Sexual harrassment

The light-hearted side of life
blythburgh

Sexual harrassment

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 29 2017 9:40am

'im indoors was in the merchant navy on a passenger ship when he another crew member gave a "wolf whistle" which was meant as a signal to another crew member. A female passenger took afront and glared angrily at the seaman. He was obviously quick witted as he replied, "Not you, Madam, I meant your husband."

Whether or not the seaman was gay is lost to the memory but still a great story
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Sexual harrassment

Post by macliam » Sun Oct 29 2017 10:31am

We seem to be in a new Savilesque claimstorm at the moment and whilst I have no doubt that men in power abuse their position (and have always done so), I am concerned at some of the attitudes expressed.

I am no friend of Michael Gove, but the fact he was made to grovel for making an aside about Weinstein on the Today programme worries me greatly. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... stein-joke
I don't think he was criticising or belittling the experience of anyone - and the fact that "others" immediately jump in to condemn his remark suggests that it has joined the list of subjects "too precious" to be mentioned, unless with hand-wringing tut-tuttery. At the same time I query the motives of some who join the band-wagon, particularly when they use an example to push their own agenda - such as the lady who suggested that "This kind of thing will continue whilst men are allowed to remain in positions of power" :wtf:

I do not doubt the overall assertions of the many who have come forward - power corrupts and absolute power, etc., - but nor do I fully accept the claims until they have been investigated. I also object to the suggestion that examining someone's claim of abuse is in any way denying it, or querying why it has taken so long for someone to come forward is "extending the abuse". Weinstein's case seems to be a specific example of something that has been rumoured for years, alongside the romours that so-and-so "slept her way to the top", etc., etc. Many paths can lead to the same destination.

I used to do the photography for a friend of mine who had a short-lived taste of stardom in the 80s. I recall in one session that he confessed to me that he had discovered that a girl he had been dating was only 15 years old. Having met them briefly one night, it was a surprise to me - and obviously to him too as he swore he had immediately stopped seeing her. Our paths have diverged, he's no longer in the business but has forged himself a career elsewhere. I wonder if he worries that she might now come forward and accuse him of abuse and/or paedophilia? Or how he would now defend himself? Nowadays, it seems he should have demanded to see her birth certificate and/or for her to sign an affidavit in blood......

Life is rarely as simple as it seems, not all monsters are as monstrous as they seem at first sight, nor are all victims as innocent. For those who were abused, I hope that they get justice, but I would also hope that there is some justice for those who are wrongly accused too.... and for those who seek to exploit a bad situation for their own ends.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Oct 30 2017 7:53am

Sexual harassment happens to men and women and I am happy that the Weinstein allegations have made a lot of people rethink their actions and language.

But where is the justice for the alleged perpertrators? Bruno Langley has been sacked because he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in a night club. He denies it, the police have not charged him and apparently have yet to question him about the allegation. But the bosses of Coronation Street have sacked him. I could understand this if he had admitted the assault but he is denying it.

And as macliam says Gove made a joke for which he has been vilified. I understood what he meant by the joke and took it as a joke on a day the Today Programme was in celebratory mood as it was it's 60th birthday.

I felt sorry for Gove, not something I ever thought I would feel but I did.

In the same way the politically correct far left have taken over the National Union of Students and now any speaker from the right wing of politics cannot speak at any meeting held in a University building. Many of them have views that are abhorrent to my views and often based on lies or misinformation. But they have a right to be heard and it could well show the students to see how wrong the the speakers views are and how right their own views are. But if we are not challenged by listening to opposing views how can we really form a decent opinion ourselves?

We live in worrying times. The allegations are made by a person who can say it and live normally. The person who has been falsely accused will have to live with the "no smoke without fire" thoughts of many people. It might be proved to be a false allegation but the damage to the individual will live with them for years.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Oct 30 2017 10:03am

And the latest Kevin Spacey. An alleged incident that happened 30 years ago. The accuser is now 44, I find it quite incredible that people can get away with accusing people after all this time. Surely this is far to late for any meaningful investigation to take place.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan, macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Oct 30 2017 11:51am

William Joseph wrote:And the latest Kevin Spacey. An alleged incident that happened 30 years ago. The accuser is now 44, I find it quite incredible that people can get away with accusing people after all this time. Surely this is far to late for any meaningful investigation to take place.
The accusation is not one of assault, but in the view of the accuser it was an unwanted advance. Kevin Spacey's response seems dignified and forthright - 30 years ago, when drunk, he may have done something, but doesn't recall it. He was in his 20s, the "victim" was underage - but how did he end up being in a position where such an "unwanted advance" could be made in the first place?

Now Spacey is being beaten up because he used his apology to acknowledge that he is now living as a gay man, after many years of rumour. He is being beaten up by those who think his "apology" is not enough and also by those who criticise him coming out in the same statement. To me, it just seemed quite honest - but then, I'm not Hollywood.....

Over the weekend a woman was talking about being at a meeting where an older man had said that he would like to go out with her. This, she said, was inappropriate as it was not a social situation and because he was much older than her. Now, I may do this person a disservice, but it seems to me that this is far removed from abuse of power, etc. An older man fancies a younger woman and says so, shock horror, she's a victim. Rupert Murdoch, Mick Jagger and many others should be worried......

Let's just take a step back - this is getting seriously strange.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me