Buuuggggeeeerrrrr

The light-hearted side of life
kevinchess1

Re: Buuuggggeeeerrrrr

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Mar 16 2018 10:37pm

William Joseph1 wrote:Leaves are always a problem here. Mainly from the churchyard.
I never understand people obsession with sweeping up leaves?
They disappear on their own after a while
Thanked by: Kelantan, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Mar 16 2018 10:40pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:Leaves are always a problem here. Mainly from the churchyard.
I never understand people obsession with sweeping up leaves?
They disappear on their own after a while
Unless they get trapped under and around the hedge and under ground hugging plants. Once the warmer weather comes I will get the leaf blower going to tease them out. I dislike an untidy garden.
Thanked by: Kelantan, blythburgh

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Mar 17 2018 5:59am

But a Blower doesn’t actually solve the problem it just moves the leaves to somewhere else
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 17 2018 8:10am

kevinchess1 wrote:But a Blower doesn’t actually solve the problem it just moves the leaves to somewhere else
its a blower collector. Toggle the switch.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Fuggsy

Post by Fuggsy » Sat Mar 17 2018 10:40am

It depends on the leaves. Some decompose quicker than others.

Our neighbour has 2 huge Beech trees that deposit Beech nuts and leaves in our garden at different times of the year. Our garden is still covered in leaves, despite shifting carloads to the dump.

At the front, I've started to sweep them out into the gutter, where they'll get mashed up by rain and passing traffic, otherwise the huge heaps that accumulate will stay there all year round!

A blower helps a bit, to get the leaves out from around all the nooks and crannies.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Richard Frost

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 17 2018 10:46am

Fuggsy wrote:It depends on the leaves. Some decompose quicker than others.

Our neighbour has 2 huge Beech trees that deposit Beech nuts and leaves in our garden at different times of the year. Our garden is still covered in leaves, despite shifting carloads to the dump.

At the front, I've started to sweep them out into the gutter, where they'll get mashed up by rain and passing traffic, otherwise the huge heaps that accumulate will stay there all year round!

A blower helps a bit, to get the leaves out from around all the nooks and crannies.
Leaves in gutter will go into drains when it rains and they then cost water companies to filter them out or to remove them and the rest of the stuff in the fatbergs.

Either way it all adds to the cost of the water and sewage rates we all have to pay.

If you have the room put them into a leaf compost container and let the worms turn them into lovely leaf mould.
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Mar 17 2018 11:39am

blythburgh wrote:
Fuggsy wrote:It depends on the leaves. Some decompose quicker than others.

Leaves in gutter will go into drains when it rains and they then cost water companies to filter them out or to remove them and the rest of the stuff in the fatbergs.

Either way it all adds to the cost of the water and sewage rates we all have to pay.

If you have the room put them into a leaf compost container and let the worms turn them into lovely leaf mould.
Or, here's a good idea ..... the council could collect and compost them - and then sell on the soil improver!

.....no, wait....... :roll:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 17 2018 11:49am

macliam wrote: Or, here's a good idea ..... the council could collect and compost them - and then sell on the soil improver!

.....no, wait....... :roll:
I think the problem is the amount they get back is far lower than the cost of collecting it. And with the Govt. cutting the amount of money the Councils receive and the fact they cannot are banned from raising the amount of Council Tax they need.

And in the end repairing potholes and caring for those in need like the homeless, elderly, disabled, children etc must take priority over recycling green waste
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 17 2018 11:54am

To give them credit my council does compost all the green bin waste and then it goes to Parks and Gardens within the council remit.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Mar 17 2018 12:03pm

Meanwhile
Back to the OP
I have a combined 4 figure sum and have done so for a little while now