Will Trump bend or break?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums

Re: Will Trump bend or break?

Postby expressman33 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 pm

Back in 2010, David Cameron pledged to reduce net migration into Britain to below 100,000 – “no ifs, no buts”.

Here’s what the Tory manifesto pledged:
Deny Jobseekers’ Allowance to all EU citizens
No working tax credit until you've been here four years
Restrict child benefit and social housing in the same way
Eject EU citizens on JSA who fail to find a job after six months
End child benefit for those whose children live overseas

If he had achieved this I think we would still be staying in the EU
expressman33

Postby kevinchess1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 pm

Trump walks into the Oval office ans says 'I wanna deported 100,000 Muslims and a kitten.'
Mike Pence says 'Mr President, Why do you want to deport a kitten?'
Trump smiles and says 'You see, no one cares about the Muslims.'
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: anthonyhmacliam
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby macliam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:09 am

kevinchess1 wrote:Trump walks into the Oval office ans says 'I wanna deported 100,000 Muslims and a kitten.'

The actual punchline is - Trump sacks Mike Pence, tweets that Pence had "betrayed the desire of the beautiful American people to increase security bigly" and Sean Spicer tells media that "the fact is, the kitten poses an existential threat to the President's plans which are purr-fect. Period".
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me
macliam

Postby Chadwick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 am

macliam wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:Trump walks into the Oval office ans says 'I wanna deported 100,000 Muslims and a kitten.'

The actual punchline is - Trump sacks Mike Pence, tweets that Pence had "betrayed the desire of the beautiful American people to increase security bigly" and Sean Spicer tells media that "the fact is, the kitten poses an existential threat to the President's plans which are purr-fect. Period".

The kitten also looks suspiciously like a puppy, but when challenged on this, Sean Spicer asserts that it is an alternative kitten.

Thanked by: macliam
Chadwick

Postby anthonyh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:55 am

Derbiean wrote:
Yes because its refreshing to see somebody in power inflict their personal viewpoint on everyone else :crazy: The only people who stand to benefit are the people in power and the fascists that voted for them, everyone else will suffer under this regime especially muslims but screw them they ain't people.

And now he's fired Sally Yates because she disagreed with the EO and is crying that she betrayed the DOJ, the guy is a manchild its pathetic but whatever as long as he's "refreshing" all the harm he does is okay. :wtf:

He said what he was going to do.
The people of America voted for him to do what he said he was going to do.
Hi has started to do what he said he would do.
Simples.

Perhaps democracy isn't such a great idea :?:

Thanked by: stockportcounty
anthonyh

Postby macliam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:58 am

anthonyh wrote:
Derbiean wrote:
Yes because its refreshing to see somebody in power inflict their personal viewpoint on everyone else :crazy: The only people who stand to benefit are the people in power and the fascists that voted for them, everyone else will suffer under this regime especially muslims but screw them they ain't people.

And now he's fired Sally Yates because she disagreed with the EO and is crying that she betrayed the DOJ, the guy is a manchild its pathetic but whatever as long as he's "refreshing" all the harm he does is okay. :wtf:

Simples.

No,no - we're not talking about Brexit here..... move on!
macliam

Postby dorisifa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:00 pm

anthonyh wrote:He said what he was going to do.
Simples.

Democracy isn't some kind of fairy dust that authenticates a position or opinion or somehow makes a poor decision a good one. That's why there are so many other safeguards in place, not least in America the constitution and bill of rights. Democracy is a process, a means to try and move forward. Ideally it takes an informed people using good argument and good judgement to come to a concensus as best they can. But it guarantees nothing about the wisdom of the decision. A decision isn't "right" simply because the majority choose. You have to make a judgement about the decision itself. If you have a committee of ten making decisions on a new tower block, and the two architects and two engineers present state the foundations need be X deep, but the remaining committee members overrule and decide, for whatever reason, the foundations should be half the depth, the democratic process isn't somehow going to stop that building falling down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-democracy. I'm with Churchill on the quote "democracy is the worst form of government, apart from all the others". But bad, irrational and counter productive decisions are bad, irrational and counter productive no matter how many people like the look of them.
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

Thanked by: Sarah
dorisifa

Postby Chadwick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Democracy is just letting the people choose the leadership, usually through elected representatives. No other criteria exists for having your say other than being a part of 'the people'.

An autocracy is the opposite of democracy. This is where the rulers are in no way appointed by the people - tyrants and dictatorships tend to fall under this heading, but so does monarchy.

As others have noted, democracy doesn't mean the people can't make a bad choice, or that those elected can't be wrong.
Chadwick

Postby Derbiean » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

anthonyh wrote:
Derbiean wrote:

Simples.

Alternative fact y'all. :problem:
Derbiean

Postby macliam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 pm

δημοκρατία {Dēmokratía}, literally means 'power of the common people' and is the root of democracy, however over time we have ceded that to Aristocracy in its true sense (ἀριστοκρατία {aristokratía} meaning 'power of the elite'). :shifty:

Oligarchy is just a subset of this (ὀλιγαρχία {oligarkhía} meaning 'power of the few') and Theresa with an H seems to think that's just fine..... Although, on second thoughts she may be more comfortable with the Roman tradition of a dictator, who was empowered to undertake a specific duty. All other magistrates were subordinate to this appointed leader and any right to veto or appeal their actions was extremely limited. :wtf:
macliam

PreviousNext

Return to Other stuff