Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: Is the Euro experiment about to collapse...?

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 am

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:My Aussie (half brother) called us Poms. I retorted that really it should be the Aussies who should be called Poms as it stands for "Prisoners of his/her Majesty". He laughed but never called us Poms again

Urban myth, I'm afraid.

Most likely root of the term "pommy" or "pom" is that it is linked to "pomegranate", as rhyming slang for "immigrant". Possibly also a link to our use of the fruit to prevent scurvy on the long journey. In many ways it is similar to the Americans calling us "limeys".

There's no evidence to support the "prisoners" root, or sometimes "Product of Mother England". The term is believed to have originated in the late 19th century, much later than the convict shipments.

I do not care about the real meaning if my brother or any other Aussie calls me a POM they will get the same answer from me, best put down I can think of.

Like when 'im indoors was in a chat room many years ago and a Yank made a remark about him being British. Without a second's thought he replied "we made you and you are a poor imitation of the original." The American man left the chat room without comment and the friends on there went back to chatting without further interference from strangers.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Chadwick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 am

blythburgh wrote:I do not care about the real meaning if my brother or any other Aussie calls me a POM they will get the same answer from me, best put down I can think of.

If your best put down is the Prisoners line, then the Aussie will just say, "No it doesn't". It's hardly a put down.

But in any case, the word "pom" is not really an insult. It's a sort of humorous term, indicating that you're not really being insulted. In the 60s it gained it bit more traction, when there was an influx of British migration to Australia. But since then, it's not a particularly strong word. The Aussies are perfectly capable of insulting you without any confusion, you flamin' galah!

Thanked by: blythburgh
Chadwick

Postby macliam » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:I do not care about the real meaning if my brother or any other Aussie calls me a POM they will get the same answer from me, best put down I can think of.

If your best put down is the Prisoners line, then the Aussie will just say, "No it doesn't". It's hardly a put down.

But in any case, the word "pom" is not really an insult. It's a sort of humorous term, indicating that you're not really being insulted. In the 60s it gained it bit more traction, when there was an influx of British migration to Australia. But since then, it's not a particularly strong word. The Aussies are perfectly capable of insulting you without any confusion, you flamin' galah!

Strewth, mate, Don't come the raw prawn - no ocker would give a dingos - unless they're a banana-bender or a sandgroper from the never-never!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm

I know Australia managed to somehow get into Eurovision but thankfully it is not part of the failing Euro experiment...
Boro Boy

Postby Chadwick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Boro Boy wrote:failing Euro experiment...

What is this experiment?
What is it trying to dis/prove?
When will the results be known?
Chadwick

Postby macliam » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Chadwick wrote:

What is this experiment?

Where are the terms of reference?
What is the sample size?
Where is the empirical proof it is failing?
What level of standard deviation is applicable?
macliam

Postby Chadwick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:40 pm

macliam wrote:
Chadwick wrote:

What is this experiment?

Where are the terms of reference?
What is the sample size?
Where is the empirical proof it is failing?
What level of standard deviation is applicable?

Lol, I think my first question is going to be hard enough!
Chadwick

Postby macliam » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:My Aussie (half brother) called us Poms. I retorted that really it should be the Aussies who should be called Poms as it stands for "Prisoners of his/her Majesty". He laughed but never called us Poms again

Urban myth, I'm afraid.

Most likely root of the term "pommy" or "pom" is that it is linked to "pomegranate", as rhyming slang for "immigrant". Possibly also a link to our use of the fruit to prevent scurvy on the long journey. In many ways it is similar to the Americans calling us "limeys".

There's no evidence to support the "prisoners" root, or sometimes "Product of Mother England". The term is believed to have originated in the late 19th century, much later than the convict shipments.

I thought I'd replied to this, but it was obviously a figbox of my imaginarium.

The roots of "Pommie" is "Pom" and is part of the universal root vegetable nomenclature for foreign migratory species. Irish were called "Spuds", English were called "Poms", nobody even spoke about the Scots (and still don't). Spuds we so-called after the 37 Murphy brothers were exiled to New South Wales (they tried the other South Wales but couldn't hack the accent). The term "Pom" was applied to anyone they disliked, spat on or otherwise disapproved of. These were invariably English - hence the term being applied to all like nationals.

An alternative theory is that it derives from the expression "Ap-O-am" in the indigenous "Wadyawanadudatfer" tribal language. This word has no direct translation into any meaningful language, but roughly means "Sweating red-faced arsehole who should piss off back across the ocean pretty damn quick". This theory has been discounted by the British Library and now costs far less than it used to...

You're welcome.

Thanked by: Chadwick
macliam

Previous

Return to Finance & property