What is a "service"?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

What is a "service"?

Post by macliam » Thu Aug 18 2022 4:35pm

Yesterday I returned from a visit to my sister. After the first two parts of the journey (3.5 hours) I arrived at Liverpool street to find that "adverse weather conditions" (!) had caused the cancellation of the previous train and a delay in the arrival of mine..... Adverse weather conditions apparently was rain, never seen in the UK!

Anyway, my train arrived 15 minutes after it should have left.... and I had the pleasure of standing for the first half of the journey, nose-to-nose with fellow passengers like in a rush-hour tube. This delay was exacerbated by then "meeting" two local "stopper" trains, which meant we travelled a fair part of the journey at their speed.... and that was SLOWWWWWWWW. S0, the result was that my 1hr 10 minute third-leg of four journey took 2 hours and I missed my connection at the other end. That added a further 10 minute delay to get the "next" local train.

Since this difference had meant an extra hour to my journey and an eventual arrival time at my local station at 2040, not 1940, I decided to change my plan to walk the half-hour from the local station (now in the dark on barely-lit roads) and get off at the station before and take a taxi home. So that's what i did..... but all this is only the preamble!!

I went straight to the cab office, which is actually in the station building. I said I needed a cab to my house (3 miles away). "Don't have one, mate", said the controller.
"So how long until you will have one,?" I asked.... accepting that I'd have to wait (rather than schlepping 3 miles on semi-rural roads at night, dragging a wheeled suitcase).
"Can't say, mate", was the reply... "Dunno when I could even fit you in...."

Great. So, I dragged my case to the bus stop...... last bus at 18.35 - useful, eh? So I called another cab firm on a local number. Bad news, the call got transferred, twice. I asked for a cab..... "Don't cover that area". Feeling like I was in a Monty Python sketch, I asked "Then, pray, what is the point of providing a local number?" CLICK, dead line.

So I started my walk. I stopped at a pub half way to have a half of cider and a rest and got home just after 2200..... almost 8 hours since starting my journey. I felt pretty good that at my age, dragging a suitcase, in the dark (and with a 20 minute break) I had completed a google-estimated 55-minute walk in about 1 hr 10..... But I did feel every inch of the three miles and had to disentangle various dried bits of vegetation from the wheels of my case.

However, the station cab company is described as a "Taxi Service" and licensed as such. So how does a company that cannot provide a cab to someone at 2040 on a weekday qualify as a service? :eh: We'll leave out the obvious "don't give a sh*t" attitude of the fat controller, safe behind his plexiglass shield...... :twisted:

I've just put in a claim for my delayed journey...... a refund of the £40 would make life sweeter, but pigs don't fly, so I bet it's pro-rata.... :roll:

Still.... feel an email to the local council about that cab service coming on!
Thanked by: blythburgh, Oggy
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Re: What is a "service"?

Post by macliam » Sat Aug 20 2022 12:54pm

As an unexpected update to this - I made a claim for the delay to my rail journey and have today received a refund of the entire cost of the ticket :D ...... Yes the entire cost of all 4 individual legs. I had expected to be offered some pittance as compo for the leg that actually caused the overall delay, but no....

No doubt this will somehow be claimed by the rail company aginst the track company and then the individual drop of rain will be prosecuted, leading to the taxpayer funding my compensation..... but for now I feel a bit lifted.... 8-)
Thanked by: MrsXfile

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Aug 20 2022 1:05pm

So a full refund in 48hrs. It takes EDF longer than that just to acknowledge reply to an email in which they ask for my name and address for security reasons. Despite the fact that I gave them the account number and the email was sent from the email account registered to the account address.

All I actually want from then is an up to date bill. It is well over 6 months since I had one.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Aug 20 2022 1:30pm

Yes I was gobsmacked this AM to get a follow-up to my claim asking for further details (including a request for a "reference" that is not explained and soes not exit on the ticket). Because this was a "bargain" advance single, covering a train to London, a cross-london tube, a train from London and the local connection, I fully expected the claim to be denied or paid pro-rata, since it was the third leg that caused all the delay and meant that I had to take a later final connection.

Anyway, I supplied the detail I could and sent the claim back, asking for a refund via Paypal. I was concerned that there was no acknowledgement email to the updated claim, when, lo and behold, I got an advice from paypal that my account had been credited! I'm still pinching myself!!

With regard to your EDF issues.... I was with Bulb. I had a smart meter fitted in February, but they couldn't do my gas meter because they needed a connecting part. The fitter said he had the part for e-on but not Bulb. So I emailed Bulb and then emailed about the email and then emailed about the email about the email.... still no reply to say when they will complete the job. Meanwhile the monitor for the smart meter has now lost contact and just keeps resetting. Pathetic.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Aug 20 2022 9:03pm

I had smart meters fitted six months ago. Electric one works fine, the gas has not worked since it was fitted despite numerous visits since. I have given up now and told them if they want the meter read they will have to come and do it themselves as because of its position I am unable to.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Aug 20 2022 10:06pm

Technology, eh?

Makes you proud..........

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Aug 21 2022 10:37am

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Aug 20 2022 1:05pm
So a full refund in 48hrs. It takes EDF longer than that just to acknowledge reply to an email in which they ask for my name and address for security reasons. Despite the fact that I gave them the account number and the email was sent from the email account registered to the account address.
I'll add EON to the list.

I emailed them on their complaints email - didn't even get an auto response. A week later I followed up, again no response.
Fortunately their website tells you to escalate to their CEO and provides an email address for that. (Obviously it doesn't go to the CEO, but at least they suggest an escalation route). At least I got an auto response from that, and from the subsequent follow up 10 days later. But as yet, no human being has replied to 4 separate emails.

So I now have two complaints.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Aug 21 2022 11:51am

When my meter was first fitted and not working I called the Call Centre several times only to get fobbed off every time after waiting oodles of times for them just to answer. In the end I escalated it to their complaints Department after googling the direct number. Number was answered within a few rings and the person answering the call took ownership of the complaint and dealt with it from start to finish. Following through and arranging appointment for the meter people to come. The result was the same though. It is still not working. In eventually closing the (unresolved complaint) I was given a £35 courtesy payment. The only benefit to me in the whole sorry saga. It did teach me a lesson though. I will never call their call centre again but now email if I have an issue. It does take longer, but I have a paper trail and am not holding on to their phone line for hours.

My neighbour uses Snail Mail for all her interaction with EDF. She writes to Exeter Their HO and often gets replies from Sunderland where they have a call centre. It looks like she has the same problem as me with her Smart Meters as they were connected last month and the Electric one is working while the Gas is not.

It seems to me that the technology they use for gas smart meters is just not up to the job in many cases.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Aug 21 2022 8:55pm

While I'm having a moan, Barclays can also go on the list.
My elderly mother-in-law needed a new cheque book. One should just arrive in the post but it hadn't.
With no local branch (there used to be one in town, but it closed a few years ago), no nearby branch open on a Saturday (when I could drive her over) and no internet banking, her only option was to phone them. There is one number. For everything. Every branch, every query, every customer.

After actual wait times of 40 minutes and 20 minutes ("Expected wait time is 10 mins"), and quoted wait times of over an hour (we didn't bother waiting) it became clear that this was also not an effective method for contacting them. I tried walking into a branch and asking them to send a chequebook to whatever name and address was registered on the account - I appreciate they can't share that information with a stranger. But no, that's not possible either.

We hadn't realised that Barclays wouldn't answer the phone when you called them.

The situation was only resolved when miraculously the cheque book turned up the post just before she ran out.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Aug 22 2022 3:13pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Aug 20 2022 9:03pm
I had smart meters fitted six months ago. Electric one works fine, the gas has not worked since it was fitted despite numerous visits since. I have given up now and told them if they want the meter read they will have to come and do it themselves as because of its position I am unable to.
You're lucky the electric smart meter is working - Plans to cut energy bills if peak-time use avoided
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62626908