New £10 note

Money, investing, mutuals etc

New £10 note

Postby expressman33 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

The New polymer £10 note comes into circulation tomorrow ( 14th Sept 17)

Don't forget to spend any old £1 coins before 15th Oct 17 - so check piggy banks and back of the sofa

expressman33

Re: New £10 note

Postby Bruce » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Will anywhere (e.g. banks and Post Offices) take the old £1 coins after 15th October? I'm still receiving them in change from a parking meter at my local shopping centre.

I try to avoid cash as much as possible these days and rarely carry any coins on my person. Just a few annoying places that still insist on cash.

Thanked by: xxxraichxxxblythburgh
Bruce

Sharing: *

Postby William Joseph » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Bruce wrote:Will anywhere (e.g. banks and Post Offices) take the old £1 coins after 15th October? I'm still receiving them in change from a parking meter at my local shopping centre.

I try to avoid cash as much as possible these days and rarely carry any coins on my person. Just a few annoying places that still insist on cash.
Most Banks will still take them not sure about Post Office. But my guess is they will. Normally banks will expect you to have an account before they change them for you. They will just not be able to be used in the shops.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: blythburghDream onBruce
William Joseph

Postby Denant » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Bruce wrote:Will anywhere (e.g. banks and Post Offices) take the old £1 coins after 15th October? I'm still receiving them in change from a parking meter at my local shopping centre.

Sadly this is the way that we are being led,small businessess do not get a good a card transaction deal as the big boys so for them cash is the best way forward still, people who don't manage their accounts well will go overdrawn especially when they don't want receipts to check against statements,as for £1 old coins i'm sure that like the old £5 banks will change them for you,if you still have a bank that's not a coffee shop/pub or charity shop.
Nothing personal just putting my 2p worth in ....
I do carry more change than that though :thumbup:
Free tea, coffee and biscuits available here Less than an armful ;o)

Thanked by: blythburghDream onBruce
Denant

Postby Luke_PieStalker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm

I understand peoples concerns - i think the best thing to do is to send all unwanted currency to myself and i will take responsiblity for disposing of it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanked by: blythburghChadwickkevinchess1pabennymilo55BruceDenant
Luke_PieStalker

Postby kevinchess1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

You say old fivers are not legal tender anymore but I found one in blythburgh drawers when she was making me breakfast one day.
I put it into the pink thong of a dancer at Brown Jelly and they never said a word :thumbup:
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: blythburgh
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby blythburgh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:18 am

kevinchess1 wrote:You say old fivers are not legal tender anymore but I found one in blythburgh drawers when she was making me breakfast one day.
I put it into the pink thong of a dancer at Brown Jelly and they never said a word :thumbup:

That was the one you put in my knickers last week, Kev
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: kevinchess1
blythburgh

Postby blythburgh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 am

Big problem is shops etc are supposed to bag the new and old coins separately but they are mixing them up so the B of E is having to extend the use by date. But if possible get rid of them first and check all places where they might be hiding in your home.

I keep getting them but then again for me cash is king. You never go overdrawn from your purse/wallet :thumbup:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Chadwick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I got one of the new tenners from an ATM last week. Obviously I checked to see if I'd got an auspicious serial number. I couldn't believe my luck when I found it was worth £10!

Fortunately a guy nearby saw what I was doing and it turns out he is a professional dealer in coins and notes, and he offered me the full face value for my new note! Incredible luck - and they say lightning never strikes twice!

After he'd taken his fee, he paid me in cash with eight pound coins, which he told me were going to increase in value because they're actually getting scarcer. Who knew!? His advice was to hide them away safe, because in a very short time there would be hardly any still in circulation, and mine would be very special indeed.

I was gobsmacked at his incredible generosity. He was about to go when I recovered my senses, and realised I ought to give him something to say thank you. Remembering he was a coin collector I thought it apt to offer him a monetary thanks. The way his face lit up when I proffered one of those new plastic fivers and told him to buy himself a beer on me! I really don't think he expected it and it totally made my day.

Thanked by: blythburgh1960mackemkevinchess1
Chadwick

Postby Luke_PieStalker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 pm

So it was you that slipped me that fiver Didn't realise it was an old un, too sticky! :thumbup:

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess11960mackem
Luke_PieStalker

Next

Return to Finance & property