Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

Media articles about money-saving topics

Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

Postby William Joseph » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:03 am

If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: Dream onkevinchess1
William Joseph

Re: Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

Postby kevinchess1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am

Certainly a surprise to me
But V astute
Tories SHOULD steam roller it
JUST MY OPINION
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: Dream onblythburgh
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby William Joseph » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 am

kevinchess1 wrote:Certainly a surprise to me
But V astute
Tories SHOULD steam roller it
JUST MY OPINION
Unfortunately I think you are right. Labour are not fit to govern and the Liberal Democrats are fighting a lost cause.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: Dream onkevinchess1
William Joseph

Postby pakefield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am

Why do we need it now?

The party workers will be exhausted after the local elections and will have to start all over again.

Of course Labour might be stronger in May 2020 and pose more of a threat but if the Govt. proposed cuts to the number of MP's Labour will lose far more winnable seats than the Tories.

Elections stir up trouble between families, friends and work colleagues so I hope this does not happen.

Locally our Labour candidate and previous MP retired after the last election and so far no replacement has been chosen. UKIP man announced he was working hard for the party and had lots of plans. 2 weeks later he announced he was quitting politics to concentrate on his business and their has been very little in the way of letters in the local rag from UKIP activists. The Lib Dems know this seat is a the bottom of the list of possible seats, about 650th so we will get someone who is prepared to spend time and money so locals can vote for the party. Last time we had someone from Essex, this time it could be anyone the party decides.

So round here only the Tories and the Greens have prospective candidates in place and I wonder after the County Council elections and only year after the Brexit and General election campaigns how will the bank balances of all the parties cope with the huge cost of a General Election.

Thanked by: blythburgh
pakefield

Postby William Joseph » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 am

pakefield wrote:Why do we need it now?

I agree with the sentiment. I suspect Theresa May would say that she wants to have a strong mandate for the future of the UK. But I fear a futile question as it is almost certain it will happen and that the Tories will have an increased majority.

Thanked by: Dream onblythburghkevinchess1
William Joseph

Postby pakefield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 am

William Joseph wrote:

I agree with the sentiment. I suspect Theresa May would say that she wants to have a strong mandate for the future of the UK. But I fear a futile question as it is almost certain it will happen and that the Tories will have an increased majority.

A very low turnout but the Tories will bother to vote is my prediction.
pakefield

Postby macliam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 am

William Joseph wrote:

I agree - but given her style, I have a horrible feeling that there she has some worrying changes in the pipeline.....

She has always insisted that an election is not necessary - so either this is a cynical attempt to get another 5 years without opposition, or she's worried that something she has planned will badly impact her majority....... or both!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: Scrabble817blythburghkevinchess1
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

The country is very divided with many opinions remaining entrenched rather than becoming united, yet the government are powering ahead with a hard Brexit that never appeared on any ballot paper and there are very tough times ahead.

This election gives the parties a chance to set out their proposals for the way forward and obtain a proper mandate to carry them out. Unfortunately, since the Labour party don't have a credible alternative to offer, I presume it's not going to be much of a contest and probably just a matter of how much stronger the Conservatives become once the results are counted. As Laura Kuenssberg points out, an increased majority will make the government less vulnerable to backbench rebels.

Thanked by: blythburghChadwickkevinchess1
Sarah

Postby Chadwick » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree with Sarah. This is simply a move to increase the Tory majority in the Commons, which will allow them to push more stuff through without scrutiny. As Teresa May noted in her speech, the other parties are challenging or blocking aspects of the Tory Brexit plan already. It will be easier for the Tories to steamroller their agenda through with a greater commons majority.

I wouldn't be surprised if this decision was made some time ago and they have simply waited for Labour's popularity to crumble low enough before announcing it. It felt like Teresa read the morning papers and, looking up from her cup of tea, said "Today. Make it happen."

Thanked by: blythburghmacliam1960mackem
Chadwick

Postby Oggy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 pm

pakefield wrote:

Of course Labour might be stronger in May 2020 and pose more of a threat but if the Govt. proposed cuts to the number of MP's Labour will lose far more winnable seats than the Tories.

I thought the independent Boundary Commission had proposed boundary changes. :problem:

Thanked by: blythburgh
Oggy

Next

Return to In the news