BSE Ends

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

BSE Ends

Postby kevinchess1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Summertime, what a nice day that was, ends at 2am
So remember to put your cocks back
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: Chadwickblythburgh
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Re: BSE Ends

Postby kevinchess1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Well I'm NOT changing me clocks
It's daylight robbery
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: blythburgh
kevinchess1

Postby Chadwick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am

kevinchess1 wrote:Well I'm NOT changing me clocks
It's daylight robbery

Save that line till the spring. We gain an hour in the autumn.

Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 am

Chadwick wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:Well I'm NOT changing me clocks
It's daylight robbery

Save that line till the spring. We gain an hour in the autumn.

No we lose an hour of usable daylight. It will be dark an hour earlier when we will all be out and about but it will be a light an hour earlier when hardly any of us will be out and about

Saturday I got up and had to leave the bedroom light on to see the switch to put the stair light on. This morning there was enough light coming through the glass panels in the front and back living rooms for me to go down the stairs without a light.

More people are killed and injured on the roads as soon as we put the clocks back, less are killed and injured as soon as we put the clocks forward.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Chadwick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am

blythburgh wrote:No we lose an hour of usable daylight. It will be dark an hour earlier when we will all be out and about but it will be a light an hour earlier when hardly any of us will be out and about.

You can see it like that... but...

GMT is our normal timezone, based on when the sun is at its highest point (noon). Dark evenings are the normal state of affairs.
We artificially lose an hour in the spring, to push sunset back by an hour in the summer, and 'gain' more daylight in the evenings, but this is a bonus on top of our standard quota. We don't reduce our daylight hours below normal in the winter.

Having said that, France, Spain and Benelux should technically all be on GMT as well, but they changed to GMT+1 when the Germans invaded in WW2 (Berlin time). They've never switched back. Gibraltar joined them after the war. They don't seem to have suffered as a consequence of the time change. Portugal has switched between GMT and GMT+1 (currently on GMT).

There was an experiment in the late 60s when we didn't switch back to GMT in the autumn and stayed on GMT+1 for a few years. I think it produced results similar to what you state (fewer accidents in the winter evenings, more in the winter mornings, fewer overall). The main opposition came from Scotland where in the north it didn't get light until 10am. Lots of talk about children walking to school in the dark.

Given that children walking to school is probably less of an issue now than it used to be, maybe there is an stronger argument for us switching to GMT+1. It usually pops up as a topic every year about now. Maybe parliament is otherwise occupied this year? But who will lead the cause for us to adopt Central European Time, just as we're withdrawing from everything Europe related....?

Chadwick

Postby macliam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Chadwick wrote:France, Spain and Benelux should technically all be on GMT as well, but they changed to GMT+1 when the Germans invaded in WW2 (Berlin time). They've never switched back. Gibraltar joined them after the war. They don't seem to have suffered as a consequence of the time change. Portugal has switched between GMT and GMT+1 (currently on GMT).

There was an experiment in the late 60s when we didn't switch back to GMT in the autumn and stayed on GMT+1 for a few years. I think it produced results similar to what you state (fewer accidents in the winter evenings, more in the winter mornings, fewer overall). The main opposition came from Scotland where in the north it didn't get light until 10am. Lots of talk about children walking to school in the dark.

Time is a political construct too....... with the UK leaving the EU, many in Portugal asked how long they could resist calls to change their timezone to CET (GMT+1) - although many pointed out that Ireland seemed unlikely to change its timezone any time soon....

From the map below, you can see how "politics" has altered the "natural" timezones for countries. Like everything else, politicians have found it impossible to keep from fiddling with the clocks - changing timezones, invoking "Summer Time" or "Double Summer Time", changing the dates for clock change, etc. etc. Portugal is a perfect case in point; Most of the country lies in the GMT-1 timezone, but it uses GMT - the Azores sit in GMT-2 but use GMT-1. Mainland Portuguese time is currently as UK time, even the clocks change on the same day.

However, there are impacts other than timezones. In Portugal there is less variance between the length of daylight in Winter and Summer, because it is closer to the equator. Equally, because it is artificially entrenched in GMT, dawn and dusk are both usually later than in the UK. It makes keeping you watch right easier, but boy does it mess with your head!

Last edited by macliam on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1Chadwick
macliam

Postby Chadwick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:30 pm

macliam wrote: even the clocks change on the same day.

I remember when it was different days in mainland Europe and the UK, and for a couple of weeks each year you had no idea what the time was abroad. But then the evil anti-UK EU made everyone do it the UK way.

macliam wrote:However, there are impacts other than timezones. In Portugal there is less variance between the length of daylight in Winter and Summer, because it is closer to the equator. Equally, because it is artificially entrenched in GMT, dawn and dusk are both usually later than in the UK. It makes keeping you watch right easier, but boy does it mess with your head!

At the other end of the scale, they don't have summer time clock changes in Iceland and other northern countries because an extra hour of sunlight in the evening when you have all day "midnight sun" is kind of pointless.

Chadwick

Postby ukrussian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Now BSE = bovine spongiform encephalopathy (Mad cow disease) what ended on Sunday was BST and we have gone back the GMT.
ukrussian

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

ukrussian wrote:Now BSE = bovine spongiform encephalopathy (Mad cow disease) what ended on Sunday was BST and we have gone back the GMT.

Well spotted - but you should realise (although you are totally and technically correct) there is a strange sense of humour on this talkshop so the owner of this thread would no doubt say he is right/write as well...! :wtf:

Boro Boy

Postby macliam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Sorry, just realised my map didn't display :oops: (now fixed)

As you'll see the nice straight longitude lines have been somewhat altered by the various political shenanigans...... even Ireland lies mostly in the "natural" GMT-1 timezone..... it's a lot further West than Greenwich! ..... and just look at Greenland!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
macliam

Next

Return to Life's little questions