New season

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
Constantine

Re: New season

Post by Constantine » Sat Oct 20 2018 8:42pm

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Cardiff finally won a game. Beat Fulham 4-2. Granted it appears not that difficult to score against Fulham, but three points is three points.

Man of the match was someone called Josh Murphy. :)
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Oct 21 2018 12:06am

Constantine wrote:Yes! Yes! Yes!

Cardiff finally won a game. Beat Fulham 4-2. Granted it appears not that difficult to score against Fulham, but three points is three points.

Man of the match was someone called Josh Murphy. :)

Well done but I was more impressed with "The Seagulls" beating the "Magpies" at home and of course Boro went top of the Championship Friday night and appear to still be there!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Oct 21 2018 7:27am

I hate you two as now I have to check on even more teams and cheer when they win and sigh when they lose. :lol:

Well done Cardiff and especially to Josh Murphy who moved there from Norwich City, Norfolk born and bred as well
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sun Oct 21 2018 4:45pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Well done but I was more impressed with "The Seagulls" beating the "Magpies" at home and of course Boro went top of the Championship Friday night and appear to still be there!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm happy with that result as well.

All Cardiff needs are three other teams that are even worse in order to survive. :)

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sun Dec 30 2018 5:21pm

There is some BT Sport pundit named Chris Sutton who predicted that not only would Cardiff get relegated from the Premier League, they would be bottom of the table. And not only would Cardiff be bottom of the table, they would break Derby's record of the lowest ever points total in the Premier League. (1 win, 8 draws, 11 points, 2007-08 season)

Mr Sutton has been proved wrong about that final prediction, since Cardiff are now well past that 11 point total. We have 18 whole points, including 3 from a first away win against Leicester. (A stunning injury-time strike against the run of play.) Of course, Mr Sutton's first two predictions might still turn out to be true. But it's now half way, and we're 16th,

In other leagues, a certain Norwich City are second in the Championship and, more importantly, 33 points ahead of Ipswich.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:50am

Not a real footie fan of any club so whilst chuffed at how well Norwich are doing I am disappointed with how badly Ipswich are doing. But as the owner sees it more as a way of having fun and saving on tax and the new manager is the one who walked out on Norwich I cannot cry over it. According to 'im indoors there were many posts on the Pink Un forum (used to be a newspaper brought out after the match that was printed on pink paper) we should bring back "the messiah". Now those voices have slunk back into the corner because of the table position and the fact that he is now manager at "the enemy". But he will move on as soon as he gets a better offer of course so "the messiah" will not be down the road for that long.

But it is early days I know but well done to Cardiff for proving the "experts" wrong. Hope the bluebirds keep confounding the pundits.

Bu what has really ruined my Christmas is not the loss of points by Norwich but the gains by Leeds that puts them top of the league. :thumbdown:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Dec 31 2018 3:26pm

The reason why Cardiff's rapid demise has been predicted is quite straightforward.There is a Global Sports Salaries Survey which claims to provide data on the average basic annual first team pay for every major sporting league. As far as the EPL is concerned, at £957,471 Cardiff City has the lowest average pay in the league. The next lowest is Huddersfield at £1,238,000, followed by Burnley at £1,603,197; the league average is £2,990,726. As the report says;

Wages alone would see Cardiff, Huddersfield and Burnley drop - and if they don’t that is testament to managers punching above their weight.

This is understandable, since there is a strong statistical correlation between pay and success in the EPL. So given the the large gap between Cardiff's average pay and the likes of Huddersfield and Burnley, let alone the truly humongous chasm compared to the likes of even Leicester, they would be clear favourites to be relegated.

God only knows how they've managed to get to 16th. But perhaps Warnock does.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 31 2018 4:32pm

Great manager in human terms and seems to be good at his job. Maybe Cardiff board are being sensible and not paying over the top wages in case it turned out to be a single season in the Premiership.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Wed Jan 23 2019 6:11pm

After the excitement of the away win at Leicester, things have gone a bit downhill. Knocked out of the cup by Gillingham, and we couldn't even beat bloody Huddersfield.

The problem being that Cardiff doesn't really have a fit striker that can knock the ball in the net. On Saturday Warnock signed one. Emiliano Sala, an Argentinian playing for Nantes FC. Club record signing of £15m.

As some may have noticed in the news, on Monday Sala was flying in a small plane from Nantes to Cardiff, and the plane went down somewhere over the Channel Islands. No trace whatsoever. He's gone.

Somehow football don't matter so much anymore.
Thanked by: pakefield

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 24 2019 10:14am

Two families hoping for a miracle, one family hounded by the media.

What hit me the hardest was the final messages sent by Sala. Made it so real to me. No longer a plane crash even if you could put a face to one of the victims but more like being involved with them. Very chilling report on the radio for me.