Kick out the illegal immigrants?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Postby blythburgh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am

Of course a lot of people would say. But we asked people from the West Indies to come over and help rebuild the country after WW". At that time anyone from the Empire/Commonwealth could come and settle here permanently.

So they did not have to fill out forms or become a British citizen.

Now after years of living here legally they are being told prove you are not here illegally. Not all of them can prove they came here legally as they were children at the time. They have no proof they are not illegal immigrants.

For years they have worked for the good of the country as well as themselves and their family, paid all their taxes just like the rest of us who were born here.

Now these people are going to be deported to a country they have not lived in for many, many years because they cannot prove they came here legally.

If I read this in a novel I would say "thankfully that could not happen in the real world" but sadly it is happening. And I hang my head in shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43726976

And if you want to sign the petition then it is here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... atures/new
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: RonFlorabudDream onWilliam Joseph1
blythburgh

Re: Kick out the illegal immigrants?

Postby William Joseph1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:02 am

I have been watching this recently and am appalled that we have been treating people in this way. It seems to me to be a fundamental miscarriage of justice. I have signed the petition and would encourage others to do the same.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: RonFlorabudkevinchess1blythburghDream on
William Joseph1

Postby RonFlorabud » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I think the UK is in a slightly different situation today.
RonFlorabud

Sharing: *

Postby Constantine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Can't we start with the English? ? :)

Thanked by: blythburgh
Constantine

Postby William Joseph1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm

RonFlorabud wrote:I think the UK is in a slightly different situation today.
But it is not, it is a very real issue today for those affected. Hence the petition.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: Dream onblythburghkevinchess1
William Joseph1

Postby timco » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm

They have been caught in the Tory hard stance on immigration lead by a totally arbitrary and unreasonable target that eventually lead to #brexidiots. We like to think we are a tolerant country when we are and always have been just under the surface anything but.

Thanked by: Dream onblythburghWilliam Joseph1
timco

Postby macliam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I am genuinely concerned about the situation my wife will be in post-Brexit - but due to the knee-jerk, ill-considered suggestions at present I'm holding fire. My wife came to the UK 30 years ago on a visitor visa. Portugal was a member of the EU at the time, but the UK had prevented them obtaining automatic right of residence or right to work for 5 years. Like many illegals nowadays, she was then working in the black economy - or catering as you might know it....

So, when we decided to get married, I went with her to the UK embassy in Lisbon and got her a fiancees visa to re-enter the UK and after our marriage we travelled to Croydon and she was given a typewritten "Right to Remain" letter on Home Office stationery. Now, with all the rubbish in the media I wonder what "rights" her letter actually gives her and whether we'll have to jump through hoops to stand still or if she'll be expected to carry the vintage parchment around with her. How many others will be in the same situation?

On another tangent, those who came to the UK from the commonwealth would, at one time, been entitled to a British Passport - but not one which conferred the right to reside in the UK! I remember being shocked to see a British Passport (pre-EU) and seeing the "grade" of citizenship rubber stamped on the inside page - and in the case of my own father (born 1921 under British rule) erroneously stamped as a "second class" passport by some ignorant clerk in the Passport office. My passport (and I'd love to go back to the old Green cover!) had (and has) "Citizen of Ireland" printed on it, full-stop, no classes.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburgh
macliam

Return to Life's little questions