40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Postby Boro Boy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am

blythburgh wrote:I could add some more national chains that are no more but to do so would mean you would all realise I am not 21 as I claim :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on here we are all 21 tall, slim, exceptionally good looking etc ;)

...all of that but I can admit to being a little older than 21...!!! :lol:

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 pm

For once we are looking at some news where a major EU Company moves its HQ to the UK...!

See: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... ndon-video
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:I could add some more national chains that are no more but to do so would mean you would all realise I am not 21 as I claim :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on here we are all 21 tall, slim, exceptionally good looking etc ;)

...all of that but I can admit to being a little older than 21...!!! :lol:

nah we are all 21 here :lol:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby blythburgh » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am

Boro Boy wrote:For once we are looking at some news where a major EU Company moves its HQ to the UK...!

See: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... ndon-video

the exception to the current way of things sadly
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:43 am

The UK high street looks to be undergoing further changes: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/bo ... spartanntp

Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 am

Patisserie Valerie is in dire straits which would not be bad news if they got back together as both of us enjoy their music.

But back to Pat Val everytime I am in Norwich I stop choose, with great difficulty, which cake I would like. Then having drooled for long enough I walk on. It is fun drooling over the cakes even if I cannot afford the calories they contain. WIll they still be there when we next get to Norwich?

The Finance Director has been arrested (but not charged with anything) but why didn't the auditors spot something? And what about those who worked with the FD, couldn't they spot something?

My heart goes out to everyone who works for Pat Val in any way as the Sword of Damocles is hanging over them and that is horrible. When you lose your job you can start to move forward but these poor people are stuck in no mans land. I remember how stressful the Eastern Coachworks possible (and eventual closure after several years of incertainity) was. Because the husband of 'im indoors was working there we could see how worred they were. But he got 28 years above the minimum reduncancy, got low paid work very quickly and then a job at Lotus Cars. But not everyone who has lost a well paid skilled job in the town has been that lucky.
blythburgh

Postby William Joseph1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am

blythburgh wrote: the husband of 'im indoors
Thats a confusing relationship.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: Chadwickplanteriablythburgh
William Joseph1

Postby Pandora » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am

blythburgh wrote:Patisserie Valerie is in dire straits which would not be bad news if they got back together as both of us enjoy their music......

I thought they sold cakes?

blythburgh wrote:The Finance Director has been arrested (but not charged with anything) but why didn't the auditors spot something? ..

For one thing, auditors only turn up once a year. You can nick a lot of money in a month. For another thing, auditors are largely clueless twonks.

Pandora

Postby pabenny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 am

Pandora wrote:... auditors are largely clueless twonks...

I'm not going to argue against that penetrating analysis. More widely, though

blythburgh wrote:why didn't the auditors spot something?

What is often overlooked when a business fails is that primary responsibility rests with the directors and senior management. They were running the business, they prepared the accounts, they made the decisions.

The auditors' duty is to report whether the financial statements show a 'true and fair view' - that is on matters of fact they are accurate and on matters of judgement, the judgements made are reasonable. (That those judgements may turn out to be wrong does not mean they weren't reasonable at the time)

It was established in the courts long ago, that the duty of the auditor is to act as watchdog not a bloodhound - or less colourfully it is to verify the information provided and not to detect fraud unless given cause to suspect it.

That duty is owed almost entirely to the shareholders. The auditor has no legal obligation to the employees (or anyone else, for that matter) even though those people may be casualties of company failure.

pabenny

Postby blythburgh » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
blythburgh wrote: the husband of 'im indoors
Thats a confusing relationship.

Never write on a froum when you are half asleep and if you must, read it before you post. Lesson known but not learned :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
blythburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property