Loss of the old Google Finance

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Loss of the old Google Finance

Postby timco » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 am

Is doing my head in they take something that works and change it for something really pointless just so it fits on a mobile screen.

Thanked by: blythburgh
timco

Re: Loss of the old Google Finance

Postby macliam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 am

timco wrote:Is doing my head in they take something that works and change it for something really pointless just so it fits on a mobile screen.

Hence my reluctance to agree the need for a "mobile-friendly" revamp here......... :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: RonFlorabudblythburgh
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby planteria » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am

i don't really use a 'finance' page, but Yahoo Finance seems to be the one that my contacts glance at.

planteria

Postby timco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:22 am

planteria wrote:i don't really use a 'finance' page, but Yahoo Finance seems to be the one that my contacts glance at.

I am now forced to use Yahoo finance but it is nowhere near as good as Google finance was for my needs (delayed prices to start with unless you pay Google was live and free) just a shame they have to force people to use the newer version if they don't want to.

Change for change sake is rarely a good thing.

timco

Postby macliam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:37 pm

timco wrote:
planteria wrote:i don't really use a 'finance' page, but Yahoo Finance seems to be the one that my contacts glance at.

I am now forced to use Yahoo finance but it is nowhere near as good as Google finance was for my needs (delayed prices to start with unless you pay Google was live and free) just a shame they have to force people to use the newer version if they don't want to.

Change for change sake is rarely a good thing.

Hence my reluctance to agree the need for a "mobile-friendly" revamp here......... :roll: (#2)
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby Boro Boy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm

macliam wrote:
timco wrote:Is doing my head in they take something that works and change it for something really pointless just so it fits on a mobile screen.

Hence my reluctance to agree the need for a "mobile-friendly" revamp here......... :roll:

As I have built small websites (nothing on the scale of iMutual) I would like to comment here with some experience. The word is mobile "compatable" which basically means that the main website does not change but if it is accessed by a mobile or tablet (in a user friendly manner) you are given the option to access a "mobile version" and in simplistic terms there is your answer, its a parallel edition...!

I don't know why you are resistant to positive change and I can only guess that is because of a lack of information. Anything that makes the site more easy to use and encourages more members should be welcome I would have thought?

As for Google closing a website or even even building a web site originally, why would they ever make it none mobile friendly? I cannot imagine the excuss is they closed it to have another website which makes them more money... I don't have an answer about Google but closing it because it was not mobile friendly does not sound right. :wtf:
Boro Boy

Postby timco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
As for Google closing a website or even even building a web site originally, why would they ever make it none mobile friendly? I cannot imagine the excuss is they closed it to have another website which makes them more money... I don't have an answer about Google but closing it because it was not mobile friendly does not sound right. :wtf:

The actual change is to integrate it with their search facility father than as a stand alone site as is their corporate policy it also supposed to make it cleaner on a mobile with a lot of white space on a PC but in order to do this you lose a lot of the useful information.

The original website was designed long before we had the mobile technologies that they are supposedly meant to work for with the cut down versions. Personally on me they are lost as I always select the desktop version (except when doing dailies on a mobile) so I get what I want from it not what the likes of Google have decided I should have with their insistence on "mobile friendly" versions. (BTW we will get lower Google rankings without a "mobile friendly" version.) If I want something mobile friendly I will download their app (now that is something we need) I don't need cut down versions of the site my mobile is big enough to cope with it and if they want to make sites easier to download they need to cut out all the crap internet design companies sell them and get back to basics.

BTW I too design/build/manage and advise on websites.

Thanked by: Boro Boy
timco

Postby Boro Boy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 pm

timco wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:

The actual change is to integrate it with their search facility father than as a stand alone site as is their corporate policy it also supposed to make it cleaner on a mobile with a lot of white space on a PC but in order to do this you lose a lot of the useful information.

The original website was designed long before we had the mobile technologies that they are supposedly meant to work for with the cut down versions. Personally on me they are lost as I always select the desktop version (except when doing dailies on a mobile) so I get what I want from it not what the likes of Google have decided I should have with their insistence on "mobile friendly" versions. (BTW we will get lower Google rankings without a "mobile friendly" version.) If I want something mobile friendly I will download their app (now that is something we need) I don't need cut down versions of the site my mobile is big enough to cope with it and if they want to make sites easier to download they need to cut out all the crap internet design companies sell them and get back to basics.

BTW I too design/build/manage and advise on websites.

Thank you for that insight, I think the important comment is: ...we will get lower Google rankings without a "mobile friendly" version. This is another issue to consider, as well as multi appliance usability if we are ever to be a growing website...
Boro Boy

Return to Finance & property