EU Ref

Media articles about money-saving topics

Leave or Stay the EU

You may select 1 option

View results

Chadwick

Re: EU Ref

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jun 29 2016 11:05am

It will be interesting to see what happens when Parliament discusses this. Before the vote, MPs were overwhelmingly in favour of staying in. They will now be asked to pass a law for the exact opposite of what they believe to be right.
Whilst politicians are particularly adept at wearing two hats (or two faces), this will nonetheless be an awkward debate. One of the reasons for leaving was that we are governed by people we didn't elect. To fix this, we have made a decision by people we didn't elect. If we leave it up to the people we DID elect (the UK parliament), I wonder what the outcome will be?
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 29 2016 8:50pm

Are any turf accountants running a book on this yet? Maybe a good time for a flutter?

Brexit won't happen in the end – here's why
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 06996.html

dorisifa

Post by dorisifa » Thu Jun 30 2016 12:35pm

So Gove betrays Boris after both betrayed Dave, and Boris out of the race. Politicians on all sides amid the uncertainty and chaos busy robbing corpses on the battlefield.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jun 30 2016 2:01pm

dorisifa wrote:So Gove betrays Boris after both betrayed Dave, and Boris out of the race. Politicians on all sides amid the uncertainty and chaos busy robbing corpses on the battlefield.
Situation normal?

Lucky old UK will have a second-rate PM after the pyrrhic victory of Brexit and possibly overseeing its demise.......

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

dorisifa

Post by dorisifa » Thu Jun 30 2016 2:28pm

To be fair we have a second-rate PM already. Gove apparently greenlighted by NewsCorp and Mail to usurp Boris.
Any odds on Murdoch just buying and corporating the UK before the years out?
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Jun 30 2016 3:12pm

#omnishambles

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jul 01 2016 2:01pm

Sarah wrote:Lib Dems to pledge British return to EU in next general election
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election

Well, it might win a few votes, if anyone actually believes it...!
Lib Dems pulled off a big swing from all other parties (taking plenty of votes from Conservative, UKIP and Labour) in yesterday's Mole Valley council by-election:
http://www.libdemvoice.org/good-news-a- ... 51158.html
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 04 2016 10:05am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36700350

A legal firm is claiming that Britain can't trigger Article 50 without the consent of Parliament. ie. A Prime Minister cannot do it alone - they have to get it agreed by Parliament first.

I'm surprised this is even open to debate. Parliament is our sovereign law-making body, not the vox pop of a referendum, nor the whims of a single Prime Minister. We decide much lesser matters in Parliament, surely the repeal of a law of this magnitude has to go through Parliament?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 04 2016 10:19am

Chadwick wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36700350

A legal firm is claiming that Britain can't trigger Article 50 without the consent of Parliament. ie. A Prime Minister cannot do it alone - they have to get it agreed by Parliament first.

I'm surprised this is even open to debate. Parliament is our sovereign law-making body, not the vox pop of a referendum, nor the whims of a single Prime Minister. We decide much lesser matters in Parliament, surely the repeal of a law of this magnitude has to go through Parliament?
I agree this has to be thoroughly debated in Parliament. But could they really go against the referendum result?

Personally I would like a second referendum when we know what the Brexit negotiations result in. Or should we leave the final decision to MPS after all the negotiations?

And those give the vote to those most affected by the result who are currently voiceless. Namely those ex pats who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years and the 16/17 year olds. After all the ex pats were promised a vote (well if makes sense to the Govt, because they will mostly vote Tory) and 16/17 year olds got the vote for the Scottish Referendum
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jul 04 2016 10:24am

blythburgh wrote:
Chadwick wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36700350

I agree this has to be thoroughly debated in Parliament. But could they really go against the referendum result?

Personally I would like a second referendum when we know what the Brexit negotiations result in. Or should we leave the final decision to MPS after all the negotiations?

And those give the vote to those most affected by the result who are currently voiceless. Namely those ex pats who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years and the 16/17 year olds. After all the ex pats were promised a vote (well if makes sense to the Govt, because they will mostly vote Tory) and 16/17 year olds got the vote for the Scottish Referendum
As I have said in the past, we elect our MPs to do a job (Yes I know they are useless at it) Let them get on with it. We should not have had the first referendum, never mind a second. it was all about Cameron trying to appease the right wingers in the conservative party and failed miserably.