Tesco removes Best Before date from some fruit and veg

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Tesco removes Best Before date from some fruit and veg

Postby expressman33 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 pm

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-0 ... mailvision

Whilst I will eat fruit and veg ( and other food) after the "best before" date I think this is a bad idea. I always look at the best before date and use this as a guide to the freshness of the item. I would expect to buy some items ( eg potatoes) and hope that they would still be OK to eat in 2 weeks time , if there is no guideline then they may be OK when you buy them ,but they could go off in a couple of days . Just profit motivated in my opinion :thumbdown:
Last edited by expressman33 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanked by: Boro Boypakefielddustie
expressman33

Re: Tesco removes Best Before date from some fruit and veg

Postby William Joseph1 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm

A retrograde step and a cynical ploy by Tesco. The fact is most savvy shoppers pick the freshest from the shelf and Tesco end up chucking the unsold or shortest life stuff. This way the consumer has no choice and Tesco wins hands down. Nothing to do with the consumer being confused about best before or use by dates as they would have you believe. In future be very careful what you pick from the shelf, it is likely to be possibly far from fresh.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: Boro BoypakefieldDream on
William Joseph1

Postby macliam » Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Simple answer - buy from somewhere that DOES give an indication of freshness. I will not buy meat from Tesco - I will not buy fish from Tesco - and now I will not buy fruit and vegetables there.

The meat started a long time back - Tesco imported a lot of beef from Ireland and sold it at premium prices. Odd, because I can buy the same producer-code beef in Portugal at half the price....... :eh:

Fish - we used to buy "fresh" salmon at Tesco, until there was a stand-up row because SWMBO refused to accept a fish that had obviously been frozen (and probably refrozen)..... she knows fish and fresh fish has bright eyes and clean gills ...... take a look at the fish in Tesco next time you're there. :roll: Then we bought a "fresh" crab - which, when we undid the clingfilm, stank to high heaven. Now old fish is one thing, but bad seafood can kill you..... :wtf:

Although Tesco is the closest main supermarket, I actually spend more money in Lidl than I do in Tesco these days ..... not for price, but for quality.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: Phil85pakefieldexpressman33
macliam

Postby pakefield » Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Surely people can see whether or not fruit and veg or edible or not and do not chuck edible stuff away? Sadly some probably do.
pakefield

Postby macliam » Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm

pakefield wrote:Surely people can see whether or not fruit and veg or edible or not and do not chuck edible stuff away? Sadly some probably do.

Listen, when people throw away tinned items because they're past their date, anything can happen! :roll:

Hermetically sealed tins were designed to last for ages - I remember back in the day that someone tried some tinned beef that Scott had taken with him to the Antarctic!....... and when my dear old one died, we found tins in her store cupboard with the prices still in £SD!!

With the fruit, the date gave an indication of which was freshest...... (freshest out of the container and off the ship, that is!). Last year I ate Mango grown in the Algarve and bought the day it was picked............ the difference was staggering!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghexpressman33
macliam

Postby blythburgh » Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 am

The trouble is the fruit and veg are picked and left to ripen on route or in our homes.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby pabenny » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 am

expressman33 wrote:Just profit motivated in my opinion

Reducing waste is a Good Thing

If Tesco end up with less store waste, their profits may increase - so why the downer on them?

We can all switch our purchases elsewhere if we find that our veg goes rotten quickly.

Thanked by: blythburgh
pabenny

Postby blythburgh » Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 am

pabenny wrote:

If Tesco end up with less store waste, their profits may increase - so why the downer on them?

We can all switch our purchases elsewhere if we find that our veg goes rotten quickly.

If your veg goes rotten before you use it then why not be like us and get frozen veg. Some of our veg is fresh but a lot is frozen. This means it is fresher and nothing is wasted.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby xrppzi » Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 am

blythburgh wrote:
pabenny wrote:

If your veg goes rotten before you use it then why not be like us and get frozen veg. Some of our veg is fresh but a lot is frozen. This means it is fresher and nothing is wasted.

We love our veg and quite frankly, the variety of frozen veg is quite limited and most of it just doesn't taste as good as fresh! But why not just buy less? We only buy what we think we can eat in a week, and if there is some surplus or starting to look a bit limp, it's used for a soup or a stew.

Thanked by: blythburgh
xrppzi

Postby Chadwick » Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 am

How do people manage who buy loose fruit and veg that already isn't dated?
(Rhetorical question. I know how we manage; we pick the produce that looks and feels the freshest.)

I think this move will encourage shoppers to actually look at what they're buying and assess it's freshness. If we find the food is generally not lasting long enough, Tesco will get a reputation for not selling fresh produce. Other suppliers will capitalise on that.

This move will shift our judgment of supermarkets towards 'which has the freshest food'. I think that is a good thing.

Thanked by: blythburghexpressman33xrppzi
Chadwick

Next

Return to Life's little questions