Vulgar riches/Good on him ?

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
Boro Boy

Vulgar riches/Good on him ?

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Feb 08 2017 7:39pm

Kevin (Prince) Boateng (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin-Prince_Boateng) stated/bragged that when he was a footballer at Spurs he bought three cars in a day....

Do you think:
1. Vulgar riches
2. Well done for managing to earn that much money
3. Can't make a comment because I will be hounded by the more aggressive members so I will say nothing!

:crazy:
Thanked by: Oggy, blythburgh

macliam

Re: Vulgar riches/Good on him ?

Post by macliam » Wed Feb 08 2017 10:08pm

1 - why is that something to be admired?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 09 2017 9:24am

A) why shouldn't he spend the money the way he wants? Is it any different than the young man who spends a large amount of his money each month on new clothes?

B) few people are that good at football so they are worthy of high wages and only a fool would say I will work for less than those around me

C) more of the TV money should be spent on building up a nest egg for bad years, stadia upgrades especially for the disabled and reducing the price of tickets

D) was it a boast or said in the tone of "I was young and foolish" back then?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Feb 09 2017 10:12am

could they have have been Pressies for friends and family ?
It's what I would do if I won the Lottery
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 09 2017 11:22am

Taking a pay cut to join Ipswich Town was ‘not a big deal’ says Cardiff City midfielder Emyr Huws

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/taking_a_pa ... _1_4882229

Proof positive that it is more than just making money for footballers
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 09 2017 11:38am

Sorry, substitute footballer by any "celebrity" and I would say the same - we do not need new aristos saying "let them eat cake".

Regardless of talent there is no need for anyone to be paid ridiculous sums to do a job of work - the England '66 players didn't play with less heart because they were paid less - as far as they were concerned they were paid more than they would have earned otherwise for doing something they loved. The same things applied to them as apply to the players today. Would someone in the position of Ronaldo not have jumped through hoops to earn £250k per year? Damned right he would, it would have made him the richest guy in his town in 5 minutes flat.

The world has been brainwashed to believe these people have the right to demand huge payouts - otherwise what? - they'll go and work in a factory?? The truth is, "bigging up" the earnings of these few gives some hustification for the executives earning vast sums too ......

The numbers are now meaningless, it's like the famous Stalin quote "“If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics.”"
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 09 2017 11:50am

macliam wrote:Sorry, substitute footballer by any "celebrity" and I would say the same - we do not need new aristos saying "let them eat cake".

Regardless of talent there is no need for anyone to be paid ridiculous sums to do a job of work - the England '66 players didn't play with less heart because they were paid less - as far as they were concerned they were paid more than they would have earned otherwise for doing something they loved. The same things applied to them as apply to the players today. Would someone in the position of Ronaldo not have jumped through hoops to earn £250k per year? Damned right he would, it would have made him the richest guy in his town in 5 minutes flat.

The world has been brainwashed to believe these people have the right to demand huge payouts - otherwise what? - they'll go and work in a factory?? The truth is, "bigging up" the earnings of these few gives some hustification for the executives earning vast sums too ......

The numbers are now meaningless, it's like the famous Stalin quote "“If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics.”"
I think the main blame lies with agents who were not around in 1966 and the Premier League. A worker is worth what he is worth, and if you are a good enough footballer to play in the Championship let alone the Premiership then he is worth far more than a man who works in a job many can do.

But far too much of the money from the TV rights goes to the Premiership and they give far too little to lower league clubs. In the good old days before the Premiership the money was far more fairly distributed.

But I agree some footballers are like the CEO's of the top companies and are overpaid.

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Thu Feb 09 2017 12:06pm

Agents + sky = ridiculous money.

no.1 definitely, you would hope the clubs would do more to try and advise their (especially youngsters) players on the dangers that could befall them in future years if they simply throw the cash around as tho it'll never end, a football players' career is short and a bad injury can make it a damn sight shorter.

Tony Cascarino is one example they should be shown, hell he has an autobiography describing how he forced himself to keep playing in his 30's despite the impact on his physical health (his knees especially) because he wasted so much money in his 20's. After he retired he did work as a pundit, in his book he had vowed he never would as he claimed ex-players who become pundits are hypocrites.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Feb 09 2017 5:02pm

Derbiean wrote:Agents + sky = ridiculous money.

no.1 definitely, you would hope the clubs would do more to try and advise their (especially youngsters) players on the dangers that could befall them in future years if they simply throw the cash around as tho it'll never end, a football players' career is short and a bad injury can make it a damn sight shorter.

Tony Cascarino is one example they should be shown, hell he has an autobiography describing how he forced himself to keep playing in his 30's despite the impact on his physical health (his knees especially) because he wasted so much money in his 20's. After he retired he did work as a pundit, in his book he had vowed he never would as he claimed ex-players who become pundits are hypocrites.

I see your guys are out of The FA Cup, so will you get promotion?

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Thu Feb 09 2017 5:30pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Derbiean wrote:Agents + sky = ridiculous money.

I see your guys are out of The FA Cup, so will you get promotion?
Probably not unless the squad can stay injury free, so far that hasn't happened. Also our record signing, the 8.5m Vydra is turning out to be a flop so far, our top goal scorer Chris Martin is on loan at Fulham til the end of the season.

de Saart is a good player tho so thanks for him :thumbup: