2017 accounts and notice of AGM

Bruce
Sharing: 2stars.png

Re: 2017 accounts and notice of AGM

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 09 2017 9:45am

Has there been any thought about crowdfunding, in exchange for some capital in the company? There are many platforms (e.g. Crowdcube) that allow you to do this easily. I also wonder whether the investors would be eligible for EIS tax relief, which would make investing more attractive?

The funds could be used to actively promote the site, get a new website design implemented, etc etc.
Thanked by: blythburgh

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Post by richard@imutual » Sat Dec 09 2017 11:17am

Bruce wrote:Has there been any thought about crowdfunding
I have thought about that in the past. My concern is that introducing outside shareholders would undermine what makes imutual unique - being owned by its members.

I accept that we should be prepared to think radically in order to grow the concept, but what I wouldn't want to do is become yet another start-up funded by private investors who will inevitably demand that the company is run in a traditional profit-maximising manner

I still hold out hope that imutual can grow virally, with members willing to put in a little effort to publicise our mutual model

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Dec 09 2017 12:46pm

richard@imutual wrote: I still hold out hope that imutual can grow virally, with members willing to put in a little effort to publicise our mutual model
I find it difficult to recommend IM when the cashback is less - often significantly less - than other sites.

The mutual model is great when members see something in return but we all forget that when there is something better on offer - which is why we all took the cash when the building societies de-mutualised.
Ccashbacklover wrote:
pabenny wrote: As I voiced in a thread over the summer, IM is slowly dying:
Ccashbacklover wrote: If it wasnt for the daily clicks, Imutual would be dead in the water membership usage of the site wise and financially - Profit from at least three different travel search merchants will be the main reason Imutual remains viable for the forseeable future.
I agree. The forums are fine but essentially are a talking shop for the couple of dozen people who participate regularly and possibly a similar number who visit without posting.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Dec 09 2017 8:19pm

pabenny wrote:
I find it difficult to recommend IM when the cashback is less - often significantly less - than other sites.

The mutual model is great when members see something in return but we all forget that when there is something better on offer - which is why we all took the cash when the building societies de-mutualised.
Ccashbacklover wrote:
pabenny wrote: As I voiced in a thread over the summer, IM is slowly dying:

I agree. The forums are fine but essentially are a talking shop for the couple of dozen people who participate regularly and possibly a similar number who visit without posting.
It is so easy to criticise, the difficult thing is to make positive suggestions for growth. What positive suggestions can you provide that will benefit the website and are achievable...?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Mel, an6ypan6y

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Dec 10 2017 12:21am

We seem to have lost our way since the following was said (particularly the "vision" bit):

See: https://www.themoneyshed.co.uk/index.ph ... hares.3392

How do we get back on track...?

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Sun Dec 10 2017 4:49am

Boro Boy wrote:[

It is so easy to criticise, the difficult thing is to make positive suggestions for growth. What positive suggestions can you provide that will benefit the website and are achievable...?

Vast majority joined Imutual for daily clicks and other no spend offers, as others have said key merchants Imutual dont have and significant merchants that Imutual do have far better rates elsewhere -

The number of transactions - extended transactions speak for itself

http://www.imutual.co.uk/report?id=910

The "Vision" was/is one persons vision, the only people who shared it/believed it was attainable have previously been described by someone else, correctly as "gullible subjects" it was never on track

https://www.journalism.co.uk/press-rele ... 6/a539428/

"imutual expects to gain over one million shareholder members in its first three years, courtesy of its unique free share offer."

"My vision"

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Dec 10 2017 7:30am

Ccashbacklover wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:[

Vast majority joined Imutual for daily clicks and other no spend offers, as others have said key merchants Imutual dont have and significant merchants that Imutual do have far better rates elsewhere -

The number of transactions - extended transactions speak for itself

http://www.imutual.co.uk/report?id=910

The "Vision" was/is one persons vision, the only people who shared it/believed it was attainable have previously been described by someone else, correctly as "gullible subjects" it was never on track

https://www.journalism.co.uk/press-rele ... 6/a539428/

"imutual expects to gain over one million shareholder members in its first three years, courtesy of its unique free share offer."

"My vision"
It could have happened if we had all pushed the site as hard as we could when the site started, As time has gone on the big two have got bigger and more well known as imutual has lagged behind due to lack of work by the members.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Dec 10 2017 9:16am

Boro Boy wrote: It is so easy to criticise, the difficult thing is to make positive suggestions for growth. What positive suggestions can you provide that will benefit the website and are achievable...?
I am well aware that Richard's focus has been on earning a living rather than running IM. I do not criticise Richard for doing that -
he has to eat and we are the beneficiaries of his largesse. The consequence, however, is that both the commercial business and technical development are in abeyance.

It's often easier to diagnose problems than to identify solutions. It is the role of leaders to set direction, and, sadly, there is a leadership vacuum. Do any of us want to step up and become the (unpaid) Chief Executive? Or even Head of Marketing or Business Development.

In the 'Slowly Dying' thread Richard twice promised to have something to say about the future of IM at the AGM. I look forward to hearing that.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Dec 10 2017 9:17am

kevinchess1 wrote:A V simple idea to produce some more income would be to put a line on the redemption page to encourage posters to donate some of their cashback to imutal
Even if it was just the odd coppers it would help
Upon further reflection I would not be in favour of this. Richard already takes a compulsory donation from some clicks. ie: Travel Supermarket where 60p is the payment for car hire but is capped at 15p and 25p for holidays and is being capped at 10p most gambling merchants have money taken off also. So I do not feel that a request for donations would be correct whilst this compulsory form of underhand taxing is going on. This is not a complaint that the practice is happening but just pointing out that this raises much more than any voluntary donation would ever do.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Dec 10 2017 1:12pm

kevinchess1 wrote:A V simple idea to produce some more income would be to put a line on the redemption page to encourage posters to donate some of their cashback to imutal
Even if it was just the odd coppers it would help
Whilst it is true I am a wealthy man I wouldn't donate a penny to imutual staff let alone a double copper.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]