40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:31 am

I live in a road that is split into three short parts. And on the other side of the road if you head west you have to cross a road to get to the one that forms one of the splits. Head further west and you get to London Road.

So corner of my side of the road was a "corner shop" that is now a bungalow with a bedroom what should be the loft. Across the road the corner house used to be a butcher before I moved here. Across the road from them was a greengcrocer and pet store. Now two houses. Head to London Road and on the corner was a chemist and next to that a wool shop, both with living accommodation above. Now there are flats and offices on the ground floors. Turn east and come to the end of my road and turn left, at the top of the road I can remember a corner shop which had one time had been a sub post office as well. Now that is a house as well.

So feel lucky to have a corner shop which the current owner has enlarged by using some of the storage area. And we make sure we use it. If we find something in Tesco cheaper that we were going to buy at the corner shop we leave it on the shelf and spend a few more pennies to get it locally.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm

blythburgh wrote:I live in a road that is split into three short parts. And on the other side of the road if you head west you have to cross a road to get to the one that forms one of the splits. Head further west and you get to London Road.

So corner of my side of the road was a "corner shop" that is now a bungalow with a bedroom what should be the loft. Across the road the corner house used to be a butcher before I moved here. Across the road from them was a greengcrocer and pet store. Now two houses. Head to London Road and on the corner was a chemist and next to that a wool shop, both with living accommodation above. Now there are flats and offices on the ground floors. Turn east and come to the end of my road and turn left, at the top of the road I can remember a corner shop which had one time had been a sub post office as well. Now that is a house as well.

So feel lucky to have a corner shop which the current owner has enlarged by using some of the storage area. And we make sure we use it. If we find something in Tesco cheaper that we were going to buy at the corner shop we leave it on the shelf and spend a few more pennies to get it locally.

Can I have a £fiver£ please! If you are giving away money I want to be first in the queue...

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

On a limited income so have to shop carefully but worth saying no to a special offer to keep the corner shop (it is on a corner) and most of the time I pay the same in Tesco as there.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I visited Margate the other weekend - a retail desert in most areas of the high street apart from the "arty bit" in the olde town area which may survive this summer footfall but unlikely to survive the coming winter. This may be an image of the future for a lot of high streets...

More on the edge than I thought: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/th ... spartanntp
Boro Boy

Postby pabenny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 am

blythburgh wrote:On a limited income so have to shop carefully but worth saying no to a special offer to keep the corner shop (it is on a corner) and most of the time I pay the same in Tesco as there.

But are you just paying to keep the corner shop open so that it's there for you to buy things at a higher price so that it stays open?

Thanked by: RonFlorabud
pabenny

Postby planteria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 am

blythburgh wrote:So feel lucky to have a corner shop which the current owner has enlarged by using some of the storage area. And we make sure we use it. If we find something in Tesco cheaper that we were going to buy at the corner shop we leave it on the shelf and spend a few more pennies to get it locally.

and is it an independent that is part of a symbol group?

Thanked by: blythburgh
planteria

Postby blythburgh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 am

pabenny wrote:
blythburgh wrote:On a limited income so have to shop carefully but worth saying no to a special offer to keep the corner shop (it is on a corner) and most of the time I pay the same in Tesco as there.

But are you just paying to keep the corner shop open so that it's there for you to buy things at a higher price so that it stays open?

It is rare that Tesco has an offer on something I buy at the corner shop and most of the time the prices are the same. And if it was not there I would have to get into the car to get what I wanted that day, like the papers and yogurts I bought yesterday.

And the corner shop is a member of the Premier store thingy so at times I can buy things there cheaper than at Tesco. But most of the time my buys are things that are not on offer.

So if I miss out on a special offer on Fairy washing up liquid for example does it matter as I save money week in and week out by walking up there rather than using the car to get to the next nearest shop. It is not that often that Tesco is selling what I want cheaper than the corner shop.
blythburgh

Postby planteria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am

planteria wrote:what are investors to do during this period of Retail challenges?
simply avoid investing in retailers for the time being?
short retail somehow? a friend of mine in Canada is looking at shorting a retail property fund that he reckons is very exposed.
buy Amazon, or Alibaba or Ebay or Rakuten on the basis that they are where the cash is flowing instead?
:think:

anyone any inspiration? i have just added to AMZN over time. :think:.
planteria

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 am

planteria wrote:
planteria wrote:what are investors to do during this period of Retail challenges?
simply avoid investing in retailers for the time being?
short retail somehow? a friend of mine in Canada is looking at shorting a retail property fund that he reckons is very exposed.
buy Amazon, or Alibaba or Ebay or Rakuten on the basis that they are where the cash is flowing instead?
:think:

anyone any inspiration? i have just added to AMZN over time. :think:.

..your probably buying at a premium; much better prospects elsewhere... depends how "safe" you want to be and for how long...
Boro Boy

Postby planteria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 pm

well, most of what i have bought is worth significantly more than i paid.. Amazon are below their high, and I have a target number of shares in mind. i'm 90% there.

and importantly, what else do you suggest? any 'value' to be had which benefits from underlying trends in anything like the same way?

Thanked by: Boro BoyRonFlorabud
planteria

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property