Insect Infestation

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Re: Insect Infestation

Postby blythburgh » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 pm

As far as I can remember the piece on Look East happened because the owners could not keep it properly warm in the winter. Independent surveyor found out it had not been built properly though to thee and me it would have looked fine. Do you know a proper builder who could check for you.

If it is a problem with the building then you deserve compensation though whether or not you would get it is another matter of course.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am

What ever happened to Local Council Pest Control Officers...!?!

Every Council I come into contact with have disbanded this department which I thought was a public service...

Thanked by: blythburgh
Boro Boy

Postby blythburgh » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

Boro Boy wrote:What ever happened to Local Council Pest Control Officers...!?!

Every Council I come into contact with have disbanded this department which I thought was a public service...

The Tory Govt cut the Council grants to the bone and then some. Something has to give and pest control companies exist. Tough if you cannot afford to use them of course. But Councillors are like the rest of us, they have X amount of money and then have to spend it as wisely as they can. We have to make sure we pay bills, put food on the table etc before we think about buying new clothes etc. And sadly no Council can spend money on everything they consider important and have to decide on which of the essentials they can cut back on.

Even Tory Councillors are complaining about the cuts.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler
blythburgh

Postby expressman33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

blythburgh wrote:
The Tory Govt cut the Council grants to the bone and then some. Something has to give and pest control companies exist. Tough if you cannot afford to use them of course. But Councillors are like the rest of us, they have X amount of money and then have to spend it as wisely as they can.

But then you see your local council wasting money on non-essential things .My local council spent £1.6 million on restoring an old bridge ( which hadn't been seen or used for over 75 years) over the River Mersey and create a "viewing area" https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ed-8580876

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
expressman33

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 pm

blythburgh wrote:

The Tory Govt cut the Council grants to the bone and then some. Something has to give and pest control companies exist. Tough if you cannot afford to use them of course. But Councillors are like the rest of us, they have X amount of money and then have to spend it as wisely as they can. We have to make sure we pay bills, put food on the table etc before we think about buying new clothes etc. And sadly no Council can spend money on everything they consider important and have to decide on which of the essentials they can cut back on.

...but in London (can't speak about where you live) the old a Council Pest Control Officers disappeared a long time ago during a Labour Government and with a Labour majority council... So just blaming the Tories is highly inaccurate...!

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1
Boro Boy

Postby macliam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

expressman33 wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
The Tory Govt cut the Council grants to the bone and then some. Something has to give and pest control companies exist. Tough if you cannot afford to use them of course. But Councillors are like the rest of us, they have X amount of money and then have to spend it as wisely as they can.

But then you see your local council wasting money on non-essential things .My local council spent £1.6 million on restoring an old bridge ( which hadn't been seen or used for over 75 years) over the River Mersey and create a "viewing area" https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ed-8580876

They probably got a special grant for that - it's different to "current account" spending. :roll:
Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:

...but in London (can't speak about where you live) the old a Council Pest Control Officers disappeared a long time ago during a Labour Government and with a Labour majority council... So just blaming the Tories is highly inaccurate...!

As above, it's the pressure on "current account" services which must be funded from within the council's revenues. For some things they can look for funding, or partial funding, elsewhere - but for others that have had to cut their suit according to their cloth. At one time, public health departments and pest control were vital to prevent disease, now that is not seen as a priority.

I'm not saying it's right.........
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Thanked by: blythburghkevinchess1Boro Boy
macliam

Sharing: *

Postby Boro Boy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 pm

I agree, some of these cuts are not because of financial issues...

When the last financial crisis happened and an Icelandic bank collapsed Kent County Council (KCC) were talking about loosing an extraordinary figure (in the £100,000,000+ range) which it had on deposit with them - some would ask what is a Council doing having that much money in savings (along with other amounts) when that should be spent on public services....? Obviously something should be held in reserve but...!

Boro Boy

Postby macliam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Boro Boy wrote:I agree, some of these cuts are not because of financial issues...

When the last financial crisis happened and an Icelandic bank collapsed Kent County Council (KCC) were talking about loosing an extraordinary figure (in the £100,000,000+ range) which it had on deposit with them - some would ask what is a Council doing having that much money in savings (along with other amounts) when that should be spent on public services....? Obviously something should be held in reserve but...!

Two sides of the same coin - reserves, pension funds, even deferred expense capital. By getting the best return on their "free" capital" they could offset other costs without increasing the load on thieir fixed annual income.

Nice idea, but....... (says the man with a 20/20 retroscope)

Of course, all this has worsened due to the decreasing contribution from central government - but we must all learn to live within our means, said Mum as she used my pocket money to pay the gas bill...............
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Sharing: *

Postby xxxraichxxx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Photo of the springtail
Attachments
download.png
download.png (38.79 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

xxxraichxxx

Postby xxxraichxxx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Again, but bear in mind these are zoomed in.

Some are very tiny!!
Attachments
download (1).png
download (1).png (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

xxxraichxxx

PreviousNext

Return to Life's little questions