40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Postby planteria » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 am

final part of the article is pertinent..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44882971
Sports Direct is an interesting retail play. they are doing relatively well online, and are certainly prepared to invest boldly. on the face of it their investments in Debenhams and HoF are playing out badly, but perhaps with some refocus on better performing stores and improved online trading they will start to contribute. the alternative, as SD's Rowley says, is that Amazon eat their lunch.

Thanked by: blythburgh
planteria

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm

On the day that the Groucho Group of restaurants goes into administration it is good to see that the Government I looking into what can be done to revitalise the failing high street: http://www.kbbreview.com/news/governmen ... hallenges/

Boro Boy

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Boro Boy

Postby Boro Boy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Could the following be an early announcement of the next round of high street store closures...? : www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/artic ... -plan.html

Boro Boy

Postby expressman33 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 am

Boro Boy wrote:Could the following be an early announcement of the next round of high street store closures...? : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/market ... -plan.html

I can't understand why there is a pension shortfall when the FTSE and bonds have done so well over the last 10 years.
Unless someone has been dipping into the pension fund , but surely no government would allow that to happen :shh: :shh:

expressman33

Postby blythburgh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am

expressman33 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Could the following be an early announcement of the next round of high street store closures...? : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/market ... -plan.html

I can't understand why there is a pension shortfall when the FTSE and bonds have done so well over the last 10 years.
Unless someone has been dipping into the pension fund , but surely no government would allow that to happen :shh: :shh:

About as likely as a Republican President of the USA giving subsidies to farmers ;)
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby planteria » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:23 am

under funding. even if the returns are good, the funding needs to be sufficient.
planteria

Postby Constantine » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 pm

blythburgh wrote:
expressman33 wrote:

About as likely as a Republican President of the USA giving subsidies to farmers ;)

If you read the article you'll see that M&S has a pension surplus as does Next, So whilst the headline refers to a £1.5billion High Street pension time bomb, those two firms have a £1 billion surplus.
Constantine

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Constantine wrote:
If you read the article you'll see that M&S has a pension surplus as does Next, So whilst the headline refers to a £1.5billion High Street pension time bomb, those two firms have a £1 billion surplus.

Myself I think the indication is that no matter what the state (small surplus or deficit) of the pension, as these companies cut back on their shops and staff then the gathered contributions reduce but their liabilities will continue to grow - result is a millstone what could sink them. :think:
Boro Boy

Postby expressman33 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:55 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Constantine wrote:

Myself I think the indication is that no matter what the state (small surplus or deficit) of the pension, as these companies cut back on their shops and staff then the gathered contributions reduce but their liabilities will continue to grow - result is a millstone what could sink them. :think:

As the number of staff that pay into the scheme reduces then the liabilities will grow less quickly , as long as the investments grow as expected then there should be no problems
expressman33

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property