Leave or Stay the EU

You may select 1 option

View results

jaytee

Re: EU Ref

Post by jaytee » Sat Jun 25 2016 7:18pm

It may start all over again, with a second referendum:

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

Sign the petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... atures/new

At this point in time more than 2.1 million people have signed - far in excess of the 100,000 signatures need to trigger a Parliamentary Debate.
Thanked by: pakefield

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Jun 25 2016 7:21pm

jaytee wrote:It may start all over again, with a second referendum:

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

Sign the petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... atures/new

At this point in time more than 2.1 million people have signed - far in excess of the 100,000 signatures need to trigger a Parliamentary Debate.

No chance, at all, ever
All this does is get a debate
Won't get voted/passed
Not happening
Thanked by: pakefield
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Jun 25 2016 7:51pm

Yeah that's just noise, best ignored - it's pointless. Those 2 million people would do better writing to their MPs asking them to form a pro-EU coalition and call for a vote to dissolve parliament triggering a general election... but they probably can't be bothered, because that would take a bit of thought and more than a few mouse clicks.
Last edited by Sarah on Sat Jun 25 2016 9:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, pakefield

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Jun 25 2016 8:33pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Sarah wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:Yes but how would thAT HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE TO THE eu VOTE/
The EU referendum was one in which every vote counted.

The governing Tory party are now being forced to take a sidestep to the right & it would surely be even worse with 82 UKIP MPs in the house.
I no Im not that bright but I still don't see how having 80ish+ Ukipers MP would have made a difference to the EU vote
Maybe because you're asking about something I didn't say; obviously there can't be an answer to that. I said that I'm glad we don't have PR; since it did a good job of keeping the far right out of power at the general election, whereas the referendum (in which every vote did count) has failed us all by delivering a terrible result. The idea of living in a terminally declining UK, divided and dominated by right-wing politics just doesn't appeal; it makes me feel very sad. I can't believe there won't be mass regret from leave voters when reality bites.
Thanked by: pakefield, Richard Frost

dorisifa

Post by dorisifa » Sat Jun 25 2016 9:29pm

I'm really sad about the outcome. It will be years and years for this to unfold and the ramifications to become clear. I don't think there'll be much regret or self reproach from leave voters. Leaving won't ease the problems that motivated so many people to vote leave. Probably make them worse. But the timescales are such that most wont consider the damage done a consequence of their choice. There hasn't been a lot of foresight - the Labour heartland has just ushered in what will be the most right wing Tory front bench in living memory. There won't be much hindsight either.
Thanked by: Sarah, Richard Frost
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Jun 25 2016 10:49pm

Sarah wrote:The Brexit-Backers Who Regret Not Voting Remain After EU Referendum Results
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... _hp_ref=uk
I've got no sympathy for them what so ever
Having the right to vote is an honour, a privilege and a freedom many MANY people don't/won't have
If you treat it as a flippant exercise to protest against this/that then don't come crying to me when you get what you vote for
People died for you r right to vote
Take it seriously
It the V least you can/should do
Politically incorrect since 69

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Jun 25 2016 11:17pm

it was made very clear in the campaign that there would not be a second referendum. There is no going back. Can you imagine the anxiety and uncertainty it would cause. There is no way I want to listen to more of the buffoon Boris or the wicked Nigel. The deed is done, live with it and lets move on. If there was a second referendum can you imagine the outcry.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jun 26 2016 12:54am

I agree. On the other hand it would be a chance to save the country, so there is that small matter. Boris neither wanted nor expected to win - he wasn't celebrating on Friday morning, he looked terrified. This wasn't the plan. It was all just a bit of fun to further his career by opposing David Cameron but now it's backfired and he has to lead us into the abyss.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jun 26 2016 1:54am

Lib Dems to pledge British return to EU in next general election
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election

Well, it might win a few votes, if anyone actually believes it...!

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jun 26 2016 7:36am

Sarah wrote:Lib Dems to pledge British return to EU in next general election
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election

Well, it might win a few votes, if anyone actually believes it...!
If the election is in 2020 and by the remotest chance they get elected. We will be out already. We would need then to reapply and wait a period of years before we get in again. If the election was this or next year, well, who knows, it could work but I suspect it is more of a gimmick than reality.