UKIP leadership elections (the latest one that is)

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

UKIP leadership elections (the latest one that is)

Postby blythburgh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 am

I heard about this on Look East last night. Apparently even Nigel Farage opposes this candidate but a MEP supports her but I wonder how well ANne Marie Waters will do. It could well show just how racist UKIP is or isn't:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/uk ... -1-5125592

East of England MEP Stuart Agnew has likened anti-Islam UKIP leadership hopeful Anne Marie Waters to “Joan of Arc” and confirmed he will be her deputy if she wins.

Mr Agnew said Ms Waters was a “unique” candidate but admitted her leadership bid will cause division within a party still reeling from a poor general election.

Ms Waters has been widely criticised for setting up a UK division of Italian far-right group Pegida alongside notorious English Defensive League founder Tommy Robinson.

Sources also say she is being helped in her campaign by Jack Buckby, the only candidate to stand against Labour in the seat vacated after Jo Cox’s murder. He stood as the candidate for Liberty GB a movement which refers to transgender people as “freaks” and called immigrants “savages”.

At a rally in Manchester in June Ms Waters told the crowd “Islam is a killing machine”.

Mr Agnew said: “I will be her deputy if she wins. She is willing to talk about issues largely ignored by other parties – female genital mutilation, Sharia law.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: William JosephDream on
blythburgh

Re: UKIP leadership elections (the latest one that is)

Postby pabenny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 am

Now that the respectability conferred by their campaign to leave the EU is gone, the racism and xenophobia of UKIP are exposed. They are the less-thuggish version of the BNP and National Front.

Thanked by: ChadwickblythburghWilliam JosephDream on
pabenny

Postby Sarah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:25 am

Respectability? :o

No they never had that in my opinion however organisations like the BBC certainly played their part in the rise of UKIP and its poisonous agenda by giving these dangerous right-wingers far more airtime than their backward ideas deserve. If you're part of any minority - watch out. The country is now heading firmly in the wrong direction and it's going to take years, if not decades to turn attitudes around again; a deeply sad state of affairs.

Thanked by: ChadwickpabennyblythburghWilliam JosephDream on
Sarah

Postby Dream on » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:37 am

Sarah wrote:Respectability? :o

No they never had that in my opinion however organisations like the BBC certainly played their part in the rise of UKIP and its poisonous agenda by giving these dangerous right-wingers far more airtime than their backward ideas deserve. The country is now heading firmly in the wrong direction and it's going to take years, if not decades to turn attitudes around again; a deeply sad state of affairs.

The broadcasters gave airtime to UKIP because their leader at the time was a character and made himself available at any time to talk to them about almost anything. It made programmes. No matter that it was totally out of proportion to their party share at the time.

Regarding
Sarah wrote:it's going to take years, if not decades to turn attitudes around again; a deeply sad state of affairs.
Cameron has a lot to blame for this. All because he was trying to appease members of his own party. A referundum should never have been allowed.

Thanked by: ChadwickblythburghWilliam Joseph
Dream on

Postby blythburgh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am

Dream on wrote:
Sarah wrote:it's going to take years, if not decades to turn attitudes around again; a deeply sad state of affairs.
Cameron has a lot to blame for this. All because he was trying to appease members of his own party. A referundum should never have been allowed.

It is not the referendum that upsets me but the way so many people were lied to over the years by the far right tabloids and then the outright lies by the Leave campaign. Even Farage said he would not have claimed how much we give to the EU every week and that could be spent on the NHS.. The figure quoted was before the rebate we get and took no notice of how much we get from the EU in subsidies. Sadly many thought that the figure on the bus would be spent on the NHS which was not what the Leave campaigners promised to do, just made it appear that way.

That is not to say remainers did not twist the truth or even lie at times but nowhere near as much as the Brexiteers.

The referendum was never run on a level playing field.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: Dream onWilliam Joseph
blythburgh

Postby William Joseph » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am

I saw no point and no need for the referendum. The fact that it was such a narrow majority shows how divided we are as a country. A bit like the general election this year really. Our standard of politicians in this country leaves a lot to be desired. I blame all equally. The way some of the Labour MPs acted when Corbyn was elected was childish at the very least. Had they been more together and united, Labour could have done much better in the Election contest. It often seems to me that MPs do not have their country or constituents at their heart but only their own interests.

I despair at their standards and do not really think there is any one person who stands out as worthy enough to deserve to serve their country as the next Prime Minister from any party.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: blythburghDream on
William Joseph

Postby blythburgh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:45 am

We get the politicians we deserve. When people get attacked for their lifestyle by the media who are always on the look out for a story it puts some off from standing for public office.

And now it has got worse with Social Media attacks.

Just look at the storm the sad story of Charlie Gard has caused. Some supporters have felt free to verbally attack the staff at the hospital either online or whilst standing outside the hospital. Others who feel the parents were misguided wrote hurtful stuff aimed at them.

It was a tragedy for Charlie's family and attacking anyone involved either verbally or online was a line that should not have been crossed.

But every MP has found that some members of the public will have crossed the line between abuse and discussion of their views and actions.

Ifyou went to a Public School or come from the "aristocracy" then you are not fit to be Prime Minister according to some. You do not have to have been Private Schooled educated to be a great MP or even Prime Minister but then again it does not mean you cannot do the job as well or even better than anyone else.

Jo Cox paid with her life for having views the extreme right do not agree with.

Is it any wonder that some of the finest people of their generation choose not to put themselves up for public office.

And for those who think all MP's are on the gravy train should remember people like my former MP. He was a teacher, he quit and became Tory agent locally. Then was elected as an MP. Blair and new Labour meant he lost his seat. What became of him? He went back to teaching as he needed the money until he was old enough to retire.

Thanked by: Dream onWilliam Joseph
blythburgh

Postby William Joseph » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:48 am

I am so happy I do not have any social media accounts. People seem so keen to intrude on other peoples lives and have an opinion about moralities they know very little about. (Is imutual social media?) I do not think of it as such.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: blythburghDream on
William Joseph

Postby dorisifa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:14 am

blythburgh wrote:We get the politicians we deserve.

I don't deserve these arseholes.
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

Thanked by: William JosephDream on
dorisifa

Postby pabenny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 am

Sarah wrote:Respectability? :o

I should have said comparativerespectability. The BNP, EDL, etc were/are too thuggish to attract much support whereas UKIP's Leave message allowed people to support them without being condemned as racist.

I attended one of the televised leaders' debates. It was very noticeable how all of the other party leaders were polite, cordial and respectful towards each other - but all cold-shouldered Paul Nuttall. After the debate, Nuttall scarpered, whereas the other leaders chatted with audience members.

Thanked by: blythburghWilliam JosephDream on
pabenny

Next

Return to Life's little questions