Sport overruns on TV

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Sport overruns on TV

Postby blythburgh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am

I was so looking forward to the Chris Ofili programme on BBC 2 last night, OK so the Men's doubles at Wimbledon was a very long match. But why did they then have to show the Women's doubles. This surely should have gone to the red button for those who wanted to see it. And judging by the empty seats in the stadium during the Men's doubles not a lot were that interested.

Too tired to stay up I must know find time to watch the show on Catch up. Not something everyone can do of course.

And even more unforgivable is the way the football overruns, extra time and sometimes a penalty shoot out. I am not complaining about programmes being delayed or even cancelled because of the extra time to get a result. But what is unforgivable is the way the yapping from the experts goes on ad naseum after the match has ended. More programmes are cancelled so they can yap.

It is one thing to have your favourite programme removed from the schedules for a week or so or have them on a different times or days due to screening of sport. But why do we lose them so over paid people can yap about what happened. The people who are most interested in sport are by now busy discussing it with others in the room or by phone, text, twitter etc. The rest of us just want our normal TV programmes back.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: MelDream onWilliam Josephkevinchess1
blythburgh

Re: Sport overruns on TV

Postby William Joseph » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 am

I get annoyed at the very fact that sport takes over the TV and all the "normal" programmes are even moved or cancelled for them
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: blythburghDream on
William Joseph

Postby Sarah » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:49 am

There's some coverage of complaints about blanket Wimbledon coverage and schedule changes here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -15072017#

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1Dream onWilliam Joseph
Sarah

Postby expressman33 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:18 am

they even moved the 6 O'clock news to BBC2 last week :thumbdown:

Thanked by: blythburgh
expressman33

Postby macliam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 am

Well, it used to be "cheap programming", but I'm not sure that's the case now...

Now it's "use it or lose it" as Sky and BT will be there to pick up anything the "free to air" channels don't.

Can't say Wimbledon does it for me, but I was pretty miffed that the Lions matches were all on Sky......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Sharing: *

Postby kevinchess1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Shirley in these days of everyone having 1,000+ channels they can accommodate everybody
I saw, on the BBC website, that you could watch any/every court on the Red Button.
I like Live sport as much as the next man but always wonder during Major Footy comps, how much interest there is in
Ghana V San Remo?
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: blythburghWilliam Joseph
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby William Joseph » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I do not have 1000+ channels
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

William Joseph

Postby MP3746 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 am

blythburgh wrote:I was so looking forward to the Chris Ofili programme on BBC 2 last night, OK so the Men's doubles at Wimbledon was a very long match. But why did they then have to show the Women's doubles. This surely should have gone to the red button for those who wanted to see it. And judging by the empty seats in the stadium during the Men's doubles not a lot were that interested.

Too tired to stay up I must know find time to watch the show on Catch up. Not something everyone can do of course.

And even more unforgivable is the way the football overruns, extra time and sometimes a penalty shoot out. I am not complaining about programmes being delayed or even cancelled because of the extra time to get a result. But what is unforgivable is the way the yapping from the experts goes on ad naseum after the match has ended. More programmes are cancelled so they can yap.

It is one thing to have your favourite programme removed from the schedules for a week or so or have them on a different times or days due to screening of sport. But why do we lose them so over paid people can yap about what happened. The people who are most interested in sport are by now busy discussing it with others in the room or by phone, text, twitter etc. The rest of us just want our normal TV programmes back.

By the same token, there will be others who would be just as annoyed if a major sporting event is abruptly ended without any post-event analyses. Moving an affected programme to another channel is a possibility but the programme in which it will replace would inevitably upset others. This is something we have to accept and understand that TV channels cannot cater for everybody.

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
MP3746

Return to Life's little questions