Time for this (again)

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Should we ditch daylight saving time?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 10 2018 3:04pm

Remain as we are thanks!
24%
Leave clock-changing in the past!
76%

Total votes: 21

Chadwick

Time for this (again)

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 31 2018 3:04pm

Parliament's on holiday, the nights are drawing in and a balloon is headline news.
It can only mean one thing...

It's time for the annual Changing The Clocks news story! :clap:

This year, in keeping with current events, it's got an EU twist.
EU backs ending daylight saving time

So, what do think? Are you in or out?

kevinchess1

Re: Time for this (again)

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Aug 31 2018 11:27pm

MY Opinion
Would be to stay on permanent summer time or even double summer time
The normal argument is 'Scottish Farmers'
I don't have a problem with the Scots changing their clocks if they like
Having read the article it's about giving countries the freedom to do as they please
Yeah Like that gonna temp us back
Politically incorrect since 69

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Sep 01 2018 12:48am

I definitely prefer more light in the evenings , if the school kids have to go to school in the dark for 2 months at least it will be light when they come home :thumbup:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 01 2018 7:10am

The farmers and builders in the North of England and Scotland were against changing the clocks in the past due to daylight not arriving later than they needed. But now both groups say that with modern lighting it would not be a problem.

More people are killed on the roads in the dark winter mornings than at any other time of the year. So not changing the clocks would reduce accidents.

Many households would not be putting on lights so early if we stayed on summer time and that would cut the amount of electricity used helping to cut people's bills.

To me everyone wins and nobody loses if we stay on summer time. And it would be a benefit to those businesses who trade with Europe as the time difference would always be the same if they go ahead with scrapping changing the clocks as seems very likely.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Sep 01 2018 8:52am

blythburgh wrote:The farmers and builders in the North of England and Scotland were against changing the clocks in the past due to daylight not arriving later than they needed. But now both groups say that with modern lighting it would not be a problem.

More people are killed on the roads in the dark winter mornings than at any other time of the year. So not changing the clocks would reduce accidents.

Many households would not be putting on lights so early if we stayed on summer time and that would cut the amount of electricity used helping to cut people's bills.

To me everyone wins and nobody loses if we stay on summer time. And it would be a benefit to those businesses who trade with Europe as the time difference would always be the same if they go ahead with scrapping changing the clocks as seems very likely.
You've got it the wrong way round , staying on BST would ,in Winter, make it 1 hour darker in the mornings and 1 hour lighter in the evenings

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 01 2018 9:19am

expressman33 wrote:
blythburgh wrote:The farmers and builders in the North of England and Scotland were against changing the clocks in the past due to daylight not arriving later than they needed. But now both groups say that with modern lighting it would not be a problem.

You've got it the wrong way round , staying on BST would ,in Winter, make it 1 hour darker in the mornings and 1 hour lighter in the evenings
Not sure how I got it the wrong way round. I want to stay on British Summer Time. At the moment those of us who are up earlier than most will realise for a lot of the months we are on GMT time it is light when a lot of people are still in bed but dark at a time when virtually everyone is up and about
Thanked by: dustie, adamred6, xxxraichxxx
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Sep 01 2018 2:17pm

blythburgh wrote:
expressman33 wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
Not sure how I got it the wrong way round. I want to stay on British Summer Time. At the moment those of us who are up earlier than most will realise for a lot of the months we are on GMT time it is light when a lot of people are still in bed but dark at a time when virtually everyone is up and about
We would have more dark winter mornings.
Staying on BST would mean the clocks do not go back an hour at the end of October so it would stay dark in December till about 9:15am (instead of about 8:15am at the moment)

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Sat Sep 01 2018 7:57pm

It will stay as it is because the Govt does not care enough and any private members bills will be killed off as has always happened in the past
Thanked by: Richard Frost, xxxraichxxx

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Sep 01 2018 8:43pm

...or just move 1/2 hour and stick there permanently…? :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Sep 01 2018 8:48pm

If we moved 12 hours we could sleep all day :thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh