MONEY SAVING IDEA: The Repair Café

Money, investing, mutuals etc

MONEY SAVING IDEA: The Repair Café

Postby Boro Boy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 pm

This is a great one for members if there is one in your local area....

In the modern throwaway culture many people discard old and buy new - when a simple repair is all that is required. This common-sense idea gave birth to The Repair Café it's a place where people get ordinary household goods fixed for free and this all goes to reducing your carbon footprint at the same time...

The whole concept was devised in Amsterdam 10 years ago. There are now over 1400+ registered repair cafes worldwide - with 22 in the UK. Visit www.repaircafe.org/en for details.

I hope that is helpful... :thumbup:

Thanked by: Phil85pakefielddustieChadwickMP3746blythburghRonFlorabudmacliamkevinchess1
Boro Boy

Re: MONEY SAVING IDEA: The Repair Café

Postby macliam » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Boro Boy wrote:This is a great one for members if there is one in your local area....

In the modern throwaway culture many people discard old and buy new - when a simple repair is all that is required. This common-sense idea gave birth to The Repair Café it's a place where people get ordinary household goods fixed for free and this all goes to reducing your carbon footprint at the same time...

The whole concept was devised in Amsterdam 10 years ago. There are now over 1400+ registered repair cafes worldwide - with 22 in the UK. Visit http://www.repaircafe.org/en for details.

I hope that is helpful... :thumbup:

It's a very good idea - if there is one local to you ....... but that's the lottery. It would be nice to see the network grow.

Even if an item can't be repaired directly, they can advise whether a repair is possible/practical/will cost in - and that information alone is invaluable.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: pakefielddustieblythburghRonFlorabudkevinchess1
macliam

Postby RonFlorabud » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 am

Nice idea and good for the community. Interesting post :thumbup:

Thanked by: pakefieldblythburgh
RonFlorabud

Sharing: *

Postby blythburgh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:00 am

Heard on the radio a few months back. A man who has a shop selling and repairing white goods said that the new washing machines are made in such a way they cannot be repaired.

Our hairdresser told me a few months back she bought a new cooker, cannot remember the name but it was one of the more upmarket and more expensive ones. According to her it looked far less quality and more "thin and tinny" than the cheaper one but rather elderly one it had replaced.

They do not want us to repair but throw and replace quickly sigh
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: RonFlorabud
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm

blythburgh wrote:Heard on the radio a few months back. A man who has a shop selling and repairing white goods said that the new washing machines are made in such a way they cannot be repaired.

Our hairdresser told me a few months back she bought a new cooker, cannot remember the name but it was one of the more upmarket and more expensive ones. According to her it looked far less quality and more "thin and tinny" than the cheaper one but rather elderly one it had replaced.

Whilst modern machinery/appliances don't seem as sturdy as those of the past I doubt there are few things that cannot be repaired, the problem is the cost of repair verses the cost of a new model...! Mind you if the cost of repair is free... :think:

Thanked by: pakefield
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:Heard on the radio a few months back. A man who has a shop selling and repairing white goods said that the new washing machines are made in such a way they cannot be repaired.

Whilst modern machinery/appliances don't seem as sturdy as those of the past I doubt there are few things that cannot be repaired, the problem is the cost of repair verses the cost of a new model...! Mind you if the cost of repair is free... :think:

I cannot remember the details of the washing machine repair man's comment but definitely said the new ones were often made so they cannot be repaired by him. Something to do with the way they put the drum is what is in my head but it is so hazy, But I know he said he cannot repair many of them now
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:

I cannot remember the details of the washing machine repair man's comment but definitely said the new ones were often made so they cannot be repaired by him. Something to do with the way they put the drum is what is in my head but it is so hazy, But I know he said he cannot repair many of them now

Just had my car broken into - wish there was a Repair Café for Car Repairs as I'm now expecting a large repair bill to avoid loosing my no claims (not protected yet). Really strange things went walkies, a pair or plastic angels from the boot, which were to be allocated to family graves over the bank hols.... guess they must have flown!?! :eh:

Thanked by: blythburghpakefield
Boro Boy

Postby William Joseph1 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 pm

When I was a churchwarden all those years ago. (Yes blythburgh I did believe once, in the long distant past) We used to take the plastic angels off the graves and throw them away. Cheap looking rubbish. Very rarely did people ask for permission to put adornments on the grave as they are supposed to do.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: pakefield
William Joseph1

Postby macliam » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:When I was a churchwarden all those years ago. (Yes blythburgh I did believe once, in the long distant past) We used to take the plastic angels off the graves and throw them away. Cheap looking rubbish. Very rarely did people ask for permission to put adornments on the grave as they are supposed to do.

IMHO, If there is anything sadder than dead flowers on a grave, it is faded plastic flowers on a grave.

The former shows that someone cared once, but has not been able to get back. The latter shows that they never intended to....... :roll:

Having said which, I'm not sure about the plastic donkey with panniers full of weeds I saw a few weeks back. Not even the half-dozen faded windmills managed to cheer that one up! :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghpakefield
macliam

Postby pakefield » Mon May 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Bottom of the road there is a car park and then a green space. Go to end of car park and there is seat in memory of someone for the public to sit on. But someone has added a bouquet of flowers and a cross made out of flowers. They are expecting them to stay there for eternity I guess as all the flowers are plastic. And of course means one less person can sit on the seat. Round the corner there are a row of memorial seats so you can sit and overlook the sea. One has the sort of little plaques you would find on a grave beside it.

But although I find the idea of plastic angels tacky whey were placed on the grave with love and I find the idea of chucking them away like that sad. Maybe the rules should be in a prominent place but I am guessing people would still not read them.
pakefield

Next

Return to Finance & property