So do you live in an area of UK considered having the worst drivers...?

Media articles about money-saving topics

So do you live in an area of UK considered having the worst drivers...?

Postby Boro Boy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 pm

The following may indicate why your car insurance is so costly in the area you live.

Are you living in a region considered having the highest percentage of the UK's worst drivers?: https://www.petrolprices.com/news/locat ... -revealed/ :think:

Thanked by: expressman33blythburgh
Boro Boy

Re: So do you live in an area of UK considered having the worst drivers...?

Postby pabenny » Fri May 18, 2018 6:10 am

It's not about bad driving per se.

The linked article refers to the number of fixed penalty notices issued - which it erroneously calls 'crimes'. Bad driving includes a great many behaviours which are not within the scope of fixed penalty notices. (for example motorway lane-hogging)

The number of fixed penalty notices almost certainly reflects the vigour of the local police force in this area rather than the absolute number of offences. As such, I very much doubt that insurers even take it into account when setting premiums.

pabenny

Postby blythburgh » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

We moved from the South to Suffolk (my Dad's home county) and he was shocked at the poor level of driving here. A neighbour whose husband was an expert driver (he needed to be for his emgineering job) was also shocked when they moved here 30 years ago from the edge of London.

I do not think the level of driving here has improved.

My last accident was not my fault but the driver came from the Midlands. We were driving in Southwold on the seafront road. I spotted that the Alfa Romeo (as I later learned) did not stop at the white line that marked the end of his road the start of the road it bordered. Nor did he stop at the white line of the next road and so drove straight into the rear passenger side. The road he was on ended and you drive onto the adjoining road and then within feet join the seafront road. But it is clearly marked that you make sure it is clear before driving onto the next road.

He was middle aged and a partner in a quite large business so not a moron behind the wheel or a boy racer.

Thankfully my only accident this century.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: stockportcountyexpressman33
blythburgh

Postby pabenny » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

blythburgh wrote:He was middle aged and a partner in a quite large business so not a moron behind the wheel or a boy racer.

Complete non sequitur. People of all ages and genders behave as boy racers and neither middle age nor occupational status are bars to stupid behaviour.

Thanked by: blythburghxrppziexpressman33
pabenny

Postby expressman33 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 am

at a junction near where I live which is close to a college there is always a queue at the lights . Even though there are cameras attached to the lights ( working ???) mostly when the lights change to red ,the next 3/4 cars will always go through making less time for pedestrians to cross :thumbdown:

Thanked by: stockportcountydustieblythburgh
expressman33

Postby Chadwick » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

blythburgh wrote:My last accident was not my fault...

I keep getting phone calls for you.

Thanked by: kevinchess1stockportcountydustieblythburghpabenny
Chadwick

Postby blythburgh » Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 am

expressman33 wrote:at a junction near where I live which is close to a college there is always a queue at the lights . Even though there are cameras attached to the lights ( working ???) mostly when the lights change to red ,the next 3/4 cars will always go through making less time for pedestrians to cross :thumbdown:

If I am at lights which go amber not leaving me time to stop so I drive on and invariable other cars who were warned in time of the change follow me throght the lights.

And I have lost count of the times I have been at road works lights only for them to be green for a while before the stream of traffic stops allowing me, or the car in front, to go forward. Knowing that the lights are timed to allow for all traffic to clear before the other set of lights go green I know some of the vehichles went through the red light.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: kevinchess1stockportcountydustie
blythburgh

Postby macliam » Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am

There are many types of "accident", there are many reasons for "accidents" and there may be affected by regional or demographic differences. However, what we are actually talking about here is statistics.

When I moved to Suffolk from 20 years in London, I wondered whether the fuel sold here was different - as it seemed to take several minutes for people to actually move when the lights changed..... But then again, I could drive for miles down some local rads without seeing another car. Since that time there has been a great deal more migration from the cities (I forgot to pull the drawbridge up behind me!) and one thing I notice is the total lack of nous some drivers have when driving on country roads. I am amazed that the accident rates aren't higher, given the number of cars I find cutting blind corners and keeping the crown of the road when passing (of course the increase in potholes hasn't helped that behaviour!).

But the worst, the very worst thing that has happened in that time is the increase in 4x4s on the road - and especially the number driven by people of my generation because they feel "safe"..... What we now have are thousands of small trucks being driven down narrow roads by people whose skills in steering and positioning leave much to be desired. I can hardly get the Maserati above 90 anywhere on the way to Ipswich these days!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: kevinchess1blythburghstockportcountydustie
macliam

Postby blythburgh » Sat May 19, 2018 8:00 am

macliam wrote:There are many types of "accident", there are many reasons for "accidents" and there may be affected by regional or demographic differences. However, what we are actually talking about here is statistics.

When I moved to Suffolk from 20 years in London, I wondered whether the fuel sold here was different - as it seemed to take several minutes for people to actually move when the lights changed..... But then again, I could drive for miles down some local rads without seeing another car. Since that time there has been a great deal more migration from the cities (I forgot to pull the drawbridge up behind me!) and one thing I notice is the total lack of nous some drivers have when driving on country roads. I am amazed that the accident rates aren't higher, given the number of cars I find cutting blind corners and keeping the crown of the road when passing (of course the increase in potholes hasn't helped that behaviour!).

But the worst, the very worst thing that has happened in that time is the increase in 4x4s on the road - and especially the number driven by people of my generation because they feel "safe"..... What we now have are thousands of small trucks being driven down narrow roads by people whose skills in steering and positioning leave much to be desired. I can hardly get the Maserati above 90 anywhere on the way to Ipswich these days!

A maserati! Mine is a Ferrari ;)

I agree about 4x4's and people carriers they are too wide for country roads and car parks. Because of my arthritis I need room to open the door wide enough for me to get out. Far too often the empty space is useless because the car next door has parked in the centre of the space but fills it to such an extent my door would not open wide enough for me to get out. Normal size cars mean I can open the door as far as it goes and still leave a gap between me and the next car.
blythburgh

Postby pabenny » Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am

blythburgh wrote:I agree about 4x4's and people carriers they are too wide for country roads and car parks.

It's not just these. All cars have got wider over the years - a VW Golf is 1.8m wide; the original 1970s model was 1.6m wide. The original Mini was just 1.24m wide. As I understand it, planning guidance for the size of car park spaces and garages has not kept up with the increasing girth of our cars.
pabenny

Next

Return to In the news