How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby RonFlorabud » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm

I write this regard to the negativity from my posts in this thread which is now locked:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82810

I see the imutual forums being controlled and trolled by a very small amount of members. I appreciate the forums are probably of little interest to most members who are simply looking for the best cashback return (which usually is not here). I now understand why forums are no longer a useful medium for sites such as this. I am sorry I get frustrated with certain users and I do not mean to offend other members. I do not find threads about Heinz Baked Beans being reduced to 39p in a branch of Asda very useful. As most members here will realise, there are a few certain members who are clearly spamming and dominating the forums with similar worthless topics. People on this site know where to find offers and no doubt subscribe to MSE, etc.

Again, I apoligise if I have offended any members here. I shall be happy to leave the door and do my cashback shopping elsewhere. Unfortunately I find imutual has turned into a rather unpleasant environment and doesn't have enough resources for it to be taken care of.

Before I end my whinging, I would like to thank kevin for his valuable, entertaining and fun posts. At least some members are trying to liven the place up in a positive way.

Thanked by: macliamparchedpeasxrppziblythburghkevinchess1Boro Boy
RonFlorabud
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2122 times
Been thanked: 1075 times
Sharing: *

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 pm

RonFlorabud wrote:I write this regard to the negativity from my posts in this thread which is now locked:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82810

I see the imutual forums being controlled and trolled by a very small amount of members. I appreciate the forums are probably of little interest to most members who are simply looking for the best cashback return (which usually is not here). I now understand why forums are no longer a useful medium for sites such as this. I am sorry I get frustrated with certain users and I do not mean to offend other members. I do not find threads about Heinz Baked Beans being reduced to 39p in a branch of Asda very useful. As most members here will realise, there are a few certain members who are clearly spamming and dominating the forums with similar worthless topics. People on this site know where to find offers and no doubt subscribe to MSE, etc.

Again, I apoligise if I have offended any members here. I shall be happy to leave the door and do my cashback shopping elsewhere. Unfortunately I find imutual has turned into a rather unpleasant environment and doesn't have enough resources for it to be taken care of.

Before I end my whinging, I would like to thank kevin for his valuable, entertaining and fun posts. At least some members are trying to liven the place up in a positive way.


OK If you must whinge about certain aspects fine, if you think it may improve the environment on here but do not make it personal... that would not be acceptable to anyone, nor would it be productive...

Thanked by: RonFlorabud
Boro Boy
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 882 times
Been thanked: 1662 times

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby macliam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:34 pm

I would be sorry to see fewer posters on these forums, so don't be put off by those who think they know best - they don't.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam
 
Posts: 7159
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1434 times
Been thanked: 6835 times
Sharing: *

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 pm

macliam wrote:I would be sorry to see fewer posters on these forums, so don't be put off by those who think they know best - they don't.


I agree with you to some extent, it would be sad if these forums became a wasteland. The Forums are the USP of iMutual but how easy it would be to put people off (particularly the newer members) with nausious negative and personally insulting comments that attracts nobody and encourages no-one to join-in what should be a friendly and positive environment.

Thanked by: pabennyRonFlorabud
Boro Boy
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 882 times
Been thanked: 1662 times

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby macliam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 am

Boro Boy wrote:The Forums are the USP of iMutual but how easy it would be to put people off (particularly the newer members) with nausious negative and personally insulting comments that attracts nobody and encourages no-one to join-in what should be a friendly and positive environment.

Without wishing to make this personal, you continue to make the same point ad infinitum without one iota of proof and with little support. Allow people to make up their own minds and stop the control-freakery.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburgh
macliam
 
Posts: 7159
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1434 times
Been thanked: 6835 times
Sharing: *

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby Boro Boy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 am

macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:The Forums are the USP of iMutual but how easy it would be to put people off (particularly the newer members) with nausious negative and personally insulting comments that attracts nobody and encourages no-one to join-in what should be a friendly and positive environment.

Without wishing to make this personal, you continue to make the same point ad infinitum without one iota of proof and with little support. Allow people to make up their own minds and stop the control-freakery.


This is not contol... god forbid - this is a word to the wise that there is a different way, a more inviting and positive way...

And what is meant by the wording "proof of support"?

You say there is little evidence of support for a more friendly environment on the iMutual Forums what evidence do you have of that and what evidence of support is there to promote a spiteful, sour, bullying and sadistic environment which I could see getting more and more personal over the last few months against a number of members.

I don't know what it is but people pick up a PC and something comes over them, they think they can say things that they would never say in a normal conversation; its rather like people climbing into a car, they suddenly become speed demons or worse still, car rage! Let us all try and encourage members to change the direction we are going, rather we should promote a positive environment. Do you not support this?
Boro Boy
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 882 times
Been thanked: 1662 times

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby macliam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:32 am

Please do me the courtesy of reading my post carefully and quoting it correctly. I said "without one iota of proof and with little support", not "proof of support", so the rest of your sermon is inaccurate and poorly aimed. It is also not "a word to the wise" that you have spoken but many similar suggestions spread across several posts that you believe that the forums are inherently negative and should change. Has anyone agreed with you?

I have found little evidence of the negativity you suggest. Bullying on the forums has been called out and dealt with before, I see no spite - and no "sadism" (however that could be expressed verbally). Certainly there is robust criticism of people who appear to think they know better than others, or who seem to abuse forum membership. There is also a deal of poking fun amongst the regular contributors - but in contrast to you, it seems, I have found the people on these forums to be supportive and helpful.

Perhaps you should put your ideas to a vote - again.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburghRonFlorabudWayneDave
macliam
 
Posts: 7159
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1434 times
Been thanked: 6835 times
Sharing: *

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby pensive » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:01 am

Hi as a long time lurker I admit I don't normally post on the boards but I do find many positive contributions that have helped me financially and would be very sad if people didn't post. Personally I just ignore any negative discussions between other members, and am thankful that most people on here have something constructive to bring to the forums.

pensive
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:18 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby pabenny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:18 am

To return to the original question:

FACTS
As might be expected, threads about daily clicks are long-running and popular with hundreds of views. Other offers typically attract less than 50 views - often much less - and few comments.

Discussion topics (other stuff, life's little questions) are generally more popular than offers.

Interestingly, financial services threads seem to attract more interest. The Tandem Bank thread, admittedly running for two years, has >13,000 views and over 80 comments. A recent news post about Santander also attracted much more interest than most merchant offers. Possibly this reflects historic roots of IM in discussion about building society demutualisation.

Who's posting? There seem to be less than a dozen thread starters and a core of about twice that who post regularly.

OPINIONS
I see the low level of engagement with the forums as another symptom of the parlous state of IM. If I want to find a deal, I'll go to HUKD or a voucher codes site. I don't expect to find anything on IM that isn't elsewhere, nor does IM have any sector specialism - eg lots of deals but really good on, say health & beauty.

Banter and in-jokes always have the effect of binding together those on the inside and excluding others. And it becomes hugely off-putting when it descends into petty arguments (fortunately outright abuse is rare).

Regrettably the weighting between useful content and banter/argument is out of balance and it will drive people away. As someone else has said, the forums are one of our unique features. They need to be unique in a positive way.

Thanked by: RonFlorabudChadwickBoro Boyblythburgh
pabenny
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 1085 times

Re: How many "active" imutualisers are out there?

Postby Chadwick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:30 am

I've seen a few aggressive and passive aggressive posts here. (There's one in this very thread). It might start as 'robust criticism' but I feel crosses the line every now and again.

If someone feels insulted, then they feel insulted, regardless of the intentions of the other party. A response that it was a criticism, not insult, does not change the fact that one party feels insulted. The only way to avoid that is to take care not to cause insult in the first place.

That doesn't mean walking on eggshells or treating people like delicate snowflakes. It means just taking care over what you write and considering what the effect might be. If it's a joke, make it look like a joke.

As has been stated many many times, the forums are supposed to be a pleasant environment, and we all have a responsibility to contribute to that.

Thanked by: dorisifakevinchess1Boro Boycollateralblythburgh
Chadwick
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 654 times
Been thanked: 1781 times

Next

Return to Questions and feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest