Do I have good taste or am I just plain old?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Do I have good taste or am I just plain old?

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 am

Checking Free Post Code lottery out and clicked on "Bonus Draws" and scroll down in case I have a flash prize notification. And wondered what this was about "Be the first to watch Life of Kylie"

I assumed it was about Kylie Minogue but not it is about Kylie Jenner.

So is it taste in thinking about an excellent entertainer or am I so old that in thinking Kylie Jenner and the rest of her family is a waste of space. The only good thing I can say about the whole clan is Kylie's Dad coming out as transexual and being very open about their struggles and eventual change from man to woman has helped shaped public opinion. Hopefully some people will be more understanding about transgender people in general.

So many people even now are anti anyone who is transgender or transsexual. I am just grateful that I do not judge others for something that they were born with. Must be 30 years ago I saw my first transvestite man dressed as a woman in Norwich. I was not shocked, just saddened that the were so obviously a man dressed as a woman. I put that down to Danny La Rue's influence.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: Dream on
blythburgh

Re: Do I have good taste or am I just plain old?

Postby William Joseph » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 am

Who is Kylie Jenner? Don't go out of your way to answer, I am not that interested.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.

Thanked by: pabennyDream onblythburgh
William Joseph

Postby Chadwick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 am

Kylie Minogue at least has a story to tell.
Jenner is just 19 and doubtless has lots of anecdotes and humourous tales of spoilt rich kid reality TV celebrity, but I don't think a biopic is on the cards just yet.

However, "Life of Kylie" is not a biopic. It refers to her life in the present tense - ie. more reality TV about a spoilt rich kid reality TV celebrity.

I'm not sure how her use of the term "Kylie" stands legally. Kylie Minogue's management won a court case earlier this year over the use of the name. http://people.com/crime/kylie-minogue-wins-legal-battle-kylie-jenner

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 am

William Joseph wrote:Who is Kylie Jenner? Don't go out of your way to answer, I am not that interested.

One of those people who let a version of their lives be filmed and put out on tv etc for the morons who think they are seeing realilty not what the people behind it want you to see. You might have heard of the Kardashian family, Kylie is the daughter of the mother and her second husband.

And that is about all I know, and I feel that is too much information I have taken in :lol:

I did not know about the court case over the name and not reading the link supplied above. I have not got enough time to waste it reading such stuff
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: William JosephDream on
blythburgh

Postby William Joseph » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am

blythburgh wrote:You might have heard of the Kardashian family, Kylie is the daughter of the mother and her second husband.

I have heard the name but know nothing about them.
If you like a persons post, then be polite and use the thanks system to say thank you. Click on the thumbs up in the relevant post.
William Joseph

Postby Sarah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 am

Chadwick wrote:I'm not sure how her use of the term "Kylie" stands legally. Kylie Minogue's management won a court case earlier this year over the use of the name. http://people.com/crime/kylie-minogue-wins-legal-battle-kylie-jenner

That would be somewhat deliciously ironic if Kylie Minogue's fame had inspired Kylie Jenner's parents to name her Kylie!

I can't be bothered to try checking... obviously 'Neighbours' wasn't so popular in the USA but Kylie Minogue was/is definitely a global star!

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1Chadwick
Sarah

Postby Constantine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Sarah wrote:...I can't be bothered to try checking... obviously 'Neighbours' wasn't so popular in the USA but Kylie Minogue was/is definitely a global star!

Well she was half Welsh. At least her mother was from Maesteg. I know that much.

As to the original question. It's because you are just plain old. I often scan the Mail online. I have no idea of who half the people they talk about are. Even when I've heard the name before, I have no real idea of why they are well known. And if I make some some small effort to find out why, I can't understand why anyone is paying any attention to such gormless idiots.

But then I expect (OK I know) that me dear departed parents quite disapproved of my interest in the likes of the Sex PIstols and the Clash etc. They weren't impressed by Mr Lydon. I still quite like him.

Thanked by: blythburgh
Constantine

Postby pabenny » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Constantine wrote: I often scan the Mail online.

Please don't. Every click helps support the reactionary/racist/right wing* bigotry of the print edition.

(* It's the bigotry I despise. Whilst I'm not a fan of the right, I would equally call out left-wing bigotry)

pabenny

Postby Pandora » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 pm

pabenny wrote:
Constantine wrote: I often scan the Mail online.

Please don't. Every click helps support the reactionary/racist/right wing* bigotry of the print edition.

(* It's the bigotry I despise. Whilst I'm not a fan of the right, I would equally call out left-wing bigotry)

Your kind of knee-jerk condemnation of the Daily Mail is precisely the kind of bigotry I despise.:)

I often scan the Guardian online as well. Mainly because,as with the Daily Mail, they don't hide behind a paywall. The Guardian can be a bit of a drag sometimes, just one long list of complaints about how the world is on the brink of disaster. At least with the Mail you get stories about cute animals and dashcam footage of idiots driving into lamposts and suchlike. And the Mail's money pages are a lot better.

Pandora

Postby Chadwick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Pandora wrote:At least with the Mail you get stories about cute animals and dashcam footage of idiots driving into lamposts and suchlike. And the Mail's money pages are a lot better.

Mixed in with the hyperbole, exaggeration, fear-mongering, bigotry and downright lies. I never know what is true in the Mail - I certainly wouldn't trust it for financial advice. The crossword is quite good though.

Chadwick

Next

Return to Life's little questions