Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

Media articles about money-saving topics

Re: Snap General Election annouced 8th June.

Postby dorisifa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm

macliam wrote:It's hard to see past the gleeful also-rans and rejects propping up May because they think their time has finally come.
It's many of the same people who were agitating when Major was in office, and made the conservatives "unelectable" for a decade. And now they're back on a tide of disquiet, ignorance and nationalism. The most unwelcome comeback since Birds of a Feather.
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

dorisifa

Postby macliam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 pm

dorisifa wrote:
macliam wrote:It's hard to see past the gleeful also-rans and rejects propping up May because they think their time has finally come.
It's many of the same people who were agitating when Major was in office, and made the conservatives "unelectable" for a decade. And now they're back on a tide of disquiet, ignorance and nationalism. The most unwelcome comeback since Birds of a Feather.

Thank the Lord I'm not alone - anyyone supported by Howard, Duncan Smith and Hague can't be all ...... there
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: Dream on
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby blythburgh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 am

macliam wrote:
dorisifa wrote:

Thank the Lord I'm not alone - anyyone supported by Howard, Duncan Smith and Hague can't be all ...... there

John Major when he did not realise the mike was still live referred to "the bastards" and Cameron only called the referendum to shut them up once and for all. Now "the bastards" are running the Tory Party.

And if you think either any Govt. cares about the poor think about this:

I went back to college in the 1980's and there was no grant for what I was doing so I was on Income Support. I can still remember thinking how unfair it was that I could only earn £5 a week before I started to lose some of my benefit but my friend who had also returned to college to enhance job prospects was allowed to earn £15 a week because he had a wife. But the Major Govt. spotted this unfairness and cut the couples allowance to £10.

Now when these allowances were introduced £5 was a lot of money, but inflation caused by mismanagement of the economy by the Wilson and Thatcher Govts. meant inflation had made it worth very little. Same as savings, not sure what it is now but it was stuck at £3,000 before you started to lose benefits despite the fact that the spending had dropped dramatically due to inflation.

Same as Guaranteed Pension Credit. It was decreed that once your savings exceeded £10,000 then your Pension credit would be reduced. Despite inflation in the years since the savings amount has remained the same.

Compare that with the annual rise in Captial Gains allowances and you will see that the poorest and most vulnerable in society have always been hit the hardest.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Postby expressman33 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm

I completely agree with blythburgh - The £16,000 upper savings limit for many benefits including JSE and council tax benefit has not been increased for about 30 years

Thanked by: stockportcountyblythburgh
expressman33

Postby blythburgh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 am

And do not forget how the much the Capital Gains Tax rate has been cut by the Tory Govt.

The amount we have lost would have cut the national debt considerably.

And public sector workers like Nurses etc would not have no wage rise or a 1% one when those in the private sector get far bigger ones.

No wonder many nurses quit the NHS and join nurses agencies, they are then employed by the hospitals at hugely inflated prices compared to the cost of an NHS nurse.

And do not forget the amount of infections patients get in hospital. A previous Tory Govt. privatised hospital cleaning and as one cleaner told a friend of mine at the time, my hours have been cut and I have to clean two wards now instead of one. No wonder how hospitals are not squeaky clean and cutting the risk of infection.

And then again remember the Tories brought in PFI to build places like hospitals. Something the Blair Govt. continued apace. One of my two hospitals is the Norfolk and Norwich which is smaller than the one it replaced and will now have to be enlarged. This hospital has money problems but if it was not paying so much to the company behind its PFI then things would be so much better.

It is time Govt's of all colour stopped giving money to large and often multi national companies. And made sure they all paid all the tax they should be paying.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Postby Pandora » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 am

blythburgh wrote:And do not forget how the much the Capital Gains Tax rate has been cut by the Tory Govt.

The amount we have lost would have cut the national debt considerably.

Eh what?

For one thing, we have only had a "Tory Govt" since May 2015. The amount collected from CGT in 2015/16 "increased by 28.1% to £7.3bn"

https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/201 ... ease-191bn

For another thing, HMRC CGT statistics show that it was the last Labour government that cut CGT; the amount collected fell from £7.9bn to £2.5bn in 2008/09. Under the Coalition government the tax take it steadily increased.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 16__2_.pdf

And for a final thing, the UK national debt is over £1,500bn; the loss of £5bn a year does not merit the word "considerably".:)

Thanked by: Sarahblythburgh
Pandora

Postby blythburgh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 am

But, Pandora, you cannot deny that the rich have had tax cuts under this Govt. whilst the poorest have lost out.

And you cannot deny that companies are paying less capital gains tax per pound of profit at the same time. And that only goes for the profit when they have used everything legal to offset their profits. It is not just companies like Starbucks that are using the system to avoid paying their full share of tax.

blythburgh

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 pm

expressman33 wrote:I completely agree with blythburgh - The £16,000 upper savings limit for many benefits including JSE and council tax benefit has not been increased for about 30 years

Never been an issue for me :?:
I don't tell them :o :lol:
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: parchedpeas
kevinchess1

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

macliam wrote:
dorisifa wrote:

Howard, Duncan Smith and Hague and Major
All in favor of Remaining in the EU
And you think they are all ...........
Politically incorrect since 69
kevinchess1

Postby expressman33 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Pandora wrote:
And for a final thing, the UK national debt is over £1,500bn; the loss of £5bn a year does not merit the word "considerably".:)

I bet £5bn a year would "considerably" help our NHS
expressman33

PreviousNext

Return to In the news