40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Postby William Joseph1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

blythburgh wrote:
pabenny wrote:
blythburgh wrote:On a limited income so have to shop carefully but worth saying no to a special offer to keep the corner shop (it is on a corner) and most of the time I pay the same in Tesco as there.

But are you just paying to keep the corner shop open so that it's there for you to buy things at a higher price so that it stays open?

We always buy our Fairy Washing up Liquid at the corner shop and got some more on Saturday. Looked at the price in Tesco om Monday and checked in the corner shop yesterday. Tesco was charging £1.30 and the corner shop is charging £1.29

So almost all of the time I pay the same or less at the corner shop. One item we do choose to pay a few pennies more for but that is the only thing I am aware is more expensive. And that is comparing the own label product in Tesco with the Booker label product.
Tesco are currently selling the 500ml fairy liquid bottle at £1.30. But are selling two 780ml bottles for £3 so effectively just under £1 for 500ml. I accept that not everyone will need that amount. but still a considerable saving versus the corner shop. However I do agree that the corner shop should be saved and preserved wherever possible.

Thanked by: Dream on
William Joseph1

Postby Chadwick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm

The corner shop is handy for when you don't want to go round a big Tesco. Whilst there's still a need for the odd bits that you 'pop out' for, I think they'll survive.

But their USP is convenience, not price. They simply don't have the buying power or economies of scale that the bigger supermarkets have. If we force corner shops to price match the likes of Tesco, they will just go bust.

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburgh
Chadwick

Postby Dream on » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Chadwick wrote:The corner shop is handy for when you don't want to go round a big Tesco. Whilst there's still a need for the odd bits that you 'pop out' for, I think they'll survive.

But their USP is convenience, not price. They simply don't have the buying power or economies of scale that the bigger supermarkets have. If we force corner shops to price match the likes of Tesco, they will just go bust.
I do not think any one is suggesting that corner shops be forced to do anything, were they?

Thanked by: blythburgh
Dream on

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am

Chadwick wrote:The corner shop is handy for when you don't want to go round a big Tesco. Whilst there's still a need for the odd bits that you 'pop out' for, I think they'll survive.

But if you check you will see that the prices are often the same for non own label stuff that is not on offer at the Supermarket. And like my bottle of Fairy a penny cheaper at the corner shop.

But there will always be people who think the Supermarket is best because it is cheaper. Like the person who told the previous owner of my local corner shop that they had to drive to the supermarket (about a mile round trip) for the loaf of bread because it was cheaper there. Yes, that is all they wanted but would not pay the difference between the branded loaf and the own label one. Of course petrol used, wear and tear on the car meant they spent far more than they save. :roll:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: William Joseph1
blythburgh

Sharing: *

Postby William Joseph1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

blythburgh wrote:

But if you check you will see that the prices are often the same for non own label stuff that is not on offer at the Supermarket. And like my bottle of Fairy a penny cheaper at the corner shop.

But there will always be people who think the Supermarket is best because it is cheaper. Like the person who told the previous owner of my local corner shop that they had to drive to the supermarket (about a mile round trip) for the loaf of bread because it was cheaper there. Yes, that is all they wanted but would not pay the difference between the branded loaf and the own label one. Of course petrol used, wear and tear on the car meant they spent far more than they save. :roll:
Most people though would plan their shopping and not run out of stuff. I have my weekly shopping delivered and it is a rare occasion (maybe once in three months) that I have to do any top ups locally in the week. You are a slightly different case as you have decided to use the corner shop in the way that you do. Most people would not do that.

William Joseph1

Postby expressman33 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am

William Joseph1 wrote:Most people though would plan their shopping and not run out of stuff. I have my weekly shopping delivered and it is a rare occasion (maybe once in three months) that I have to do any top ups locally in the week.

I , like you, plan my shopping, but some people might not want to buy food that won't keep a week , even in the fridge.

Thanked by: adamred6xxxraichxxxChadwickblythburgh
expressman33

Postby blythburgh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

I do not run out of stuff, we plan our shopping, do a main shop and top up shops for stuff that we do not have in the house. Or a top up shop for fresh fruit, the veg we have is either the sort that will keep until the following Monday or is frozen.

And our plan includes things that we choose to buy at the corner shop, usually at the same price as the corner shop.

Shopping this way means we do not chuck food into the bin, the only food in there is the peelings, cores etc. Not once edible food.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: adamred6xxxraichxxxexpressman33
blythburgh

Sharing: *

Postby Chadwick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am

We're absolutely planners for a Big Shop. When I see these 'life hacks' such as 'Plan your food for the week before you go shopping', I find it odd that anyone needs to be told to do that. How else can you go shopping?

But, sometimes we just need a pint of milk, or fresh bread, or vegetables, or a tin of beans. It's much easier to pop to the corner shop instead of getting the car out for a trip into town. The corner shop is what I need in those circumstances and I use it for that. It really doesn't bother me that I could have got it a bit cheaper if I'd schlepped to the supermarket.

Thanked by: kevinchess1adamred6xxxraichxxxexpressman33
Chadwick

Postby planteria » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 am

planteria

Postby pabenny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am

Not exactly new news in that story. The smart high street retailers are those like M&S that are already well into a programme to downsize and reconfigure their estate (although their store closure programme is very modest and they have other challenges).

Toys R Us is a prime example of a store that failed to adapt to a changing retail landscape. I've said earlier in this thread that department stores look vulnerable. Fashion retailers have always been at risk of mis-judging the season's hot buys, and of course are also at the mercy of the weather - the late spring must have really hurt. But I don't see any that are obviously distressed apart from New Look and maybe Sports Direct.

The retail sector that may be most vulnerable now is property. With less demand for real estate, anything but the primest locations in the primest cities is going to suffer more voids, more tenants seeking rent reductions or even trying to terminate leases. Retail property is no longer the secure investment it was 10 years ago.

pabenny

PreviousNext

Return to Finance & property