40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Postby Dream on » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:SD are going to take the business on the best terms they can, and build/use it to their advantage from that point. on the face of it, if they keep the stores open and keep those thousands in employment then it is much better news than their was coming out of HoF: no one can expect Mike Ashley to decide to pay suppliers money that he doesn't need to pay.

But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:
You are out of date. Those plans were announced before the company went into liquidation and were put on hold when Sports Direct bought it. They have yet to set out their plans but Mike Ashley has gone on record to say he will do his best to keep all stores open. Whether you believe or trust him is another matter.

Thanked by: blythburghBoro Boy
Dream on

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:SD are going to take the business on the best terms they can, and build/use it to their advantage from that point. on the face of it, if they keep the stores open and keep those thousands in employment then it is much better news than their was coming out of HoF: no one can expect Mike Ashley to decide to pay suppliers money that he doesn't need to pay.

But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:
You are out of date. Those plans were announced before the company went into liquidation and were put on hold when Sports Direct bought it. They have yet to set out their plans but Mike Ashley has gone on record to say he will do his best to keep all stores open. Whether you believe or trust him is another matter.

Cheers and noted; I'm sure a lot of workers in the North East may be pleased to know that!!! :think:

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Postby Dream on » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Dream on wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:But plans have already been announced in the North East to close the HoF Binns group of stores... and talk is the Oxford Street London Flagship Store will be sold off separately... :think:

Cheers and noted; I'm sure a lot of workers in the North East may be pleased to know that!!! :think:
Time will tell as to whether their pleasure is short or long term. At the moment their joy is on hold I suspect.

Dream on

Postby planteria » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 pm

yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
planteria

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:48 pm

planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.

...Oh I see; a choice between purgatory or hell...!?! :crazy:

Boro Boy

Postby Chadwick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

Boro Boy wrote:
planteria wrote:yes.. but however SD handle things, it's going to be better in terms of employee retention than it was going to be without their takeover.

#Pakefield's Law

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 am

Boro Boy wrote:

The brother in law of 'im indoors worked at Eastern Coachworks (bus makers) for 28 years. For a number of years the workers were unsure how long the plant would continue. I can assure you that uncertainty was very stressful on the employees and their families.

Hopefully more of the HOF shops will be retained than under the old owners plans. But suppliers will cut jobs or even go bankrupt and so it is just moving the misery to others.

Still cannot help but feel it was a case of "I want to buy HOF but refuse to do so until it goes into administration and I can get it on the cheap".

The unacceptable face of capitalism IMHO. But at least the previous owners of HOF have made sure the pension scheme was handled in a far better way than it was at BHS and other places.

I wonder how many companies whose pension schemes are in the red were amongst those who stopped making contributions when things were going well for the country.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby planteria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Boro Boy wrote:

it's not me who created the rules of Capitalism :mrgreen:. the news was bad. now it is, on the face of it at least, less bad. that's good: in terms of our collective care for people to remain in paid employment.

meanwhile, Amazon now above $1900/s.

planteria

Postby Constantine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm

planteria wrote:...

it's not me who created the rules of Capitalism :mrgreen:. the news was bad. now it is, on the face of it at least, less bad. that's good: in terms of our collective care for people to remain in paid employment.

meanwhile, Amazon now above $1900/s.

Capitalism ain't so bad. It's lifted billions out of poverty. Meanwhile in Venezuela, there's no food or medicine, and the population is fleeing across the border to Columbia. :)

Anyway, isn't the UK employment rate at an all time high?

Constantine

Postby planteria » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am

it is. and fleeing to Colombia :wtf:.
planteria

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property