National Insurance credits for Family members who care for a child

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: National Insurance credits for Family members who care for a child

Postby macliam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Re-checking, there now seems to be a checker for NI contributions - YAY!!! :thumbup:

So, logged on - it wants your "Government Gateway" signon, so tough luck if you've never had to do this, you'll have to apply and wait. :evil: - But not for me!! I have my signon :thumbup:

But now it wants further confirmation ..... by phone, mobile or app. I chose app, download Google Authenticator. :roll:
Use camera on the QR code displayed and type in number. No comment, presume OK :eh:

Then it wants to further check my identity. No problem, give Address, etc :thumbup:

Now it contacts a credit checking agency for further confirmation :shock:
Questions like "what Credit Card did you apply for in 2007" :wtf:

Then, no warning, "Too many attempts" and locked out for 24 hours!!!!!!!

They asked for comments ...... steam was coming from the keyboard!! I didn't realise my NI contributions were more important than my Bank details!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburgh
macliam

Postby bobster007 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Think you can ask for your NI contributions printed out and sent to you without the need to sign in.

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insur ... s-to-apply

Near bottom there is a other way to apply drop down/link.

Think that was what I performed whilst assisting my uncle last year on this. It takes a couple of weeks to be sent though

bobster007

Postby macliam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm

OK, I tried again for my pension statement - now via an online app as well.

It asked for my Government Gateway signon again - fine - but now it uses a different authenticator!!! Downloaded a Post Office app and got my forecast via the code generated by that. It looks like I'll get about £18 less than the max due to having been contracted out, so I'm not too bothered as I think it's a general issue that has already been discussed.

So, then I thought "let's see about the NI contributions again", but, oh no, Post Office authentication doesn't work there! It wants the code generated by Google authenticator, but then locked me out again!

Total garbage - and we're paying for this!!

macliam

Postby blythburgh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 am

On a similar theme how many know about this which is being discussed on Woman's Hour (BBC Radio 4) today:

From April 2017 families with more than two children will no longer be able to claim tax credit on third and subsequent children. An exception will be made for third children born as a result of rape. Jenni discusses the impact of this change with Sarah Champion, MP for Rotherham and Shadow Secretary of State for Women and Equalities and Sarah Green, Co-Director of End Violence Against Women.
Last edited by blythburgh on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby blythburgh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 am

Wonder how much it is costing macliam to replace the computer and the window he broke. Can he claim costs back from Govt. as it was their website that caused him to throw said computer through the window in the first place.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby macliam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:58 am

blythburgh wrote:Wonder how much it is costing macliam to replace the computer and the window he broke. Can he claim costs back from Govt. as it was their website that caused him to throw said computer through the window in the first place.

:mrgreen:

The problem is, as an ex-IT guy I can see the issues and the mistakes .... so it's frustrating to see that lessons I thought were long learned seem to come back.

Firstly, I applaud the trial of an external authenticator to reduce the threat of identity theft, but I can't understand why two linked departments are taking different approaches .... one using a generic Google tool and the other using one hosted by the Post Office, etc. If you want to run a beta-trial, run a beta-trial and then evaluate the outcome .... but don't run two products at the same time

Secondly, if the user inputs incorrect information, you MUST inform them. By all means keep a count of errors and implement a "three strikes and you're out" policy, but you must ensure that any error is not due to misunderstanding of "fat finger" issues. I still don't understand why I was locked out of the NI system - twice!

In a commercial environment, you really don't get the opportunity to make such mistakes without comeback ..... but I fear this may not be the case in this situation :(

macliam

Previous

Return to Finance & property