POLL SELL: Cineworld Group

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

Re: POLL SELL: Cineworld Group

Postby Derbiean » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:As this whole thread is about discussion, rather than a poll. I thought that was what I was doing. Just adding and contributing to the discussion. If you thought otherwise, then I am sorry but you misread my post.

You did indeed I don't agree with what you put but its a fair point sorry if my post seems aggressive it wasn't my intention :thumbup:
Derbiean

Postby Beachboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:58 pm

I fully agree with the idea that we should back our winners. However the problem at the moment is that we do not really know when we have a winner or at least how much of a winner. That is not a criticism of the CIC or its members just an observation that none of us are experts in this field and/or have acquired sufficient knowledge to be considered a proficient amateurs. By that I mean none of us know how much a shares potential is or not at present and so we have have no idea when we should be cashing out. We have seen several occasions where a share has been 15-25% up but has then dropped back to a negative position (e.g. both United Utility holdings, Medica Group, Vodaphone, GSK, Cineworld). Taking the current discussion we are having here regarding Cineworld there has been suggestion that taking a £100 profit might be cashing out too early and quite possibly it is but currently we are holding the share and just hoping for the best. If it goes up we will be pleased if it goes down disappointed but eitherway as we are sat here today no-one really knows or has any insight which way it will go. I have picked this share because it is the topic of this thread but in truth I think we could say we are not sure about the exit point or strategy for most of our shares.

I am enjoying being a member of the club (obviously not the losses!) and the element of pooling funds to experiment on the stock markets in a way I would not normally do. However I do think it would make sense as a club to try and take at least some incremental gains (e.g. say a quick £50-£100 profit like we did with Barclays) to get back to a breakeven point overall to start attracting new members. Currently we are about £1k down but with a few cashouts at £50-£100 profit we would get back to breakeven and I feel that might start giving new members the confidence to join whereas at the moment many of the discussions understandably refer to our past woes. Then maybe we review the situation. However whatever course we take I do think we need to decide what our exit strategy is for each share and how much potential each share has (and/or how much income we consider acceptable/unacceptable for our income generating stocks).

Thanked by: garindanDerbieankevinchess1
Beachboy

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:Why would you even consider selling a share because it has made £100. Better to let the parameters kick in and even possibly revise them if the feeling is that it has the potential to go up further. Selling for the sake of selling and to create activity is never a good idea.

Are there parameters?

Surely the whole point of the club is to be buying/selling shares?
Politically incorrect since 69
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby kevinchess1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

parchedpeas wrote:Did we ever get around to working on a new system for running the club and deciding winners and losers? Might be worth turning our attention to this for 2019.

Think the Chairman had a quick look and said 'Why sell any shares that are losing?'

That was it
Politically incorrect since 69
kevinchess1

Sharing: *

Postby garindan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:27 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:Did we ever get around to working on a new system for running the club and deciding winners and losers? Might be worth turning our attention to this for 2019.

Think the Chairman had a quick look and said 'Why sell any shares that are losing?'

That was it

What I actually said is if we bought a share for income then the current price is not very important on the face of it and whilst there is considerable income (~5-8% for most of these shares per year) then why would we feel the need to sell, especially when there are either no or limited suggestions for investing elsewhere that show great promise. Investors don't normally sell their long-term investments unless something dramatically changes on their income. To be fair the income has been pretty good year on year for those we have.

As has been mentioned - United Utilities is a good example of price fluctuation over the years we have held the shares. We could have cashed out at ~10% up a couple of times. Now it is at a low but seems to be going into a slight recovery again. The same could be said for a number of our shares, like beachboy rightly points out. Unfortunately none of us have a crystal ball to know the exact time to sell and buy to maximise the profit each time.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.
garindan

Postby AAAlphaThunder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:32 am

We've also been paid our first dividend for Cineworld not long ago:

Interim Dividend
Ex-Dividend: 13/09/2018
Payment Date: 05/10/2018
Amount: 4.85¢

A nice and easy £7.40 in the bank. With the final divided due in Q2.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club
AAAlphaThunder

Previous

Return to Cashback Investment Club