Share club valuation @ 8 Jul 2018

parchedpeas

Re: Share club valuation @ 8 Jul 2018

Post by parchedpeas » Wed Jul 11 2018 11:50pm

richard@imutual wrote:I agree with a number of things you've said. Kev, but to put our latest month in context ... the FTSE 350 dropped by 1.1% over the same period. So our drop of -1.42% is not in itself a significant outcome
My point for Kev is that he just needs to start a poll!

eg. Do we sell GNK at whatever price?

If you want to get rid of these shares, you don't need to ask permission. The club is run on consensus. If you want to win the argument, convince us. Otherwise, stop moaning.
Thanked by: blythburgh

garindan

Re: Share club valuation @ 8 Jul 2018

Post by garindan » Thu Jul 19 2018 12:41pm

I always seem to miss these posts for some reason, hence my silence until now when I found it browsing.

Firstly, we have agreed a new way forward. There are two sides to it:

Income
---------
We have agreed to reduce the number of different shares we hold down over time. Vodafone and GNK are the two I identified as potentially the two we should consider our position on when the time is right. There seems little point in selling these shares right now when the time doesn't seem right, just for the sake of it. Some funds hold shares for years getting income and don't really care about selling any of them at all. I've suggested a 3x dividend gain from the purchase price would probably be sensible - unless we are looking to exit from a share under a controlled and sensible manner.

Risky
------
Here we now have two shares. One rose up to ~+18% at one point. There is an argument we should have sold, considering it is now ~-2%. However, we also agreed we were in this for big gains on smaller cap companies. If it had gone up significantly and we'd sold at +18% then it would have been our own fault for not sticking to the plan. Time will tell whether this risky strategy will pay off or not...
Thanked by: blythburgh
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.