MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Money, investing, mutuals etc

MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Postby expressman33 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanked by: blythburghdustiestockportcounty
expressman33

Re: MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Postby William Joseph1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

This is a joint report from two select committees of parliament, it is advisory and may or may not influence the governments green paper which is scheduled to be published in the autumn. The commitees took evidence from many sources including the Citizens Assembly on Social Care which met in Birmingham over two recent weekends. The funding of Social Care is something which needs to be tackled urgently and has been avoided by successive governments for over 20 years. I hold my breath to see if Theresa Mays government adopts or takes on any of the suggestions in any part of this report.

The full report for more information is here: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 68/768.pdf
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: Chadwickblythburghkevinchess1
William Joseph1

Postby macliam » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Yep, Tories are going to vote for extra tax on older voters.... d'ya think? :eh:

Turkeys, Christmas ....... who knows.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: Chadwickblythburgh
macliam

Postby kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I doubt that this will be enacted on during this parliament They will kick the can down the road,same as all governments have for the last 20+ years
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: ChadwickblythburghDream onWilliam Joseph1
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby William Joseph1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm

My views on this are well known. I personally think that Social care and the NHS should be combined into one and there should be a dedicated tax to cover the whole shebang. It will relieve a lot of pressure on local councils. Council Tax will be reduced and cost savings by bringing them together should be forthcoming. As I have said elsewhere within these forums, I also think that National Insurance should be paid by those people who are above pension age and are still working, who are currently exempt. Unlike kevinchess1 I am not sure they government will kick the can down the road. The maybot does seem keen to make decisions that others have feared to make in the past. But time will tell and Kevin may well be proved correct.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Thanked by: blythburghDream onkevinchess1
William Joseph1

Postby kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Two words WJ

BREX IT!
#pakefieldsLaw
Politically incorrect since 69

Thanked by: ChadwickblythburghdustieWilliam Joseph1
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby macliam » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:My views on this are well known. I personally think that Social care and the NHS should be combined into one and there should be a dedicated tax to cover the whole shebang. It will relieve a lot of pressure on local councils. Council Tax will be reduced and cost savings by bringing them together should be forthcoming. As I have said elsewhere within these forums, I also think that National Insurance should be paid by those people who are above pension age and are still working, who are currently exempt. Unlike kevinchess1 I am not sure they government will kick the can down the road. The maybot does seem keen to make decisions that others have feared to make in the past. But time will tell and Kevin may well be proved correct.

I'd go further (turkey/Christmas :eh: ) ..... I agree that well-off pensioners should contribute too. The problem is, at what level, etc. The idea of losing a large percentage of accumulated wealth (as in the dementia tax) is just a disincentive to save/invest - but paying Tax/NI on high levels of investment return is different as the capital is unchanged.

Thanked by: pabennyblythburghDream ondustiekevinchess1
macliam

Postby blythburgh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am

Ah the Dementia tax of the last Tory manifesto. Trouble is some are paying a heavy dementia tax already but under the proposed system everyone who ended up in a care home would have been able to pass on far, far more of their savings/property value than they do now unless they die quickly. And dementia is something you live with for years before you die.

Cruel and unfair that if you own a property and live in it with carers coming in more than once a day at great cost to the social services budget you leave a nice inheritance but if you end up in a care home your family get very little unless you pop your clogs quickly
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Thanked by: dustie
blythburgh

Postby macliam » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:06 pm

burger, I agree that the current situation is bad and unequal - however the proposed dementia tax would have made it worse. Although it did set aside a proportion of the estate as an inheritance, it would have seen ALL people requiring social care paying the majority of their estate to the state, including those who currently receive care in their own homes and do not need to pay. The proposal was an open door for the state to claw back the majority of all the gains made during a working life .... unless, of course, you had the resources to fight it.

Having sold the idea of lumping university fees and living expenses as long-term debt onto students, this wheeze would have seen social care funded in a similar way. So a person will be in debt for student expenses and/or in debt whilst paying a mortgage and/or in debt once they are too old to work - lifetime debt. I may be paranoid, but it seems to me that someone in debt is someone who has more to lose if they "make a fuss"..... an indebted nation is a pacific nation.

Thanked by: dustieblythburgh
macliam

Postby Boro Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Do people only require social care after age 40...? :eh:

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Next

Return to Finance & property