EU Ref

Media articles about money-saving topics

Leave or Stay the EU

You may select 1 option

View results

Sarah

Re: EU Ref

Post by Sarah » Mon Jun 27 2016 8:02am

The turnout from the 18-24 years olds was quite pitiful though.

There are many reasons leave did so well. They ran a slick and well organised campaign, based on lies they knew would appeal to certain demographics. The remain campaign was a major failure by comparison, it had to restrain itself by expecting to win so didn't have such an enticing fantasy future to sell, nor catchy slogans or flag waving and looked too much like "the establishment" protecting itself, giving rise to more protest votes than necessary; and of course Jeremy Corbyn failed to support his party, going on holiday and making only terrible speeches reading from a script. There were still voters by polling day that thought Labour were on the leave side.
Last edited by Sarah on Mon Jun 27 2016 8:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jun 27 2016 8:08am

kevinchess1 wrote:There will be a 1,001+ things to discuss
Nobody knows what will happen
Which is probably why Brexit didn't put a number on it
They couldn't
On another point Does anyone know when the 'Emergency Budget' is set for?
The one Georgio says we will have to have
Annoucement this morning from Mr Osborne. The budget will be in the autumn when new PM in place. My best guess is it will be combined with the autumn statement delivered by a new Chancellor.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Jun 27 2016 8:32am

thinlizard

Post by thinlizard » Mon Jun 27 2016 9:39am

So if when voting it is completely anonymous, how come they can tell what percentage of people voted in a particular way??

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 27 2016 10:00am

thinlizard wrote:So if when voting it is completely anonymous, how come they can tell what percentage of people voted in a particular way??
Opinion polls, there was not an exit poll but there have been polls about how we voted.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jun 27 2016 10:09am

blythburgh wrote:
thinlizard wrote:So if when voting it is completely anonymous, how come they can tell what percentage of people voted in a particular way??
Opinion polls, there was not an exit poll but there have been polls about how we voted.
When doing opinion polls they take a representative sample and extrapolate it into national figures.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Jun 27 2016 10:26am

The stats I linked are based on a detailed survey of 12,369 voters.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 29 2016 12:29am

Thanked by: macliam

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jun 29 2016 9:58am

I think there are 3 groups of Leave voters.

1) Far right. BNP, UKIP, Britain First etc. Were always going to vote out on principle even if it hurts themselves. Will blame someone else for any negative effects they suffer.

2) Normal sensible people, who feel that the EU controls too much of our daily lives. Could have quite easily voted Remain, but made a considered decision to vote leave based on rational fact-based arguments that stand up. Were not swayed by false claims and headline-grabbing lines, but read analysis from decent sources that agreed with their gut feeling that the EU is restricting us. Believe we will weather any negative effects to economy (eg. bust and boom happens naturally all the time) and come out as a stronger force in the world. Not racists, indeed probably have many connections with other cultures.

3) Stupid people. Believed we would get a new hospital every week, or that the reason we have potholes is because the money is spent on a Greek bridge instead. Protest vote against the "pig-f****r". Believe foreign immigrants take their benefits. and jobs, jump housing queues and only come here to clog up the A&E department. Cannot distinguish between immigrants from within and outside EU. Believe leaving EU will stop illegal immigrants, by making them illegal.

Some of my friends voted leave and they are in the second group. Despite the overwhelming independent assessments that leaving would be generally bad for the EU, they found sufficient evidence (true, genuine, real facts) that the EU is also bloated, slow-moving and creates restrictive legislation, especially in the areas of health and safety, workers rights, environmental protection etc. They are correct on that point, although I would point out that you can level exactly the same criticisms at the UK government. However, at least their vote was based on some reality.

I'm choosing to assume that most of the regular posters here that voted leave are also in that second camp, as I have seen very little evidence of the other two groups. I apologise if I have misrepresented your specific reasons for voting leave - it's more the general point that you based your vote on factual evidence and a considered opinion, not just some bullshit on the side of a bus.
Thanked by: macliam, Sarah

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 29 2016 10:51am

Chadwick wrote:I think there are 3 groups of Leave voters.

1) Far right. BNP, UKIP, Britain First etc. Were always going to vote out on principle even if it hurts themselves. Will blame someone else for any negative effects they suffer.

2) Normal sensible people, who feel that the EU controls too much of our daily lives. Could have quite easily voted Remain, but made a considered decision to vote leave based on rational fact-based arguments that stand up. Were not swayed by false claims and headline-grabbing lines, but read analysis from decent sources that agreed with their gut feeling that the EU is restricting us. Believe we will weather any negative effects to economy (eg. bust and boom happens naturally all the time) and come out as a stronger force in the world. Not racists, indeed probably have many connections with other cultures.

3) Stupid people. Believed we would get a new hospital every week, or that the reason we have potholes is because the money is spent on a Greek bridge instead. Protest vote against the "pig-f****r". Believe foreign immigrants take their benefits. and jobs, jump housing queues and only come here to clog up the A&E department. Cannot distinguish between immigrants from within and outside EU. Believe leaving EU will stop illegal immigrants, by making them illegal.

Some of my friends voted leave and they are in the second group. Despite the overwhelming independent assessments that leaving would be generally bad for the EU, they found sufficient evidence (true, genuine, real facts) that the EU is also bloated, slow-moving and creates restrictive legislation, especially in the areas of health and safety, workers rights, environmental protection etc. They are correct on that point, although I would point out that you can level exactly the same criticisms at the UK government. However, at least their vote was based on some reality.

I'm choosing to assume that most of the regular posters here that voted leave are also in that second camp, as I have seen very little evidence of the other two groups. I apologise if I have misrepresented your specific reasons for voting leave - it's more the general point that you based your vote on factual evidence and a considered opinion, not just some bullshit on the side of a bus.
The very breakdown you have given is the reason I always thought it a distinct possibility that any binary vote would come down in favour of leave - and why that feeling increased as it became clear that the intention to vote by 50-plus voters was likely to outweight those under 50 who carried less baggage and would have to live with the consequences.

Voting to leave was seen as active,unlike voting to remain. Anyone who went to University will know that the reason that student politics appear to be more radical is because it's the radicals who push themselves forward, as opposed to the majority who can't be bothered. So, actually asking people to vote for the status quo was not a smart thing to do....

However, it is done and the politicians have proved themselves to be as useless in this regard as in any others - especially a PM who said he would stand by the decision of the electorate and then steps down when things go awry. Unlike others, I don't think Cameron is being honourable in the slightest - he is just stomping off the pitch with the ball. Corbyn was compromised by his true feelings, being no lover of the EU, but as leader of a party that backed remaining in the EU he chose to do the minimum and will pay the penalty. This may be because he is too honest to do something he doesn't believe in ..... but if so, unfortunately he has no place as party leader.

One good thing that could come out of this fiasco is a change in UK politics - but I doubt it.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me