How is your Council saving money?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

How is your Council saving money?

Postby blythburgh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

My local council, like macliam's which we will be merging with next year, has a lot of places which rely on the tourist industry. So public conveniences are essential.

But my council has saved some of the money it spends on the cleaning and general upkeep of the public convieniences. How? Well in advance of the merger they have set up new town and parish councils in the places that do not already have them. And some of the public conviences have already been passed on to the town or parish council. The rest they are considering closing, making them pay to enter or pass on to the town/parish councils.

So basically if they remain open it will be the town/parish council who has to bear the cost and the local taxpayer pays anyway. Madness.

Or they could charge the public, often visitors, just like they did with the ones by Southwold Pier. That did not work as we all held the door open for the next person, you went to wash your hands and stopped went to go out the door instead, letting the next person in free of charge then washed your hands. I did it and witnessed it happening many times. They soon dropped the pay to enter.

Just like Norfolfk is now going to charge for the dumping of household waste from DIY jobs. Everyone the local news asked at the tip was annoyed and felt it would just encourage fly tipping which costs a fortune to clear up.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: dustiestockportcountyexpressman33
blythburgh
 
Posts: 12462
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30898 times
Been thanked: 6440 times
Sharing: *

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby expressman33 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:48 pm

My local council have "temporarily" repaired some pot holes near me 5 or 6 times in the last 12 months , if they had done a proper job in the first place I'm sure they would have saved money . ( plus less damage to vehicles)

Thanked by: dustieblythburghstockportcounty
expressman33
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2066 times
Been thanked: 9338 times

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby macliam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:19 pm

expressman33 wrote:My local council have "temporarily" repaired some pot holes near me 5 or 6 times in the last 12 months , if they had done a proper job in the first place I'm sure they would have saved money . ( plus less damage to vehicles)

Mine got around to repairing the road outside the local primary school in November. Of course, it then snowed and most of the "repairs" have disappeared and the potholes are larger than ever. One, just beyond the Melton crossroads is so deep they will have to set traps for the kangaroos soon...... it's also nicely positioned beside a crossing island, so is becoming more and more difficult to avoid as it gets bigger. Presumably a few hefty compensation bills will force another patch-up sometime in the next decade. :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: dustieblythburghstockportcounty
macliam
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 6397 times
Sharing: *

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby pabenny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

expressman33 wrote:My local council have "temporarily" repaired some pot holes near me 5 or 6 times in the last 12 months , if they had done a proper job in the first place I'm sure they would have saved money . ( plus less damage to vehicles)


Ditto.

No wait a minute.. my local authority don't respond quickly enough to have made that many failed repairs.

Thanked by: dustieblythburghstockportcounty
pabenny
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 905 times

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby Thunderfog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Cut backs on almost EVERYTHING.

Thanked by: dustieblythburghstockportcounty
Thunderfog
 
Posts: 22283
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 3154 times

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm

It can't be a good sign when councils cut off contact with the people they serve; try and contact some departments and it is obvious they don't want you to be able to speak directly with them and this situation appears to be getting worse...

Thanked by: dustieblythburgh
Boro Boy
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 1481 times

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby blythburgh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am

The A12 used to go down London Road Pakefield but now you leave the roundabout earlier and go down Bloodmoor Lane.

But the old A12 is still well used and near the roundabout widens so two cars can be side by side depending where you intend to go.

So the left hand lane had a pothole in it and naturally we all tended to go into the right hand lane and move across once on the roundabout.

Not unnatually a new pothole appeared on the right hand lane.

Bless them the Council came and repaired the left hand pothole leaving the much smaller one next to it.

Needless to say the pothole is getting bigger and now traffic is starting to use only the left hand lane.

No doubt in time one large pothole will be fixed leaving a smaller one unfixed. But I doubt if the potholes that have appeared since the snow in the side roads will get repaired for a very long time.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: dustie
blythburgh
 
Posts: 12462
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30898 times
Been thanked: 6440 times
Sharing: *

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby Chadwick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:16 am

macliam wrote: Presumably a few hefty compensation bills will force another patch-up sometime in the next decade. :roll:

Probably not. My mother-in-law had to replace a wheel after hitting a pothole some years ago. We tried to claim, but the council had their response ready: they have an obligation and responsibility to try to keep the roads repaired within a reasonable time, but not a responsibility to actually achieve that goal. In the meantime, it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hazards in the carriageway.

Thanked by: blythburgh
Chadwick
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 1517 times

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby blythburgh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am

Chadwick wrote:
macliam wrote: Presumably a few hefty compensation bills will force another patch-up sometime in the next decade. :roll:

Probably not. My mother-in-law had to replace a wheel after hitting a pothole some years ago. We tried to claim, but the council had their response ready: they have an obligation and responsibility to try to keep the roads repaired within a reasonable time, but not a responsibility to actually achieve that goal. In the meantime, it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hazards in the carriageway.


Yes but when it is dark or the whole is covered by snow so you cannot see the pothole how can you avoid it? Or be like too many cyclists and use the pavement?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: dustie
blythburgh
 
Posts: 12462
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30898 times
Been thanked: 6440 times
Sharing: *

Re: How is your Council saving money?

Postby Chadwick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

blythburgh wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
macliam wrote: Presumably a few hefty compensation bills will force another patch-up sometime in the next decade. :roll:

Probably not. My mother-in-law had to replace a wheel after hitting a pothole some years ago. We tried to claim, but the council had their response ready: they have an obligation and responsibility to try to keep the roads repaired within a reasonable time, but not a responsibility to actually achieve that goal. In the meantime, it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hazards in the carriageway.


Yes but when it is dark or the whole is covered by snow so you cannot see the pothole how can you avoid it? Or be like too many cyclists and use the pavement?

It is also not the council's responsibility to make you drive safely in less-than-perfect conditions.

Thanked by: blythburgh
Chadwick
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 1517 times

Next

Return to Life's little questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests