Just a thought

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

Just a thought

Postby blythburgh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:46 pm

The club did badly recently with the Carillion share price collapsing dramatically and garinden busy elsewhere had not realised it.

Should one or two members have a phone number for garinden so they can quickly bring him up to speed when things like this happen.

Not that it would have made much difference on this occasion. The damage was done as soon as the press statement by the company was released.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: garindan
blythburgh

Re: Just a thought

Postby kevinchess1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't think gardian can sell a collapsing share without the Clubs consent
Maybe something we need to look at
Big problem is, the Club are reluctant to sell at a loss and I don't see how you can/will change that
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: mikeblythburgh
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Share dealing should always be considered a long term investment (unless you want to get involved in highly speculative day trading), on that basis (forgetting current company issues - too late for doing anything about that now!) if the company structure and market place is basically sound (and I guess they must have been for you to invest in this company in the first place) then now is the time to invest more into this asset and sit back and watch...

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 am

kevinchess1 wrote:I don't think gardian can sell a collapsing share without the Clubs consent
Maybe something we need to look at
Big problem is, the Club are reluctant to sell at a loss and I don't see how you can/will change that

No, but if member A could contact garinden when there is something he needs to be aware of if would mean he could come on to the forum even if he is too busy to check it as he normally does. This would mean a poll could be done quickly though that might need a text or phone number for all members. But I would restrict that info to garinden for the sake of privacy.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby parchedpeas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 am

We could mitigate some of these issues by having stop/loss set on each of our shares although I think things moved far too quickly in this instance for that to have saved us. I suppose it's all part of the game: it's frustrating but it's all part of the process of learning. It will hopefully focus us all a bit more in the future: I was hasty with this share both on here and in my personal portfolio because of the very attractive divi which has now been cancelled. In the short term we will lose, but if they can ride this out and get to a point where the divi is reintroduced (even at a lower level) then I'm sure this share will recover some of the losses. 25% up today (from a low base, admittedly)

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
parchedpeas

Postby William Joseph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am

parchedpeas wrote: 25% up today (from a low base, admittedly)
They have been awarded a contract for the new HS2 Rail line
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

William Joseph

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 am

William Joseph wrote:

AKA the new white elephant that will cost a bomb and draw more workers to southern businesses. It has happened elsewhere so why are we different? A better use of the money would be to upgrade rail lines between the main cities of the north.
blythburgh

Postby William Joseph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am

blythburgh wrote:
William Joseph wrote:

AKA the new white elephant that will cost a bomb and draw more workers to southern businesses. It has happened elsewhere so why are we different? A better use of the money would be to upgrade rail lines between the main cities of the north.
I'm not sure this is the forum to discuss the benefits or otherwise.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
William Joseph

Postby garindan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am

Another thread I seem to have somehow missed as I didn't get a notification email about it. Apologies for that.

I think the only real way to try and mitigate problems is a stop/loss on the share. However, as has been pointed out above - if a share falls like a rock the stop/loss will not prevent a steep loss, as someone needs to want to buy the share in order for it to be sold. We could also have held a vote if I had been in a position to react but it wouldn't have saved much from the price crash, knowing the share price dropped a bit more on the second day. By this point we'd incurred the substantial loss already.

I think the wider issue/lesson is not to back any shares that are heavily shorted in the future - to mitigate the potential risk of loss and the price being dogged by the shorters.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

garindan

Postby garindan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am

I forgot to add - as much as I think it is a good suggestion about someone having my number the problems mentioned in my last post would still persist and we'd not really be able to solve them. That said - I expect a number of others are in the exact same boat as us with regard to the share price crash and we are not unique in that respect.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

garindan

Next

Return to Cashback Investment Club