40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Postby Constantine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm

blythburgh wrote:....

Thatcher made the Councils sell off their properties...?

I know there is a tendency to blame Thatcher for everything. But really, blaming her for the problems experienced by a carpet retailer some twenty-five years later really takes the biscuit.:)
Constantine

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm

...mmm...biscuits
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: blythburgh
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby Constantine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:11 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:...mmm...biscuits

Chocolate biscuits. Double mmm.

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
Constantine

Postby timco » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:03 pm

pabenny wrote:Mothercare is said to be on the brink as well - tbh, I'm surprised it has taken this long. The supermarkets have been trampling on their territory for years and the likes of JoJo Maman Bebe have been moving in from the upper end of the market.

There was a rumour that Sainsburys was looking at it but after the Kiddiecare fiasco at Morrisons I do hope this stays as a rumour.

timco

Postby pabenny » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 am

Constantine wrote:

I know there is a tendency to blame Thatcher for everything. But really, blaming her for the problems experienced by a carpet retailer some twenty-five years later really takes the biscuit.:)

The fortunes of retailers like Carpetright are very much affected by the housing market. Whilst not attributing blame anywhere in particular, the 1980s was the period when many of conditions for the current housing market were created

- deregulation of building societies. resulting in much greater competition (and hence more aggressive lending)
- collapse of local authority house-building - more than 100,000 in 1978 to around 3,000 last year. Over the same period, housing association construction increased from around 20,000 to 30,000.

Successive governments have failed either to rein in the house price boom, or to successfully stimulate more construction.

Sorry - thread drift, but I think it illustrates how some influences on retail success or otherwise can take effect over a long period.

pabenny

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:16 am

Constantine wrote:

I blame Mrs Thatcher for selling Council houses at huge discount but not allowing Councils to build one for every one sold. And too many of them are now buy to let where some of the tenants are now claiming housing benefit for rents far higher than the nearby houses still owned by the local Council.

And the lack of affordable housing has been exacerbated by the fact that so few social houses have been built compared to 1980 and the buy to let phenomena. This forces would be home owners into rented accommodation on short term tenancies.

If you own your own home you will buy a new carpet, if you are on a short term tenancy you will not.

But that is only one reason for the CarpetRight problems. They have opened too many stores, some of them in areas where they are not big sellers. The rents they are paying and the business rates can be too high for the current economic climate.

And people's incomes in most cases have fallen below inflation year on year. And if your income is not keeping up with inflation then even if you are in a long term tenancy or a homeowner then a new carpet is not any where near the top of your "I want and I will buy" list.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby kevinchess1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am

' Any thread that goes on for long enough will mention Thatcher'

#blythburghLaw
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby Chadwick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:25 am

Any thread that does not invoke another existing law will result in the creation of a law to suit that thread.

#kevinchess1Law

Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:31 am

I hate some of the posters here, I am now longing for a chocolate biscuit but refuse to walk to the nearby corner shop to buy any. My waistlline does not need them but I want them :lol:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby xrppzi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 am

blythburgh wrote:I hate some of the posters here, I am now longing for a chocolate biscuit but refuse to walk to the nearby corner shop to buy any. My waistlline does not need them but I want them :lol:

What's a corner shop? In rural Yorkshire, most village amenities disappeared years ago!

xrppzi

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property