dec 16 2022 5:31pm
macliam wrote:
Tue Dec 13 2022 1:01pm
I note the claim isn't that he was on France's side, just that he was poor
it was clear that he was poor and that his decision making, and that of the VAR team, which is even harder to understand, was very detrimental to England. i don't adhere to any of the conspiracy theories, but the outcomes were clear to see by anyone that understands the game. Upamecano and Hernandez could have had four bookings each. it wasn't a game in which the challenges were sly and that the referee was conned, many of them were just openly desperate/clumsy, but play was waved on.. and then fair tackles by England were unjustly punished.

the delay for the penalty certainly wasn't helpful blyth, but at his level he has to have the mental strength to hit the target regardless. despite the frustration re what had gone before, the second pen goes in, the momentum swings, and it could have been very different.

many said 'the winner of this quarter goes on to win the World Cup'. let's hope so.
Well, I'm sure that you and your advisors are better placed than professional referees to comment.....

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 17 2022 10:41am

I tend to think that former professional footballers know what they are talking about. And the thinking of some was that delay gave Kane the time to overthink it instead of being more spontaneous of it.

What I find so hard to believe is that FIFA think this is the best world cup ever. And that despite all the money they have made out of it and all the money Qatar has the workers who were injured during the building/maintenance of the stadia or the families of those who died are still being ignored.

Reminds me of being a child when there was a major flu outbreak. As my parents had a care home then called a nursing home (Mum had been a nurse). Needless to say with some frail as well as older people some of them died. A Doctor was called to confirm the sad news, he was a locum who was just staring in his GP career. Apparently he was loath to have to record another death from flu as it looked as if he was not doing his job properly and missing over illnesses. My Dad suggested heart failure as the lady's heart had stopped beating. Great idea said the relieved GP who said he would be able to put them down instead of flu sometimes.

And it is really surprising how many workers in Qatar had heart attacks. Maybe a few did due to being expected to work so hard in the heat of the day but I would say almost all of them were due to falls. Health and safety has been lacking in the building work

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Dec 17 2022 12:45pm

I tend to think that when England lose it is always someone else's fault.... and the pundits play into this illusion. Just like the "fact" that the EU did things to hurt the UK economy or that the French are helping migrants to enter illegally.

Every country can claim bias....

planteria

Post by planteria » Sat Dec 17 2022 7:12pm

and yours is bitterly anti-England, seemingly. a bit odd, but no problem, we move forwards.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Dec 17 2022 8:17pm

planteria wrote:
Sat Dec 17 2022 7:12pm
and yours is bitterly anti-England, seemingly. a bit odd, but no problem, we move forwards.
Always the stock reply to anyone who challenges the status quo...... as I recall during the recent "divorce process" - how well did that go? The good news is, that like then, my opinion is shared by most of the world - the England team were good, but not good enough.

England played well, against limited opposition, but not well enough to match top-class opposition. Inr "the match", England had more of the ball and more shots on goal than the French, but failed to convert that to goals. England had two penalties awarded in their favour and only one yellow card against, with the French receiving three.... yet somehow the referee was biased against them. Kane failed to score his second penalty (surely his job?) because the referee "made him wait too long"........

Maybe next time.