Is this really edible?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Re: Is this really edible?

Postby macliam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:07 am

pakefield wrote:If you like your meat "properly" cooked try the carvery at The Wherry in Oulton Broad. The beef is exceptionally well cooked, I think a slice of leather might be easy to chew. :lol:

I think you mean well done rather than well cooked......

However, I went for a meal whilst visiting my sister and they had a carvery (we didn't eat from it). The beef had that lovely grey-brown colour :sick: and the Pork looked strangely moist yet dry at the same time :wtf: However, at least 3 people sent their meat back because it wasn't cooked eough!

Someone else complained that the vegetables were undercooked - I don't think they'd ever seen green peas before....

kev has my sympathy.

Oh, I had a steak sandwich - rare. :thumbup:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby kevinchess1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

When I was first starting out in Cheffing sometimes last centruty :( Beef and lamb were cooked 'Pink' about 55 degrees
Nowadays the recommended temp is 65-75 and I have worked at paces who say 82 :shock:
There loss
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: blythburgh
kevinchess1

Postby 1960mackem » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:When I was first starting out in Cheffing sometimes last centruty :( Beef and lamb were cooked 'Pink' about 55 degrees
Nowadays the recommended temp is 65-75 and I have worked at paces who say 82 :shock:
There loss

C'mon Kev what's that in F :lol:

1960mackem

Postby macliam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 pm

1960mackem wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:When I was first starting out in Cheffing sometimes last centruty :( Beef and lamb were cooked 'Pink' about 55 degrees
There loss

Too F'in much!

The food police insist that meat must be cooked through - otherwise they'd have to do something about the bacteria in it due to "streamlined" rearing processes.

Odd that most animals don't cook their meat at all, yet seem to get away with it. (OK, OK, only carnivores, allegedly, but my Rabbit watched every mouthful when I had a steak!)
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:59 am

1960mackem wrote:
There loss

149–167
Burnt
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Postby blythburgh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 am

Talking of burnt, Kev, do you remember when you burnt to top of a dish in the oven and rather than waste it you or your Mum would scrape off the burnt bit and served the edible bit?

Now the scrapings are carefully collected and used to coat another dish. Not had any of this "burnt" food stuff but they serve it at refurbished (many would say ruined) "The Swan Hotel" in Southwold where apparently they want a Michelin star. And it was in a recipe in the EDP weekend magazine the other week. Apparently you have to take a leek apart and grill the pieces until burnt black and then you pulverised the pieces and use this burnt leek crumbs to cover the dish that was the main reason for the recipe (sorry forgotten what the rest of it was). What a waste of a good leek.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: kevinchess1
blythburgh

Postby Chadwick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am

blythburgh wrote:you have to take a leek apart and grill the pieces until burnt black and then you pulverised the pieces and use this burnt leek crumbs to cover the dish that was the main reason for the recipe (sorry forgotten what the rest of it was). What a waste of a good leek.

Isn't that what the US wants to do to Julian Assange?

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:52 am

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:you have to take a leek apart and grill the pieces until burnt black and then you pulverised the pieces and use this burnt leek crumbs to cover the dish that was the main reason for the recipe (sorry forgotten what the rest of it was). What a waste of a good leek.

Isn't that what the US wants to do to Julian Assange?

I thought he was happy here but scared to go to Sweden to face prosection there in an alleged sexual assault case as he would then be sent to the USA.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Another Smores vid on roast chicken. Bought back memories but not sure how today's home cooks would react.

The bird was plucked but otherwise whole, just like the ones at home after one of my parents had plucked the bird my Dad had just killed.

This is an extract from the recipe: Clean the chicken and save the giblets, neck, and feet for soup stock. I guess they expect you to know what to do with the head.

Yep, the bird on show had head, neck and feet attached and presumably you have to draw the chicken (remove the inside bits) as it talks about the giblets.

How many people today would know how to draw a chicken or have the guts to do so. (Sorry could not resist that pun).

Must admit this squeamish child was never in the kitchen when any of this took place. :lol:
blythburgh

Postby blythburgh » Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 am

You take an Oreo biscuit and wrap in up in bacon, use toothpicks to hold in place and then deep fry.

Apparently will leave your taste buds begging for more.

Not my taste buds as my mouth would refuse to let it in in the first place :lol:
blythburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Life's little questions