National Insurance credits for Family members who care for a child

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: National Insurance credits for Family members who care for a child

Postby blythburgh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 am

I wonder if it is possible to never have paid NI for one reason or another and not having a spouse with qualifying credits to get a proper state pension.

Or are these people getting a state pension via the pension credit thingy or are they getting money from the DSS, not sure what it is called these days but I know at one time it was called Income Support (maybe still is until everyone is on the new system, but I think the new system is only for people who were born before a certain date which again I am not sure of.) Time for this ignoramus to start earning and stop yapping :lol:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby macliam » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:11 pm

The interesting thing is that the change to 35 years from 30 to qualify for a full pension started AFTER I had retired from my job on a private pension, but not yet getting the state pension.......

I had 32+ years NI payments from my last job, but then things are complicated as I would have some credits, some self-employed stamps (about a year) and then some social wefare payments made in the Republic when I managed an English-owned factory there....... so I thought I'd find out where I stand and what, if anything, I should do.....

Problem. I'm over 55 so the online calculator doesn't work for me ..... and neither did requesting a personal statement (even when I contacted my MP). There was so much garbage spouted that I gave up. I'll see what I get when I qualify by age - and then moan! :roll:

I also asked about SWMBOs entitlement, should anything happen to me - and hit the NI issue again (which remains unresolved).

The systems are totally screwed up - if you don't fall within "normal" parameters, there is nobody to speak to and nobody really gives a toss. As with the recently reported "nationality" issues, all these problems could probably be sorted out in five minutes - if you could actually speak to someone who does more than direct you back to the systems that didn't work in the first place :twisted:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburgh
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby expressman33 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 pm

macliam wrote:The interesting thing is that the change to 35 years from 30 to qualify for a full pension started AFTER I had retired from my job on a private pension, but not yet getting the state pension.......

I had 32+ years NI payments from my last job,

Any grandchilden you could look after for 3 years ??

expressman33

Postby macliam » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm

expressman33 wrote:
macliam wrote:The interesting thing is that the change to 35 years from 30 to qualify for a full pension started AFTER I had retired from my job on a private pension, but not yet getting the state pension.......

Not of my own - and I have a funny feeling there might be objections if I borrowed someone else's ;)

macliam

Postby expressman33 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 pm

macliam wrote:
expressman33 wrote:

Not of my own - and I have a funny feeling there might be objections if I borrowed someone else's ;)

What counts as a family member
1) mother or father
2) grandparent, great-grandparent or great-great-grandparent
3) brother or sister
4) aunt or uncle
5) husband or wife or former husband or wife of anyone in 1 to 6
6) civil partner or former civil partner of anyone in 1 to 6
7) partner or former partner of anyone in 1 to 8
8) son or daughter of anyone in 5 to 9
9) in respect of the son or daughter of anyone in 6, that person’s:

husband or wife or former husband or wife
civil partner or former civil partner, or
partner or former partner
For 5 (in relation to the child) and for 6 (in relation to the parent) include:

a half-brother or half-sister
step-brother or step-sister
an adopted brother or an adopted sister
For 9, a partner is the other member of a couple consisting of:

a man and woman who are not married to each other but are living together as husband and wife, or
two people of the same sex who are not civil partners of each other but are living together as if they were civil partners

expressman33

Postby Pandora » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 am

blythburgh wrote:I wonder if it is possible to never have paid NI for one reason or another and not having a spouse with qualifying credits to get a proper state pension. ...

There must be at least some people who were born with disabilities that prevent them from work, but who would nevertheless accumulate an NI record that will pay them a full new State Pension.

blythburgh wrote:...Or are these people getting a state pension via the pension credit thingy or are they getting money from the DSS, not sure what it is called these days but I know at one time it was called Income Support (maybe still is until everyone is on the new system, but I think the new system is only for people who were born before a certain date which again I am not sure of.) Time for this ignoramus to start earning and stop yapping :lol:

There are a whole bunch of ways of getting NI credits.
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-c ... ligibility

Pandora

Postby Pandora » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:01 am

I am in a similarish position, having stopped full time working with 30 years credits, only then to discover the frickin rules have changed. Although I believe that even 30/35ths of the new State Pension would be more than the old Basic State Pension.

The fall back position would be, that you can always pay voluntary Class 3 contributions to plug any gaps. Currently £14.10 a week.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-i ... tributions

Pandora

Postby macliam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:13 am

Pandora wrote:

I am in a similarish position, having stopped full time working with 30 years credits, only then to discover the frickin rules have changed. Although I believe that even 30/35ths of the new State Pension would be more than the old Basic State Pension.

The fall back position would be, that you can always pay voluntary Class 3 contributions to plug any gaps. Currently £14.10 a week.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-i ... tributions

I'd be "happy" to do that, but, catch-22, first I need to know where I stand! That's why I tried to get a pension statement. Having gone to Uni in the UK, I might have more contributions (with credits) than I need, but.........

macliam

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 am

You could press your MP to get clafication for you, macliam.

Oops, Therese Coffey has a job for life so no need to push herself hard to get votes. And IMHP not the best MP in the House of Commons. I cannot remember the details but there was a letter in the local rag (Currently part of Waveney DIstrict Council is part of your constituency and the writer lives in that part). The letter writer was concerned about local flooding risk, Dr Coffey is the minister in charge of flood prevention. The letter writer clearly felt her response was very poor.

So if she cannot give a constituent a clear answer on something that she has ministerial responsibility for I do not think she will be a lot of help for anything else.

It really is unfair on those who planned their lives on getting a full pension and then due to retiring before the state pension age do not qualify.

But the most worrying thing is one person here, and no doubt many others in the country, cannot get a pension forecast. It is not something that has to be done by a person with a pen and paper doing arithmetic. Just feed the details into a computer and you should be able to get the full details.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby macliam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 am

Yes bb, I had to keep my fingers crossed when contacting dear Therese.

I doubt she remembers me from when she canvassed for her new job. This dumpy,bespectacled tweed-wearer knocked on my door and asked "Can we count on your vote?". I can assure you that Dr. Coffey can move quite quickly - because she certainly disappeared instantly when I replied "Only when Hell freezes over!". Not great on the counter-argument it would seem :mrgreen:

However, when I wrote to her she did actually get her people to contact the relevant mandarins - and I got meaningless Sir Humphrey drivel from them in response, but no help and no ownership. So I did get an answer, just not an answer that was of any use :roll:

Of course, now she's a minister, I might not even get that far.......
macliam

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property