Syria Bombing....

Media articles about money-saving topics

Syria Bombing....

Postby Boro Boy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I just read the following which I thought I'd share with you:

There is no proof Assad was responsible for the gas attack, and bombing ‘isn’t about regime change’. So if it wasn’t actually him this won’t deter him, and if it was his enemies it will encourage theme to do it again. If Assad goes we get something worse. Make sense? Thought not. :crazy:
Boro Boy

Re: Syria Bombing....

Postby blythburgh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:43 am

I can see Assad as being the best for the country but the best of the worst sadly.

As to the bombing I could not make a decision, I could see arguments for bombing and for not bombing. And that is why I wanted the MP's to debate, hear arguments for and against given by experts and then come to a decision. But Mrs May decided not to risk defeat. I feel very sad about that decision and that the parliament was denied an important discussion.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: Dream on
blythburgh

Postby Dream on » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 am

blythburgh wrote:I can see Assad as being the best for the country but the best of the worst sadly.
Not sure about that at all.

Thanked by: blythburgh
Dream on

Postby blythburgh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am

Dream on wrote:
blythburgh wrote:I can see Assad as being the best for the country but the best of the worst sadly.

If he is not in charge the country will still be at each others throats and it could be Daish aka IS in charge. As I said, the best of the worst.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: bprev
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am

blythburgh wrote:
Dream on wrote:

If he is not in charge the country will still be at each others throats and it could be Daish aka IS in charge. As I said, the best of the worst.

...or maybe a better description is the least worst?

But wasn't all this done as a proxy war against the Russians to put them in their place rather that to stop Assad? :think:

Boro Boy

Postby macliam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 am

It's all very deep realpolitik, with the West needing to keep Russia in its place, wave a big stick about non-conventional weapons and try to shore up the collapsing edifice that is the UN. On the other side, Russia is busy dusting off the traditional chip on its shoulder and flexing its muscles whilst the US is concerned with the fat boy across the Pacific. Far too many angles for a mere mortal to comprehend, just a big game of Risk.

Russia is using disinformation and denial, but slithering its policy forward whilst claiming innocence - Syria is providing it with a nice proving ground, a warm-water port on the Med (and outside the NATO encirclement) and an opportunity for proxy war. Expect a flare-up in Donetsk or increased activity in the Baltic whilst the world is looking at Syria. The US and its odd allies (France in from the cold) have the opportunity to face up to Russia in one of the few places where their puppet strings are undeniable. One concern for Russia may be that France has taken part in this round, has woken up from its slumber - but with a bit more goading they might be able to get Germany to act ...... and then they'll be able to cluck on about WW2 mk2, like the Islamists talk about new Crusaders.

Then there are the claims and counter-claims - Russia has already dismissed the UK as a threat, but it is a useful tool in its claims that the West is goading the sleeping bear. First it poisons people using poisons from Porton Down, then it attacks Syria undeservedly (all they did was kill a few dozen more of their own people) and fires off 8x£800k weapons which were all knocked down by a one-eyed goatherd with a catapult. Jokers. My question is - where are the satellite photos - on either side? A few wobbly images of missiles being launched and a lot of hot air. If the missiles got through, then the targets would be destroyed ..... if not, they won't. Simples.

As Baldrick might have said, it's all darker than a dark thing in a roomful of blind men with the lights off.
Last edited by macliam on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghChadwickRonFlorabud
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby Boro Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 pm

macliam wrote:
As Baldrick might have said, it's all darker than a dark thing in a roomful of blind men with the lights off.

"Am I jumping the gun, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?"

Boro Boy

Postby Chadwick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 am

Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:

"Am I jumping the gun, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?"

I once saw written on the Berlin Wall - "Don't worry DDR. Baldrick has a cunning plan"
Turns out, he did. Two weeks later they knocked it down.
Chadwick

Postby Chadwick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 am

blythburgh wrote:As to the bombing I could not make a decision, I could see arguments for bombing and for not bombing. And that is why I wanted the MP's to debate, hear arguments for and against given by experts and then come to a decision. But Mrs May decided not to risk defeat. I feel very sad about that decision and that the parliament was denied an important discussion.

Any debate would have been along these lines:

May: We have evidence that Assad launched chemical attacks on Douma.
MPs: OK, let' see the evidence.
May: It's classified. If I tell you it will reveal our sources and methods of intelligence.
MPs: OK, so you've got a dossier of evidence. Sounds legit. We should send a strongly worded letter of complaint to Assad.
May: Srsly?
MPs: We should definitely not put on a show of strength though.
Other MPS: But we can't do nothing - that would indicate we are OK with it.
More MPs: We could pontificate and virtue signal?
May: Yeah. Anyway, we thought we could take out a few military targets linked with chemical weapons.
MPs: "We"?
May, OK, the Don thought so. We had a long chat about it, and we both feel it's for the best.
MPs: "Chat"?
May: OK, he tweeted me. But that's the same as a policy discussion with Big D.
MPs: Right. So, which targets?
May: I can't tell you. It's classified and if I tell you it will reveal our sources and methods of intelligence.
MPs: And how should we 'take out' these unidentified targets?
May: I can't tell you. It's classified and -
MPs: Yes, we get it. Sources and methods blah blah.
May: So, anyway, quick show of hands, are we all agreed then?
MPs: Wait, you want us to agree to attack some unidentified locations in a manner we don't know in response to an event we can't prove?
May: Yes, that's pretty much it yes. Look, you were fine about Brexit and that was much the same thing, so, er, if we could just get a move on here...
MPs: Can we at least discuss the timing of our attack?
May: [glances at watch] Er... probably not.
MPs: What's the big hurry? It's not a snap election you know!
May: Very funny. Look, can we all just say 'aye' and then we go home? Only I'd like to get this settled before the missiles land.
MPs: Wait! What?!
May: Er.... Brexit means brexit! Stong and stable!

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
Chadwick

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

There is always more to it where decisions are made on information we are unaware off...

Here's an instance and a bit of proof on my guess on the 'proxy war' coming true, read about the previously unannounced element of the conflict: https://news.sky.com/story/assad-may-be ... y-11332619
Boro Boy

Return to In the news