Do we live in a time of - Distraction Politics ???

Media articles about money-saving topics

Do we live in a time of - Distraction Politics ???

Postby Boro Boy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:17 am

It seems to me that Westminster should be governing the country but of course there are so many other things they could talk about... :o

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Re: Do we live in a time of - Distraction Politics ???

Postby kevinchess1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 am

Some people, NOT Me get easily distr...look a butterfly
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby Chadwick » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 am

I think it was always so. Good news gets heralded with trumpets, whilst bad news is quietly presented on a need to know basis.

The growth of advertising in the 80s, spin doctors in the 90s and online social media in the following decades have perhaps created channels for communication so rich that it is easier than ever to create a smokescreen.

Media channels compete for viewers to the extent that a clickbait headline is as valuable as a genuine story. The political communications people know how to manipulate this, creating the "good day to bury bad news".

Chadwick

Postby Boro Boy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am

Chadwick wrote:I think it was always so. Good news gets heralded with trumpets, whilst bad news is quietly presented on a need to know basis.

The growth of advertising in the 80s, spin doctors in the 90s and online social media in the following decades have perhaps created channels for communication so rich that it is easier than ever to create a smokescreen.

Media channels compete for viewers to the extent that a clickbait headline is as valuable as a genuine story. The political communications people know how to manipulate this, creating the "good day to bury bad news".

...more so in recent times I think.

There is so much emphasis placed on peripheral politics that I'm sure this is planned to take the "heat" off what should be the main debates! As an example, I have not heard any discussion in Westminster about the interest rate rise and its effects on those living on the edge and how a strategy can be developed to reduce the chances of future increases - well if there has been any they certainly have not been centre stage where they should be. :wtf:

Boro Boy

Postby Dream on » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

We live in an age of 24hour news. It cannot possibly be completely filled with just the droll everyday political stuff. They have to pad it out with rubbish to keep the channels on air.

Thanked by: blythburghDenantkevinchess1
Dream on

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:39 am

Dream on wrote:We live in an age of 24hour news. It cannot possibly be completely filled with just the droll everyday political stuff. They have to pad it out with rubbish to keep the channels on air.

That doesn't answer how the main topics can be so saturated with rubbish that the main topic becomes drown in the rubbish...

Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:42 am

Sorry but the ultra low interest rates need to no longer be the norm. It needs to be done very slowly and, yes, it will hurt those on the edge but it needs to be done for the good of the economy and that affects us all.

Some people sadly are going into debt to pay for day to day essentials. But many are still in the "I see, I want" mode. And far too many people are not cooking for themselves but going down the ready meal option. You can cook nutritious and cheap meals quickly. But far too many people either cannot be bothered or do not know how to. A 70+ lady was complaining to me only the other week about the rise in the cost of living. The same lady, who with her husband, either eats out or buys ready meals.

Another problem is the amount of food thrown away each week. We only buy the fresh food we are going to eat that week. We do not buy something because we will probably eat it, leave it in the fridge and when we check the sell by date we chuck it. We do not buy fresh fruit and veg then chuck it because it has passed it's sell by date. We would only chuck fresh fruit and veg away if it has obviously started to go bad. But we invariably manage to eat it before then.

And our freezer is full of frozen vegetables. If you make smoothies on a regular basis you do not need fresh fruit that might not get eaten in time. Buy frozen fruit and take out what you need. This way we do not chuck out fruit or veg and it is fresher as it is frozen very quickly after it has been harvested. It has not spend days going round the country before getting to the supermarket and then to your kitchen.

If you do not have time to chop your onions etc then you even get them frozen.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Return to In the news