40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Postby Sarah » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am

blythburgh wrote:Never hold on to a coupon. Use it or give as a present to someone who will use it

It's a coupon not a gift voucher... would probably be difficult to give it away to anyone even if I stood right outside the shop! ;)

I do have some Prezzo tokens from Tesco Clubcard, so going to bring forward plans to spend those. In the past Tesco have refunded customers holding tokens for some chains that went out of business, but don't really want to rely on that happening.

Anyone with Toys R Us gift cards needs to spend them very urgently - today is the final day!

Thanked by: kevinchess1
Sarah

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 am

Only a couple of weeks since I was praising the level of personal service of iSmash (concession inside Maplin outlets). Also, its only a week since I was talking to the store manager in my local Maplin after hearing that morning that Maplin would go into administration or possibly be bought out - "Not a problem... this branch brings in between £8,000 & £9,000 a day!" he said confidently. A week later I say "Oh dear!"

See the picture now; this is what happened in my local branch overnight, presumably for an announcement Monday morning... sad!

Maplin.jpg
Is this the end of Maplins?
Maplin.jpg (185.29 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am

Sarah wrote:
blythburgh wrote:Never hold on to a coupon. Use it or give as a present to someone who will use it

It's a coupon not a gift voucher... would probably be difficult to give it away to anyone even if I stood right outside the shop! ;)

I do have some Prezzo tokens from Tesco Clubcard, so going to bring forward plans to spend those. In the past Tesco have refunded customers holding tokens for some chains that went out of business, but don't really want to rely on that happening.

Anyone with Toys R Us gift cards needs to spend them very urgently - today is the final day!

I meant vouchers not coupons I really must wake up before posting
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Sharing: *

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Now confirmed all Toys R Us stores to close with a loss of 3000 jobs:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43401674

Thanked by: blythburgh
Sarah

Postby Boro Boy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I spoke to one of the managers in the local Maplin branch, he said the branch was successful and profitable and that it was the pathetic company management that had over borrowed! and that brought them down! Any profit the shops were making has been wasted just paying off the interest and even that profit wasn't now enough to cover the growing liability any more...!

Wow I said is Jeremy Corbyn & John McDonnell on the Maplin Board of Directors...? :lol: :lol: :lol:

See the problem with the closedown sale: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... down_sale/

Boro Boy

Postby macliam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Boro Boy wrote:I spoke to one of the managers in the local Maplin branch, he said the branch was successful and profitable and that it was the pathetic company management that had over borrowed! and that brought them down! Any profit the shops were making has been wasted just paying off the interest and even that profit wasn't now enough to cover the growing liability any more...!

Wow I said is Jeremy Corbyn & John McDonnell on the Maplin Board of Directors...? :lol: :lol: :lol:

See the problem with the closedown sale: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... down_sale/

Hmmm, that's strange - I thought it was your friends in UKIP who have the funding crisis.

Maplin's problem is that they had little to offer against the opposition and had inept leadership. Or am I thinking of UKIP? :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Postby Boro Boy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Oh dear, never made the end of the trial period...: http://www.retaildesignworld.com/news/a ... oncessions

Boro Boy

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Customers are clearing the shelves and no new stock is being put out as a replacement so its only an amount of time before Maplin disappears....

...I wonder if some company is waiting in the side-lines about to pounce and purchase Maplin at the cheapest possible price...?
Boro Boy

Postby Boro Boy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:59 am

Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 am

Buisness rates and high rents are a big factor in some shops going
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property